Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #1

Default How much weight can a celano grill frame support?

Hi all!

I have a 2008 funfinder that came with a celano grill that fits on a rail on the side of the camper. We never ever use it, and I was thinking maybe I could build a table that uses that little black metal frame that came with the grill. How much weight do you think it could hold before I rip it right off the side of the camper? A grill does not weigh much. I don't really want to put much on it but it needs to be something that would be useful and not something that can just hold two beers and a bag of chips. Although two beers in a bag of chips might be very useful.

Thanking you all in advance for your answers,

Liz

PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #2

I think someone else posted that they did that. use 1/2" plywood and you should be fine. We are going to do that so dh can put his coffee pot out there.

Don't take the rail off because then you have holes to fill and they never look right.

Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #3

Perhaps weigh the grill (with food for grilling) which will tell you the weight it places on the camper rail. I'd think you could exceed that weight slightly.

Such would prevent overloading the rail by not exceeding the designed rail load. And one could always add a single folding leg centered under the outside edge of the table too.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Such would prevent overloading the rail by not exceeding the designed rail load. And one could always add a single folding leg centered under the outside edge of the table too.
I like the leg idea Turns out I don't have any scrap 1/2" plywood, so the project will wait awhile

Thanks for your suggestions - they will be helpful!

Liz
Old 09-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #5

Thanks! Just looked, and don't have thin plywood gonna have to wait awhile. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #6

I had some left over thin laminate flooring that I used to make a shelf for mine. The "shelf" is thin enough it's easily transported under the mattress.

EDIT: added picture. When I snapped the laminate pieces together, I ran a bead of exterior glue in the joint to it would stay together. On the bottom side it has three small blocks of wood glued to it to position it so it can't move on the bracket. I have decided I am going to add a trim rail around the three outside edges. As to how much it would hold, I would guess that would depend if any of the screws bit into an aluminum "stud" in the wall.

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photographics View Post
I had some left over thin laminate flooring that I used to make a shelf for mine. The "shelf" is thin enough it's easily transported under the mattress.

EDIT: added picture. When I snapped the laminate pieces together, I ran a bead of exterior glue in the joint to it would stay together. On the bottom side it has three small blocks of wood glued to it to position it so it can't move on the bracket. I have decided I am going to add a trim rail around the three outside edges. As to how much it would hold, I would guess that would depend if any of the screws bit into an aluminum "stud" in the wall.
Now that is a NEAT idea. I have a bunch of laminate flooring left from my son's remodel. Hmmmm .... Thanks!!!

Liz
Old 09-29-2017, 12:47 PM   #8

Update, I added a little "edge/rail" around the front and ends.

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #9

Smart idea to keep things from rolling off��
Old 09-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #10

That's a really good job!! Looks great! Motivating me to put it back on my list of things to do

Liz

PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, grill, table