Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2020, 03:59 PM   #1

Default Heat strip question

Thanks for your help in advance. I’m currently plugged in at my house with my 2010 Funfinder. It is equipped with the heat strip option. However, when I click it on, it just blows cold air from the ceiling vents. We took our first camping trip last week, and it did the same thing plugged in at the site. My furnace is working, but I’m confused on why the heat strip option isn’t.

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't have one but from what I've heard, heat strips don't put out very much heat. Supposedly they will take the chill off but that's about it. OTOH if you aren't getting any heat at all maybe the element has failed or else a connection has come loose?

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #3

Are you sure you have a heat strip? On my 2010 the control says that it does but after our first trip out all it blew was cool air. Taking the A/C cover off on the ceiling and looking at the duct coming in I saw where the strip plugs in but no strip. Went back to the dealer and they told me that it was an added option and they could order it for me. For the price they wanted we got ceramic heater that is a lot less noisy the the A/C unit.
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citycamper View Post
Are you sure you have a heat strip? On my 2010 the control says that it does but after our first trip out all it blew was cool air. Taking the A/C cover off on the ceiling and looking at the duct coming in I saw where the strip plugs in but no strip. Went back to the dealer and they told me that it was an added option and they could order it for me. For the price they wanted we got ceramic heater that is a lot less noisy the the A/C unit.
Ditto. My roof A/C has the setting on the controls for the heater but no strip. They are 1500 Watt Strips.

You will be much better off with a small ceramic type heater.
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
APD

We use a little ceramic heater in cold weather also. If fact my "to-do" list includes installing a dedicated outlet for the heater. Probably at the baseboard of the kitchen cabinets. My goal is to piggy-back off the breaker for the air conditioner (since they won't be operating at the same time) and thus free up the electrical load on the normal breakers.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:03 AM   #6
Site Team

I use a small 1500 W space heater as well. I think it cost less than $30 and it's much, much quieter than the propane heater. I plug it into the microwave outlet since that's a dedicated circuit. And I typically need it overnight so no need for the mw.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote