Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #1

Default Might Be Selling, Need Help Pricing

My wife and I are kicking around the idea of selling our 189FBR and getting a small toy hauler. She wants to start taking our 3 dogs on "adventures" - doesn't that sound like fun? Actually, they are getting older and she just wants as much time with them as she can get. I've been looking online, and '06, '07 & '08 189s are advertised from $6500 to $13,000. What do y'all think would be a fair ask for an '06 189FBR? Front end frame rebuilt and skin replaced, front bed area can be anywhere from twin to queen size. Upper bunk removed (but I still have it). New brakes & bearings, no leaks, everything works great. It also has a cargo carrier on the rear. It will come with a 24" led tv, wifi repeater capable of picking up a signal from 5000 ft, Dish Tailgater and receiver and an e2 WDH. My pics are all over this group, so help me out please. If anyone knows of someone with a small toy hauler looking to downsize or trade out, point them my way. Thanks.

Jwh92020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:31 AM   #2

That’s why we got our 26 ft. Fifth wheel. We always take our three old girls along.
We sold our 2008 for here in northern Michigan in early spring on Craig’s List for $8500. I had redone the dinette seats and balances and it had a good new mattress. Also a brand new convection microwave. We sold it quickly to the first couple who called.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #3

Mt - Thanks for the info. I haven't redone the dinette cushions yet (I was talking to an upholstery guy about them last night. We had him make new cushions for our couch in the living room), and I'm not sure about doing the valances or not. I'd love to have a 5er, but I need the back of my truck with a shell on it to carry my tools (until the CFO says I don't have to anymore). I'm thinking an asking price of 7k+/- seems fair. My trailer is in excellent shape.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwh92020 View Post
Mt - Thanks for the info. I haven't redone the dinette cushions yet (I was talking to an upholstery guy about them last night. We had him make new cushions for our couch in the living room), and I'm not sure about doing the valances or not. I'd love to have a 5er, but I need the back of my truck with a shell on it to carry my tools (until the CFO says I don't have to anymore). I'm thinking an asking price of 7k+/- seems fair. My trailer is in excellent shape.
Sounds like a fair price. I guess prices can vary in different parts of the country. We have a shorter camping season up here. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:24 PM   #5

We sold ours last month and got our price from looking at NADA and comparable TT on craigslist. I actually made a spreadsheet and put the year, price, features, when it was listed and when it disappeared from CL. That kind of told us what price to hit. (Yes, I'm anal.) But it worked. We sold at a price that made both us and buyer happy, and sold quickly.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:42 PM   #6

Marti - I used NADA as a guideline, but I'm including quite a few extras that NADA doesn't account for. It amazes me to see '06, '07 & '08 listed anywhere near 10k. granted, that doesn't mean they'll sell for that, but it's still a steep ask (in my humble opinion)
Old 10-20-2017, 06:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
We sold ours last month and got our price from looking at NADA and comparable TT on craigslist. I actually made a spreadsheet and put the year, price, features, when it was listed and when it disappeared from CL. That kind of told us what price to hit. (Yes, I'm anal.) But it worked. We sold at a price that made both us and buyer happy, and sold quickly.
Care to say what you got? And the year and model and extras?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #8

That's why I did the spreadsheet Jwh. I found that most people were listing at 2-3K over NADA. But I watched them (there weren't that many small TTs on CL at the time so it was easy to see if they reposted or deleted) and the ones that sold quickly were between the low and average price on CL. The ones that sold within a week were right at the average NADA, and the ones listed way above were on there at least a month. After a month of watching, we had our new trailer and were ready to sell ours so I quit watching.

Michigan, we listed at the average NADA and sold to the first one who looked at it. We had done some modifications. We took down the overhead bunk. Ours wasn't the kind that folded against the wall, ours was the head-gouging cabinet. We kept it though so it was there. I had just started taking out the panels covering the sides and middle of the cabinet over the dinette and hadn't built doors for them, just finished them out inside. We had the add-a-room, had just put in an Oxygenics shower head, and sold it with the Equilizer hitch, wheel chocks, and some other things. It wasn't in perfect condition, but no problems that we were aware of. But just like any used trailer, I'm sure they found things to fix, just like we have with out new-to-us trailer.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #9

Marti - Thanks for the explanation. I went through NADA and itemized everything on my trailer against their list. Based on that, mine high books at $6700. That is without the Satellite Dish & Receiver and the equalizer hitch. I thought of listing at $7300 and see where it goes.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #10

Thats a good idea. You can always go down but you cant go up.

btw, I just noticed that NADA is pricing by zip code now. That's new since we priced ours.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #11

I saw your ad posted in BigD. Looks good.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:47 PM   #12

Marti - thank you. Find me a buyer, I'll buy dinner.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:34 PM   #13

I wish I could. I don't get out much and probably talk to 3 people a week. But who knows, maybe one of those 3 people...
Old 10-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #14

Marti - It only takes one. So you think the ad looks ok?
Old 10-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #15

Yeah, I think it is good, especially your explanation of what has been done to the trailer. I don't know about everyone looking for used trailers, but I always wondered why people were selling a trailer if it was good and what had been done to maintain it. And you've got all that.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #16

Thank you for that. I tried to put as much relevant info in the ad as possible without writing a novel. I'm taking it to MO tomorrow for a job. Actually, I'll be up there for 3 weeks, coming home on weekends. This week is a KOA in Oak Grove, MO - about 7 minutes from job site. Next week is in Independence, MO - about 15 minutes from job site. I'm going to check with the RV park there to see if I can leave it there (Sears pays for my lodging during the job, so I would pay for 2 days. But that is cheaper and easier than dragging it home Friday and back up Sunday). The following week is Junction City, KS. They have a nice looking RV park out there from what the website shows. Geared toward the military. The even offer hardwired internet. may have to buy another modem for home and take this one with me.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #17

We stayed at Oak Grove...very nice park. Our ff was the smallest one there. We had one of those driveable ones Park next to us and when they opened the back end, out came an electric car! They were from Europe, shipped it to Canada and were touring the US! Quite a shock to see it "spit out" a car! LOL ��
Old 10-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #18

Kn - I stayed at Oak Grove last May in a cafgo trailer conversion - 7 x 14. Looks of strange looks and a few wanted to check ot out. I went out to Junction City lasyt month and saw a FF headed towzrd KC. Wondered if it was you. I had my FF behind me as well.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #19

Nope. Our girl is snuggled under her new winter coat and won't come back out til spring...fall and winter schedules won't cooperate for any adventures.��
Old 10-28-2017, 11:08 PM   #20

Brrr Jwh. Stay warm in MO.