Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2020, 04:52 AM   #21

Yikes, twinster, you are right. Let's hope that's not the case.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #22

I still have found anyone to look at it. Waiting on a family member to find some time.

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #23

I had an RV mobile mechanic come to my house and it is the tank that is corroded and needs replaced. Thought we had it fixed with the tightening of a few lines, but it is leaking from the tank. I found a tank on Amazon for $413, and it’s $100 for him to install. Thanks for all your help! Really appreciate it.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #24

Ouch. That's a big number. On the other hand, at least now you know what's going on.

Be sure to calendar an annual check of your anode -- that is the key to avoiding corrosion. Good luck with the repair!!
Old 10-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #25

That WAS a spendy fix! I was really hoping that it was going to be a much simpler and less expensive solution (like a leak at a fitting or valve). I have been careful to thoroughly drain the water heater tank and remove the anode when the camper is prepped for storage. The anode rod still had plenty of "donor" material left on it so I didn't have to replace it when the camper came out of storage this year. I do have a "new, still in the packaging" anode rod ready to go when the current one is used up. RE: thorough draining, that includes using a wet vac to remove the water that is below the anode plug opening, sopping up the water the vac doesn't get and then leaving the tank open to air allowing the rest of the moisture to evaporate out. To my knowledge, I've not had an issue with any "critters" taking up residence in the tank but I suppose I could tape some screen over the opening.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:16 AM   #26

Yep, those $12 anode rods can sure save a boat load of money. Same with a couple $3 jugs of RV antifreeze or $5 cartridge of bearing grease. The moral here is a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #27

Another note on this problem is to drain the tank at the end of every season, since it can only be drained by taking out the anode rod it’s a good time to inspect it and replace if it appears corroded. Also run the front jack up to its highest point to tilt the trailer back to help drain the tank. I also put a plastic pipe in and try to suck out any remaining water. In my 2010 I have replaced the anode 4 times over the years.
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citycamper View Post
Another note on this problem is to drain the tank at the end of every season, since it can only be drained by taking out the anode rod it’s a good time to inspect it and replace if it appears corroded. Also run the front jack up to its highest point to tilt the trailer back to help drain the tank. I also put a plastic pipe in and try to suck out any remaining water. In my 2010 I have replaced the anode 4 times over the years.
Very good point, always drain tank and inspect anode rod at end of season.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote