Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #1

Default LEDs interfering with radio/tv?

This is a new issue to us since we never watch tv in our camper. Do your LED lights cause your tv and/or radio to act strange? There is a lot of talk about this on Google but I never saw it on any of the RV forums until today.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #2

We don't have LEDs in our trailer, but we do in our sailboat and have seen interference with TV reception from time to time but not consistently. In the trailer we have found that the vent fan in the bedroom affects some TV channels.

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
SWFL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #3

My 2015 210uds has no issues with interference, I replaced all interior lights with LED lights. Radio appears to work fine but have never been able to get one TV channel to work since we have owned it. Silverado
Old 03-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Radio appears to work fine but have never been able to get one TV channel to work since we have owned it. Silverado
Not to hijack the thread, but we had the same issue. I can never get anything OTA using the OEM roof mount antenna so I fixed it by making my own extendable 25' tall external antenna using a regular household RCA antenna and an extendable flagpole with a hitch mount. We now get more channels in the FunFinder than we do in the house (where we have the same antenna mounted in the attic). The flagpole stores under the rear bumper in a custom made tube and mounts in a receiver on the rear bumper. The antenna raises about 25' above ground. I have an ap on my phone that tells me which direction to point the antenna for best reception wherever we are. I drilled and tapped the mount for a thumb set screw so once the antenna gets pointed it stays. I run a section of coax from the antenna to the cable inlet on the port side and switch the antenna amp to "cable" - Works like a dream. I've got a few pics if you're interested in seeing the whole thing in action.

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
SWFL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL FlyFisher View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but we had the same issue. I can never get anything OTA using the OEM roof mount antenna so I fixed it by making my own extendable 25' tall external antenna using a regular household RCA antenna and an extendable flagpole with a hitch mount. We now get more channels in the FunFinder than we do in the house (where we have the same antenna mounted in the attic). The flagpole stores under the rear bumper in a custom made tube and mounts in a receiver on the rear bumper. The antenna raises about 25' above ground. I have an ap on my phone that tells me which direction to point the antenna for best reception wherever we are. I drilled and tapped the mount for a thumb set screw so once the antenna gets pointed it stays. I run a section of coax from the antenna to the cable inlet on the port side and switch the antenna amp to "cable" - Works like a dream. I've got a few pics if you're interested in seeing the whole thing in action.
Yes that would be nice. Thanks in advance. I just assumed there was no "FREE" TV anymore. I am in Canada if that makes any difference. I could not pick any up when I was in Idaho last summer either.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:40 AM   #6

Here is one of the sites that talks about the issue.

Led lights interfere with TV reception - General RV Information - Escapees Discussion Forum
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Old 03-29-2018, 05:50 AM   #7

I’m wondering if the problem was only with older versions of LED bulbs since I don’t find any later threads with issues with them. Or possibly just some of those manufactured.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
This is a new issue to us since we never watch tv in our camper. Do your LED lights cause your tv and/or radio to act strange? There is a lot of talk about this on Google but I never saw it on any of the RV forums until today.
Is the antenna booster turned ON? I can't get any TV channels without it.

jimplumley is offline   Reply With Quote