Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #1

Default How much insurance do you carry on the TT?

We have been trading out cars and pickups since we bought the trailer and have been paying month to month on our policy and it seems like our long time insurance company (Safeco) just gets more and more expensive. I thought I'd shop around when the dust settled and that time has finally arrived.

Since we traded up to a 2500 pickup and are pulling more weight with the newer trailer, we raised bodily injury to $250K/$500K. Most of the quotes I've gotten online have property damage at $100K.

What I seem to spend more time wondering about is the actual RV coverage. Safeco limits trailer personal contents to $2500. That seems really low to me. That's 2 iphones and a couple of laptops. Their towing is limited to $120. I asked if that was a tow truck for cars or a tow truck for RVs and he didn't know. I also asked if that would cover towing the RV if only the truck was damaged. He didn't know but he didn't think so.

So I've been looking at Good Sam and AAA. Anyone use those for roadside assistance? Do you carry just the basic roadside or a higher level plan? Why? What do you think of it?

I've looked on other rv forums and hear the encouragement to go top dollar from a lot of members. I've always appreciated the down to earth advice given here so thought I'd ask before making a decision.

Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:03 AM   #2

I thought about Good Sam coverage as sounded good in their ads.

But after doing some research on the web about their 'service' and finding so many negative reviews, didn't.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I thought about Good Sam coverage as sounded good in their ads.

But after doing some research on the web about their 'service' and finding so many negative reviews, didn't.
I went with Good Sam a couple years ago and covered Home, Autos (2), and Trailers (2); they saved me several hundred $$ a year and the coverage was better. I recently swapped out the 2008 FF and added the 2018 Coleman, and lowered the deductible from a $1,000 to $500 for the new trailer; everything went quickly... no complaints here on Good Sam.

BTW, I usually call around every year or two and checked on others before renewal in 2018; Good Sam still came in way ahead, so I stated with them again...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
I went with Good Sam a couple years ago and covered Home, Autos (2), and Trailers (2); they saved me several hundred $$ a year and the coverage was better. I recently swapped out the 2008 FF and added the 2018 Coleman, and lowered the deductible from a $1,000 to $500 for the new trailer; everything went quickly... no complaints here on Good Sam.

BTW, I usually call around every year or two and checked on others before renewal in 2018; Good Sam still came in way ahead, so I stated with them again...
So you went with Good Sam for full coverage, not just roadside assistance? I was thinking of using Good Sam or one of the others just for roadside. My regular policy won't begin to cover towing if we are on a trip.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #5

I add my trailer to my existing vehicle insurance. It is automatically covered for PL/PD (no added cost) at whatever limits I've chosen, plus $50 per year for comprehensive/collision on my 2013 210 UDS (I set the actual cash value at $12,000). That's through Hartford (it is an AARP policy but is NOT through AARP - you do not have to be an AARP member to get their rates through Hartford in most states). I have just shopped this insurance and only one company was a few dollars less (not worth moving).
Even though my auto policy includes road service, I also buy Good Sam. My Jeep blew up a couple weeks ago (radiator/hoses/water pump, etc.) on way out of town for a month in Nevada (thank goodness it happened in town). Guy showed up in 30 minutes, put TV on flat bed, hooked up TT and towed it home (and parked it for me which is a really tight spot around a 90 degree next to house with a drop off) and then took TV to dealership. I've only used them three times in 12 years, but always great. It's good to know you are going to get someone who can deal with both your TV and TT.
lucynricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #6

I got a quote from Hartford too. It was the lowest quote but didn't include personal property in the trailer, vacation liability, or emergency expenses. All the quotes I got were different in some way which made them hard to compare. By the time I got all the quotes to agree on the same amounts of coverage, my local insurance agent had the best price. I still need to sign up for Good Sam for roadside and towing.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #7

I had mine added to my auto insurance as well. So it’s only covered when im the one that tows it with my car. Car 2M liability. It only cost me another $150 or so to add it. I store it indoors in winter.
dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:13 PM   #8

I'd like to bump this discussion and ask: Are there more recent posts/comments re:Insurance coverage?

I decided to join GoodSam last year, in part because they had a 50% discount going when I bought their membership in November.

I also purchased their roadside service, since they claim to offer service in Mexico, along with Trip Interruption Assistance and Emergency Medical Referral Service in case of medical emergencies, injury, or illness which not many other policies included.

My first experience with their roadside service was mixed. My truck battery died, and I called for a jump. They responded quickly and got me on my way, but I didn't drive it enough to fully charge and got stuck again. That time, after waiting over an hour, I called Auto Club.

I'm curious- what are other peoples experiences re:roadside and insurance claims?
WaltzingMatilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:08 PM   #9

I have never purchased a roadside service policy ever and been driving all over the USA since the early 60's...running a semi tractor w/flatbed, moving mobile homes, driving a wrecker, traveling by automobile/pickup/motorcycle and been towing a camper since 2012.
Other than maybe 3 flat tires - last one over 20 years ago - have never once needed any roadside service so am big bucks ahead of the game.