Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to randyjames
Default Keeping mice out

We store our 2013 Fun Finder 244RBS under a canopy on some mountain property I own during the winter. I always have trouble with mice getting in during the winter and wreaking havoc. I have set up a multiple mouse trap and it has helped but keeping them out in the first place would be ideal. Any suggestions about mouse-proofing?

randyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyjames View Post
We store our 2013 Fun Finder 244RBS under a canopy on some mountain property I own during the winter. I always have trouble with mice getting in during the winter and wreaking havoc. I have set up a multiple mouse trap and it has helped but keeping them out in the first place would be ideal. Any suggestions about mouse-proofing?
It's pretty amazing how small of a hole a mouse can squeeze thru 😳. So, step one is to plug any avenue of entry. I stuff dryer sheets into anything that looks like it could lead to the outside of the trailer and potentially allow a mouse to gain access. I also crumple up dryer sheets and strew them about the interior (the cabin as well as storage areas). In the past I've also used Cab Fresh repellent packets with good success. They're available at Farm/Home stores and prolly local hardware stores. $15-$20 for a box of 4 packets. Nice piney woods aroma (that apparently mice hate). This year I added Grandpa Gus's Mouse Repellent to my armamentarium. They're slightly less expensive ($9-$11). They have a pleasant peppermint / cinnamon spicey aroma and can also be found at stores like those mentioned above. All of the above methods are for preventing or discouraging mice from getting in he camper. My final step is to place 2-3 poison bait stations just in case one of those pests makes it into my camper. In the 6 years that I've had my camper, I've yet to experience any "havoc" wreaked by those pests. In addition to all of that, when I dropped the camper off at the storage barn, my friend there told me that he had acquired (since last storage season) some excellent "mousing" cats😎. I'm feein' pretty good about the situation.
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #3

I had my trailer out at a friend's farm since September and was using it up until yesterday. Mice everywhere and they are looking for any place to nest. First thing is I do not cook inside the trailer. I will brew coffee or heat soup or oat meal. No high odor or oily and greasy foods. Next I take 3" sewer pipe and cut in 12" lenghts. I then buy 2 end caps for each piece and drill a 1" hole near the edge of one end cap. Place two bars of the green rodent bait in each tube and put one of each caps on each pipe. I choose the all- weather type it seems to last and is more potent. See attached photo. Place a pipe by a tire on each side and one at the Jack. Pets are protected from the bait and kids hands are too small to twist the end cap off. Works around buildings, vehicles, equipment. I was using the trailer out there until yesterday in minus 15 degrees C with water in the system and no problems with freezing or mice looking for a nice place to move into. Like the previous posts said you have to be aggressive with these little buggers. I believe part of the reason this works so well as they find the bait before they climb your tires and the tube make them feel secure and they eat in peace, then don't feel good and go back to their home. Silverado
Attached Thumbnails
20191103_092622.jpg  
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #4

One of the first things after getting my camper home after purchase was to check every place a line/wire or hose went thru the floor to the inside. I filled around those places with spray foam. In some areas, I stuff the opening first with stainless steel wool then spray foam. Mice won't chew thru steel wool, ever!
In the fall, I lay 4 -6 packets of Fresh Cab inside the camper in various places front to rear. It's available at WalMart and most farm/home stores and Amazon too. Normal price is about $10 -$12 for a box of 4 packets.
Since the spring of 2012, have never had a mouse invade as never anything chewed on or any mouse turds found.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:09 PM   #5

Great idea! I'll try it and post when I see what happens.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #6

I’ve never heard of using dryer sheets - that’s interesting. I have heard of using course steel wool because they won’t chew through it (but get the stainless steel wool, normal kind will rust into a mess)

Also baited traps around the exterior (not close to the trailer, about 10-15’ away). And if you have a dog, let them mark all around the perimeter of the trailer so there is a scent of a predator.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #7

Default mice

People here use dryer sheets but they say only the Bounce brand will keep the mice away. I work in a hardware store and we sell both Fresh Cab and also a product called Mouse Magic. I have used both products but have been lucky enough to store my camper in a mouseless truck bay anyway. Customers who buy Mouse Magic and Fresh Cab do like the products.
Willky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #8

When I bought my Fun Finder, the salesman suggested Irish Spring bar soap. I keep one in the storage area and several inside the cabin. So far, so good.
tbloesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #9

That's an easy one to try.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #10

Dryer sheets and Irish spring are old wives tales. Only solution I've found is close the holes.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #11

Old wives tale or not, I haven't had any mice. Of course, I have made sure there are no holes available for mice to enter through.
tbloesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbloesch View Post
Old wives tale or not, I haven't had any mice. Of course, I have made sure there are no holes available for mice to enter through.
Lol. I guess the mice I had didn't get the memo. They ate the soap and made nests out of the bounce sheets. The moth balls also didn't help. They just didn't care.

If your using steel wool the stainless wool is a better choice since it doesn't rust. I just use the pot scrubber kind.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #13

Can you connect the trailer to power where its stored? In our garage we plug in the units that make some sort of noise that we cannot hear. We've been doing it for years and it absolutely works. Plug on in, inside the trailer.
Good luck.
Setterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #14

No power where it is. maybe there's a battery operated version.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:11 AM   #15

As you are in the states, definitely buy Fresh Cab,, it works!! We used it years ago when it was allowed into Canada. Now we just make sure there are no holes that they can access. We also use Peppermint Oil in small shot glasses set around the closets and drawers and other corners. Good luck!
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #16

As for Fresh Cab ..... it is simply ground up corn cobs saturated with Balsam Fir Needle Oil. The Balsam Fir Needle Oil can be purchased by most sellers of Essential Oils .. like Amazon, Swanson Vitamins (https://www.swansonvitamins.com/q?kw=Balsam+Fir+Needle+Oil}, and many other sellers on the net. I use/like the one mady by "NOW" products.
Instead of buying new packets every year, simply re-saturate the packets with fresh balsam fir needle oil.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:25 AM   #17

I’m with eagle on this one, I think cousin Eddie went crazy with a sawzall making all the holes in mine instead of using a template to drill out the holes. Steel wool and spray foam no matter how small the hole is, especially under the bathtub area and sink areas. Another problem is that the rodents can jump up and snag the plastic fabric under the trailer, chew there way in and nest in the insulation. Solved this by using a goopy greasy undercoating that we use up here to rust proof the underside of vehicles. I sprayed everything under there including the frame and the axles, note wear a mask and some safety goggles when doing this as it tastes bad. Doesn’t effect the plastic at all
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #18

A follow-up to the mice problem. Didn't have the wherewithal to get under the trailer and plug the holes (knee replacements last summer). I did, however make the pipe bait holders and bought a Victor Tin Cat at a local farm supply. Put the bait holders at the wheels and the hitch base. Put poison bait in the Tin Cat and put it inside the trailer. When the snow finally melted off enough for me to get to the trailer, the bait had been totally devoured from the bait stations and the Tin Cat had about 6 mice in it. A few droppings but no damage. I also put mothballs in the lower cabinet and in the oven where they had made a nest previously and they didn't go there. Bought Irish Spring and put a bar here and there but don't believe it did any good.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:40 AM   #19

One possible solution for getting under the trailer, even with bad knees -- if the trailer is on a smooth paved surface, use a low-rise auto repair crawler dolly so you can lay on your back and scoot around underneath. It's slow, but it works.

The other trick is make sure your spouse is around to help you lay down and then later get back up very carefully.

Plugging all of the holes (like where the sewer pipes come through the bottom) is the surest way to keep the mice out. A tedious job, but it only has to be done once.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #20

^^^^^ spot on ^^^^^^