Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #1

Default Need To Check Air Conditioning Before A Trip

Hello everyone!
I am a newbie and will be taking my 2005 Funfinder M139 out for the first time next weekend. My question is can I plug my 30 amp into my home electrical to see if need to service the air condioning unit before I leave. A guy from the trailer source said I could plug it in a dryer plug which is 30 amp. Is this true? Thanks in advance!

Kim

Jazzedkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #2

Actually, you can even plug it into an ordinary 20 amp circuit and run the a/c, with a few precautions. First, use a heavy duty extension cord. Second, the adapter that connects the trailer's power cord to the extension cord has to be heavy duty -- otherwise, it is the weakest link and will act sort of like a bottleneck.

Third, once you plug in your trailer and get ready to run the a/c, test your voltage. Use your multimeter (very inexpensive item) and stick the prongs into a power socket in the trailer. (Watch a youtube video if you don't know how to do that -- it is not difficult at all.)

If your voltage is at 110 or more, you are good to go. Fire up the a/c and test the voltage again. As long as it is 110 or better, no problem. If less than 110, turn off the a/c.

And if you plug it into a 30 amp circuit, again just make sure that whatever adapter you use is up to the task.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 08-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
Site Team

Whatever you do DO NOT PLUG INTO THE DRYER PLUG! That is 240V and will damage your trailers electrical system.

You can use an adapter to plug into a standard outlet, but they are usually 15 amp which probably won't be enough to run the AC. You can tell by looking at your breaker panel and the circuit breakers should be marked with the amperage.

If you do have a 20 amp outlet make sure that everything else on that circuit is turned off and you can probably run the AC. If what you have is only 15 amps then it's possible it might run but you also risk damaging you AC unit. Personally I would not try to run it on a 15 amp circuit.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #4

Ok then I guess I just hope it will work. I am goomgnto a place that is 90 plus degrees while I work and have dogs. Just wanted to make sure it workes before going so would know if it needed servicing. I have had it a few months and haven't been able to see if it works. Thanks
Old 08-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
Site Team

Do you have a friend with a 3000W (or larger) generator that will run it. And typically there isn't a lot you can do to service an RV AC unit. They either work or they don't. Did it work when you bought the trailer?

I would be concerned about leaving my dogs in the trailer when it's 90 degrees outside without AC too. I know that there are systems available that will monitor the temperature inside your trailer and send an alert to your phone if it gets too hot. No idea how much they cost though.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #6

I met the person who is selling it in Ft. Collins. He came from Casper I drove from the Springs. That's the one thing we didn't check furnace worked great the unit looks great I'm just hoping that everything will work out fine and I'll bring a fan to to help out with that thanks for all your help wish I knew somebody who had a generator!
Old 08-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedkim View Post
I met the person who is selling it in Ft. Collins. He came from Casper I drove from the Springs. That's the one thing we didn't check furnace worked great the unit looks great I'm just hoping that everything will work out fine and I'll bring a fan to to help out with that thanks for all your help wish I knew somebody who had a generator!
After I purchased my unit new and got it home from a dealer who was/is about 300 miles away ~ to get familiar with the unit and how everything functions, I went for a weekend to a local park w/campground. Did the hookups, ran all the systems, etc. to be sure everything worked and so I KNEW how to operate things. It was well worth the few $$ campsite fee.

Just a thought.

For just a generator, maybe rent one from a tool/equipment rental place for a few hours so you can check out the A/C????
Old 08-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #8

Good idea. I accepted a travelling job and it happened so quickly that I am leaving next Sunday a d am running out of time. Just found out I got the job 3 days ago.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #9

Congratulations on finding/getting a new job.

Best on checking out your camper and the A/C unit.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:05 PM   #10

Please do not attempt run the A/C on a household extension cord. It takes all of 20 amps to run the compressor and more during it's startup. When the amp draw exceeds the available current, voltage will drop and a brown out results. May damage the A/C circuit board. I have a thought if there is an RV park nearby, stop and offer $5 to let you plug in to a post for 15 minutes. Stay hitched up, just plug in and try the A/C. Good luck.

code2e is offline   Reply With Quote