Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2023, 10:20 AM   #1

Default Help me find the right tires for my 2008 X189FD

Hi all - time to replace the tires on our trailer. They're 205/75R14 so that gets me started. When we tow we're usually a bit slower to reduce the fuel cost, but have been known to cruise at 120 km/h so I'll want a speed rating of at least L.

It gets trickier after that, though. For the load rating it says to either consult your owner's manual (which doesn't seem to include specific information for my trailer) or purchase according to the tires currently on the trailer (which is great, if the last owner put on the right kind). It's a light trailer (2660 lbs dry) and dual axle, so a wild guess would be that I'd maybe estimate 3500 lbs max loaded up, divide by 2 since it's dual axle and so require a load index of at least 99 (for 1709 pounds)?

And I can choose between 6 and 8 plies, but I'm not sure which is better. From what I can see, if a 6-ply will provide the load ratings I need it will actually wear better and ride more smoothly... more plies makes for a stiffer sidewall to handle more weight but also a rougher ride.

We only use it in the summer and don't tend to put on tons of distance, so I expect that whatever tires I choose will likely age out before their tread is gone. And we're not doing back-country or off-road... the roughest terrain we usually encounter is between the campground entrance and the spot.

So, based on all of this, if I'm looking for 205/75R14 with speed rating of L+, load index of 99+, 6-ply ideal (but 8-ply still acceptable), I get a range of prices per tire from $95 (all prices in CAD) for a DurableMax RS03 (load index 100/96, speed rating M, 6-ply) to double that... $186 for Goodyear Endurance (load index 105, speed rating N, 8-ply).

That's assuming I should stick to ST (special trailer) tires. I can get the size I need in regular, non-trailer tires, too, which adds 4-ply to the equation.

I have no doubt that the Goodyears will be better than the DurableMax, but either will be susceptible to a nail on the highway and will eventually age and need to be replaced, so are the Goodyears $400 better? Or do I go for a Carlisle somewhere in the middle?

RhythmMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 04:10 PM   #2

After doing some more research it sounds like the MAXXIS M8008 + is a really good option, and kind of midrange in terms of price... I can get the C load-rated for $116 each or D load-rated for $131 each. Sounds like they've found a sweet spot in terms of more durability and less rolling resistance for a good price.

Old 05-14-2023, 11:54 AM   #3

On my 2010 189fbs I runMaxxis radial M 8008, load range C, ST205/75R14. Do not buy Carlisle tires. I am very happy with the Maxxis, have had them for 6 years, this is the last year I will run them. Have done speeds up to 60mph for many miles. I bought 5 and rotate them every spring. One note for you....one of my springs broke last year going off the hwy and not seeing the 8 inch drop at edge of pavement into overlook area. Lippert recommended I replace all four springs due to age, which I did.
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 02:48 PM   #4

I have same trailer 2007, and I'm going with Goodyear Endurance. Yes cost more but several testimonials on YouTube regarding what are called 'China Bombs'. I want a brand name, reputable tire and not some cheap made in China ****. It's my life, my families life not to mention the others on the road around me.
whatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn marmot View Post
On my 2010 189fbs I runMaxxis radial M 8008, load range C, ST205/75R14. Do not buy Carlisle tires. I am very happy with the Maxxis, have had them for 6 years, this is the last year I will run them. Have done speeds up to 60mph for many miles. I bought 5 and rotate them every spring. One note for you....one of my springs broke last year going off the hwy and not seeing the 8 inch drop at edge of pavement into overlook area. Lippert recommended I replace all four springs due to age, which I did.
Thanks! If the C load works for yours with the slide then they should be good for mine without! We just had brakes and bearings done last year... trying to remember if they did springs at the same time, but I'll look into it!
Old 05-14-2023, 07:55 PM   #6

I decided to skip the cheap Chinese tires, roo. The Maxxis have great reviews as well... seem better than the GY in some aspects, not as good in others, but still significantly less expensive.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:33 AM   #7

I do run Carlisle tires. I have them on a 2011 fun finder x210 wbs with no problems. By the way Carlisle tires are made in the U. S. I run them on my utility trailer as well.

dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote