Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #1

Wink Jacknife sofa replacement

We have-a Funfinder Cruiser X 210 wbs. I would like to replace the jackknife sofa with some other option. It is heavy, uncomfortable and wobbly. It is in the slide area so not sure if we dan do this. I am researching but my hisband will do the work. Any and all info. Or cautionary measures or directions would be appreciated.

PattyElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:37 AM   #2

In my 2012 XT276, I removed the table and "U" benches around in - in the slideout and replaced it with two recliners and a coffee table between the recliners. FAR MORE COMFORTABLE!

Old 05-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #3

The big problem with the sofa is that under it is the slide mechanism as the slide doesn’t go down to the floor. Plus there is a wheel well poking up through the floor and a bunch of wiring for the slide. Think somebody on this site tried to do something also to the sofa but the posts links are dead.
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:35 PM   #4

I have an '09 XT245 which I bought (fortuitously) a month before Hurricane Irma struck. We lived in it 8-9 months at a time.

We removed the gaucho (jackknife sofa) from the right side and use two comfortable roll around chairs instead. It gives us more room, more comfortable seating, and we didn't need the (short) bed anyway. The other advantage of the rolling chairs is the ability to point them in any direction.

Taking the darned thing out was a bit of a trial because the mounting brackets are through bolted through the sidewall using captive bolts. Captive bolts don't exactly stay captive for a decade or longer. You can find the bolt heads under the decorative little circular caps on the outside surface of that wall. The caps eventually pry off. I think I grabbed the threads of the captive bolts with vise grips (shudder) to loosen the nut on the inside, then applied force through the hole on the bolt head and had a helper remove the nut the rest of the way. I also remember inventing a few new words and applying heat and penetrating oil to at least one nut. I believe the job took most of an afternoon.

Citycamper noted the interference issues with the slide and the wheelwell. I built a set of shelves above the wheel well and park the chairs in front of it. With your galley opposite the slide, you may not have the room to do that.
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:00 PM   #5

Do you mean swivel chairs? I am not sure what roll around chairs are? I am thinking of putting in 2 chairs instead.
PattyElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:20 PM   #6

Patty, sorry, I wasn't very clear.

The chairs I found are steel framed, low back, dining room chairs with arms but they do swivel and and they have casters so they roll around. (They are similar to and maybe modeled on the 1980s vintage Steelcase chairs.) Probably any "office" chair that's comfortable would do as good a job but these happen to be (relatively) small and very spare looking and they are comfy to sit on (obviously not a cube farm chair) so they worked very well for us in the narrow space we all have.

I really like the fact that they can move around easily in the cabin.
2013 GMC Sierra
Old 05-10-2021, 07:20 AM   #7

With casters on the bottom ... obviously you have to have a method to secure them when 'in transit' with the unit - ?
Old 05-10-2021, 08:08 AM   #8

Yep. I left the gaucho/jackknife sofa straps in place. They're long enough that they lash the chairs nicely up against the bookcase over the wheel well. Without the exiting strap mounts, I would have had to through-bolt a couple of eyes in that wall, probably using the holes left from the gaucho mounting brackets.
2013 GMC Sierra
Old 05-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #9

We also have the X210WBS and I removed the sofa last year because I wanted more space for our two large dogs. I believe that the sofa was only held to the wall area of the slide-out by a few wood screws. It came out of there without too much effort by pulling on it. (There are probably better approaches.) The sofa was somewhat bulky to get out the camper door, but I was able to do it.

Last week, we used a lightweight aluminum collapsible table with folding chairs and used the slide area as a dinette. I think it makes the space more versatile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyElliott View Post
We have-a Funfinder Cruiser X 210 wbs. I would like to replace the jackknife sofa with some other option. It is heavy, uncomfortable and wobbly. It is in the slide area so not sure if we dan do this. I am researching but my hisband will do the work. Any and all info. Or cautionary measures or directions would be appreciated.

deltamark is offline   Reply With Quote