Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #1

Default jumbled cabinet contents?

I find the T139 has plenty of storage for our stuff, and have arrived at a place for everything that suits us.
In the cabinet over the fridge/closet cabinet, I store canned goods, and other "hard" food packages. I have a two shelf rack to stack canned goods on.

In the cabinet over the stove, are all dishes, cups and drinking glasses, 2 single cup coffee devices and a few other misc. cooking things.

in the cabinet over the sink is fruit and veggies and chips and bread. "soft" packaged foods.

Every time we set up, each cabinet needs to be set straight. stuff bounces around and the little freestanding white wire shelves are useless. These cabinets are so nice and tall, I hate to waste all that space.

Does anyone have a solution to stabilizing this stuff? The bread and chip cabinet isn't too bad, the cabinet is smaller and the items are lighter. but the plastic dishes are all over the place, and the canned goods too.

I was thinking some of those stacking bins, or maybe plastic drawers. I'm not sure shelves would hold up to all that bouncing around. Be glad for any suggestions!

Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #2

I rebuilt the shelves out of quarter inch baltic birch ply, so that there were more shelves instead of large open areas with "stuff piled on stuff." Then, on each shelf, the stuff is packed in so tight that it can't move. We also use plastic containers for anything edible --otherwise the mice might get in and nibble on it.

Another trick: where I want to subdivide a shelf vertically (so things don't shift sideways), I have put in a few very thin bungee cords to hold the contents in place.

Also, the cabinets and drawers have to be locked -- otherwise, they can spring open on rough roads.

If all else fails, you could use rolled up towels as gap-fillers, to keep the contents from moving around.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #3

I'd like to add shelves, but feel my carpentry sKills are poor and DH is so busy with other things on his list, I hate to ask for them right now. I like the vertical bungee or other stop ideas, maybe those little springloaded bars they sell for fridges would work too. Also like the towel idea, maybe paper towel rolls and toilet paper would work too.
Eventually though, I suppose properly built shelves will be the answer. I just want them able to bear the weight and not damage the cabinetry.
Thank you!
Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote