Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

Question Info please

Looking to buy a 2015 cruiser Fun F189fds this week. I have a 2010 6 cyl. toyota tacoma 4 door. Will this pull ok? Is there any thing I need to check out. Single lady looking to buy.

getaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #2

Here are your trailer specs. You need to add the dry weight to the carrying capacity to get the estimated loaded weight of the trailer. Don't forget that water weighs over 8 pounds per gallon if you will travel with it.
You need to find out the towing capacity and maximum tongue weight of your tow vehicle to determine how much it will tow safely.
Someone on here may have a similar rig. Happy camping!!
Specifications
Maximum Sleeping Capacity: 5
Number Of Slideouts: 1
Length (ft-in / m): 19' 3'' / 5.9
Interior Height (in / mm): 81 / 2057.4
Base Weight (lbs / kg): 3425 / 1553.6
Carrying Capacity (lbs / kg): 2655 / 1204.3
Hitch Weight (lbs / kg): 480 / 217.7
Number Of Axles: 2
Air Conditioning (BTUs): 13500
Furnace:20000

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #3

We tow a slightly smaller trailer (the X-139) with almost exactly the same truck -- 4WD 2013 Tacoma, 4 door, 6 cyl, 4 liter (I think). It's a workhorse -- up and down steep hills no problem. Does your truck have the built in transmission cooler? That is a good thing -- maybe not essential, but very useful.

Be sure to use the lower gears when going downhill -- the brakes are very beefy, but you do not want to overheat them.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #4

Do you have the tow package on your truck? Fully loaded the trailer could top 6500 lbs.

1. Tacoma models start from just $16,365 with top models priced at a $10,000 premium.

2. Two engines are offered, a 2.7L 4-cylinder with 159-hp and 180 ft-lbs of torque, or a 4.0L V6 with 236-hp and 266 ft-lbs of torque.

3. Regular Cab and the
Access
Cab
models
get a 73.5-inch bed, while Double Cab models bring a choice in box lengths with the 73.5-inch bed or a chopped 60.3-inch bed.

4. The standard tow rating is 3,500 lbs., with V6 models sporting the optional tow package capable of hauling up to 6,500 lbs.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:41 AM   #5

Here's my rule of thumb, said it before:

Don't tow anything that is more than 75% of the rated max towing of your truck.

Take your "dry" weight" ad at least 1000 lbs, and compare to the rated towing ability of your truck.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
Site Team

The short answer is - maybe. The 2010 Tacoma has a tow capacity of between 3500 and 6500 lbs depending on how it's equipped per the trailer life magazine towing guide. You can google this. But as previously mentioned there are other factors you need to take into account. The weight of cargo being carried, hitch weight even the weight of passengers and gear in the truck. Here is a website that has a good explanation of all the terms and a calculator that will help figure out what you can safely tow. Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #7

Hi getaann,
See if you can find someone that can give you the actual data from the trailer you are interested in; e.g., "Data Plate" information or trailer mfg. spec sheets.
You can see on the attached pic of my data plate where there is the GVWR of 6095 lbs... This is the the Gross Vehicle Weight (Gross Trailer Weight). The manual lists a cargo capacity of 2705 pounds; HOWEVER, THE MANUAL GOES ON TO SAY THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE APPLIANCES, therefore, I would need to SUBTRACT all appliances, so I go by GVWR and actual weight when loaded. In my case, this is the 6095 weight. My trailer is also a toyhauler, and may be heavier and have a Different GVWR than yours...

Just my two cents for you and good luck on your find...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160606_182247854-1.jpg  

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverRick View Post
Here's my rule of thumb, said it before:

Don't tow anything that is more than 75% of the rated max towing of your truck.

Take your "dry" weight" ad at least 1000 lbs, and compare to the rated towing ability of your truck.

Good rule of thumb Rick... Did you mean Gross weight as the "Dry weight" plus 1000# could be lighter than the Gross weight (My Dry weight is 2705# plus 1000# is only 3705#)... My trailer GVWR is 6095# and my TV lists a max trailer weight (for a tongue trailer) at 10,900#... putting my Gross Trailer weight almost 4000# Less than Gross Tow weight allowance of Truck... The truck handles great and tows easily without a WD hitch...
No argument intended, just curious as it sounded like you meant "Gross" in lieu of "Dry" weight...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #9

Dry weight refers to the actual real weight of the trailer as it exits the assembly plant. Sometimes listed on the data plate as the "unloaded" vehicle weight. There are often two data plates on the trailer, one outside with just max allowed weights and inside a cupboard with the total real weight as manufactured. (includes appliances etc).
Then you add the allowable carrying weight, (liquids & personal property) and you get the gross vehicle weight. So your dry + added ins cargo & liquids shouldn't add up to more than the Gross weight allowed.

The GVWR is the absolute maximum that the trailer should ever weigh when loaded. In real life with a stuffed trailer and loaded tanks, it can come very close to that.

When I said Dry weight plus 1000 lbs, I should have been clearer, that is the minimum to consider. Adding 2-3000 lbs to your real dry weight is more realistic. Especially if ANY of your tanks are even half full.

Once you have this figure, like I said, 75% of your towing vehicle's "rated" towing ability is recommended. Not only safer, but I've learned the hard way that you will kill a vehicle very fast or at least spend a fortune on repairs if you regularly exceed this! Of course a weight distributing hitch with sway bars will mitigate your results a lot.

Yes, at 10,900 lbs rated tow capacity any way you add it up for you, you're well within the 75% rule!

Even though you feel that you are towing quite well w/o a WDH, don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em. I think they are the best thing available. So much safer. Our p/ups are rated the same (mine is a '16 GMC max tow) . My trailer is close to 4000 lbs dry, so about 6000 lbs on the road. So like you I am well under my max ability, and the truck almost tows like the trailer isn't there, however the WDH prevents 90% of any sway, and keeps my headlights pointing onto the roadway instead of up in the trees!

GM/Chev shows the 10,900 max assuming a WDH.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by getaann View Post
Looking to buy a 2015 cruiser Fun F189fds this week. I have a 2010 6 cyl. toyota tacoma 4 door. Will this pull ok? Is there any thing I need to check out. Single lady looking to buy.
Most important is to find out if your truck has the tow package add ons.

If so your total recommended trailer weight is 6500 lbs which you will come close to.

If its the lower rating (3500 lbs) then you would be advised against towing that trailer.

Biggest difference is not the 4 cyl vs 6 cyl. Its the towing extras like aux trans cooling, heavier shocks, different rear end gear ratiosm etc etc.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #11

That trailer will weigh approx 4200 pounds if you pack reasonably and travel with empty water tanks.

You stated your Tacoma has a 6 cyl engine, so that means it has the 4.0L V6. Set the truck and trailer up with a good weight distributing hitch such as a reece, blue ox or equalizer. Have it set up "correctly" ( find someone who actually knows how to do it right, by using a scale such as CAT scale to verify settings ).
Use a good brake controller such as a prodigy and learn how to set it up and adjust it ( it comes with good easy to follow instructions ).

Your truck will pull that trailer fine from sea level to the highest passes of Colorado.

Enjoy your new camper and welcome to the forum.

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote