Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #1

Default Mattress

We're looking to get a new mattress for our 214WSD and looking for some advice. I've done some searching and know that there are numerous online sites, but how to choose? Mattress likes/dislikes are so subjective.

When we've bought home mattresses we always hit a few stores and tried them out, testing for feel and firmness, etc.. If we had a normal size bed in the trailer I know I could do the same, but we have a 60" X ~74" short queen and no stores around here seem to stock something in that size.

Suggestions/recommendations?

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
SWFL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #2

I got one of these for my camper. https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Deluxe-...74+rv+mattress I have a full queen though.

team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:18 PM   #3

Guess it depends on the type of mattress you prefer. Some of the "home" coil spring mattresses are better when placed on a "box spring." That's usually not an option in an RV. But it may still work? Some like the memory foam mattresses. While we have a TempurPedic at home, we found a great short queen on Amazon. Comes rolled up, fits in the camper, unpack, unroll, air out and we've been wondering why we didn't upgrade from day one.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #4

Factory camper mattress are a very, very poor excuse for a mattress IMO.

The XT276 front bed uses a short queen. None of the local stores carried a short queen and wasn't interested in ordering something I hadn't laid on*

Check mattresses out at local stores and bought a regular queen .. only a few inches longer than a short queen. It hangs over the foot end of the bed a bit, but no big deal as didn't have to spend a bunch of $$for a shorter mattress.

* Would have liked a sleep number mattress like at home but the cost was more than willing to invest for the amount of use it would get.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #5

First thing we replaced when we bought our FunFinder was the poor excuse for a mattress that came with it. I went to a local foam shop and got one of there foam mattress cut down to the length we needed they also altered the cover to fit, can not remember the price but it was reasonable. We chose a firm non memory foam but that was our preference they had lots of options to choose from. We've sleeted over 300 nights on it and it still is comfortable as the day we got it I find it as good as our home bed that we paid many times more for. This is our experience good luck with your search.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #6

Default Mattressinsider.com

We replaced the mattress in our 2018 21RB Funfinder after the first season. I tried pads and memory foam but nothing did the trick. This company specializes in RV and other custom mattresses. There's lots of info on their site, and they are extremely helpful over the phone. Money back guarantee, and you don't have to send the mattress back - you donate it. We got the 5.5" Elation with some gel foam and several other layers, and we love it. I recommend Mattressinsider.com.
BarbC29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:06 PM   #7

We replaced our mattress with a gel memory foam from Sams. It was great at first but as time went by, it was like a feather bed (if you remember those) and we rolled to the middle like two bowling balls.

My dd has a Zinus mattress similar to the one team dougherty linked, and it was the most comfortable mattress I've slept on in a long time.

One thing about foam mattresses though - they are heavier than inner spring and our bed lift wouldn't stay up by itself with it on there.

A lot of people have reported mold issues with memory foam mattresses in their RV, and I worried about that, but we never had an issue.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #8

I replaced the OEM crap mattress with a memory foam mattress. Bought it from Amazon for $160. Given the amount of use we give it (about a month per year), there was no point spending big bucks. I have to say, the one we got is great and is very comfortable. Word to the wise, if you do this, open the mattress where the bed will go in the camper. Don't do what I did, open the mattress in the garage and man handle it into the camper. Its a heavy beast.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:48 AM   #9

We replaced ours with a foam mattress from Costco. (And we opened it up inside!). Ours is about a year old, about 2 months of use and we sleep really well on it. It is heavy and the pneumatic arms won’t hold open the lid to the storage compartment!
Gerald Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #10

I've heard foam mattresses are very hot to sleep on as they retain body heat.

Nephew bought a new Tempur-pedic when returned from service in Iraq. He got rid of it in about 2 months 'cause it was to hot to sleep on.

That's all I know.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I've heard foam mattresses are very hot to sleep on as they retain body heat.

Nephew bought a new Tempur-pedic when returned from service in Iraq. He got rid of it in about 2 months 'cause it was to hot to sleep on.

That's all I know.
Used to be. Recent technology has improved to fix that issue. Now they advertise them as gel-infused or some such thing that allows them to breathe. We have a foam mattress topper in the FF that isn't hot at all. Of course there could still be cheaper ones available that still have that problem.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:51 AM   #12

Ok, maybe they changed the foam in them over the past couple of years.

Never used a foam mattress. Tried the 2 or 3" foam mattress topper on the factory excuse for a mattress and didn't make any difference so trashed it and put in a high quality 'home' mattress that works OK.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:08 PM   #13

Here is the memory foam mattress we bought from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For camping this is a excellent mattress and the price was right.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Here is the memory foam mattress we bought from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For camping this is a excellent mattress and the price was right.
Is the cover removable? If I go with a standard size I'm going to have to cut the mattress to length. If the cover comes off I should be able to shorten the mattress and then tuck the excess cover fabric underneath... (and if that works then maybe I'll get one for my boat - That one has to be cut on pretty much all sides...)

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
SWFL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #15

Yes it has a cover that according to the description can be washed. I have not removed the cover so I don't know how hard it is to remove. As for cutting the mattress, I cannot comment since my camper takes a standard queen size mattress.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #16

I know this is four months later, but we got this mattress fo our 2011 214WSD. http://www.mattressinsider.com/luxur...iew#turntodone. We find it very comfortable, not quite as good as our Tempur Pedic, but a lot nicer than the poor excuse of a mattress that comes in the trailer.
tbloesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:06 AM   #17

Default Mattress With IKEA springs

Has anyone ever added an ikea slatted springs under their mattress? Or rebuilt the bed to fit a standard queen mattress?
Old 08-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarejul View Post
Has anyone ever added an ikea slatted springs under their mattress? Or rebuilt the bed to fit a standard queen mattress?
I have a 210UDS - We've just stayed with the regular short queen bed/mattress. I think adding any length to it might interfere with the slide or make it a fun job of getting in through the front door between the end of the mattress and the kitchen counter.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:52 AM   #19

A Sleep Number bed/mattress is the greatest thing I've ever slept on and I've had two back surgeries so well aware of sleep comfort.
I have a king size Sleep Number at home and it is totally awesome, best sleeping mattress I've ever slept on.

For the amount of use it would get, unable to justify the expense of putting one in the camper.

https://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/c/rv-beds-mattresses