Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

Default New Fun Finder - Stereo Problems

We are picking up our new Fun Finder this weekend. Last weekend we did the walk-through and the stereo seemed a bit tricky (not loading dvds properly, would not connect to my phone's via usb). The dealer says all problems are fixed, but I am curious . . . Has anyone had any problems with the sound system? - should I expect to replace it in a year or so? If so, what is the best one?

Sarah Hylander
2017 Fun Finder 242BDS
2010 F250, 6.4L Diesel

Colete00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #2

Bought mine new in 2012. Turned on the radio and checked the outside speakers only once to see if they worked.

Only play the TV which we upgraded to a 39" and maybe the DVD player about 7 hours max total. Not a tech person so no phone via usb hub.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #3

Congratulations on your new camper!! I can't help you with the stereo info. Ours is an older model. It works sort of...took a while for the DVD drawer to open, but it did. Yours is probably a Jensen. Ours is a Q something. You paid for a perfectly working stereo, so make sure they give it to you.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
Site Team

What brand/model stereo do you have? My guess is if its not loading DVDs or won't connect the phone it's a problem with the unit itself rather than an improper install. So hopefully your dealer swapped it out with a new one.

Will you have to replace it in a year? Maybe. Who knows. From everything I've found all of the packaged units all have their issues. As for what's the best one, it seems like there's only a couple of manufacturers out there and even the pricey $700 ones have problems. I wonder if these are like VCR's in the '80s that were all made by one company and just branded differently.
The unit in mine is a Jensen and it finally quit playing DVDs or CDs a few weeks ago. It lasted 7 years so I guess I can't complain too much.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #5

Some companies claim to make their units specifically for RV use. Who knows if this is true? RVs do bounce around a lot though we aren't in the trailer to see and hear it. We just see the aftermath. Lol!
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #6
Site Team

I researched the brands made for RV's and found about 6 of them. The high end was Concertone at around $700. Then there is Jensen (aka ASA), iRV, Furrion, Magnadyne & Elite which were all priced similarly with similar features. And all had a lot of complaints on the various RV forums. Seems like none of the better automotive stereo system companies like Bose, Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood offer anything specifically designed for RV's.
I'm leaning towards replacing mine with an iRV system from Crutchfield, mainly because I've purchased from them before and they have very good customer service.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:16 PM   #7

There is one other issue no one has mentioned: radio frequency interference from the converter. I have brought a perfectly good radio from the house into the trailer, only to hear a loud whine and lots of static. So before you invest in an upgrade, make sure that your converter is not putting out a lot of RFI. They say there are filters for that, and they also say that a better converter will not generate interference. I am not willing to spend the money to find out if they are right! So we do without decent radio reception.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #8

My trailer has the Jensen that you see in so many trailers. One odd thing it did early on was that it would not work in the mode I was choosing, it kept saying it "was looking for USB". I was like.....why the heck are you looking for USB ? ! I happened to have a USB flash drive for the computer with me. I plugged it in.... I though ok....you're looking for USB, I'll give you USB ! That cleared it. I unplugged the flash drive, and the unit went back to working normally.
I never use it anymore anyway, with the exception of once in a great while I turn it on to the NWS weather station.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #9

One of my outside speakers is not working. It's built into the awning and don't have room at home to open. I'll check it when we go out next month
Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake controller
Beardowndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #10

Congratulations Colete00 on your new FF!!! Hopefully it'll be a great part of many fun adventures!
I have a Furrion unit in my 2015 and the first problem was the "cheezy" remote wouldn't work. I didn't try the remote until my first time camping with it, but luckily I was traveling past the dealer on the way to the next campground. The service guys just gave me the remote out of another trailer and it worked fine. The other issue I have is that I couldn't seem to get it to play from a USB; however, as the saying goes "when all else fails, read the instructions", which I did this winter and it appears that I need to have the TV on in order to get through the menu correctly. Once I take the storage cover off, I plan to give it another try (Hopefully that's really soon!).
"I'd rather go camping"
BigMikeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #11

I got my tv and bracket mounted up this last weekend. I can't get any audio/video from the DVD player through RCA inputs. Took another TV out there and same thing. Cable input and HDMI with my amazon stick work great, just no RCA for DVD. Headed out in a couple hours, might try and take it apart while we camp, hoping it's only loose cables
Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake controller
Beardowndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:13 PM   #12

As usual, nothing in the RV world is as it should be. I just finally got my TV and DVD to work. I bought our 2014 233RBS second hand and barely used. The RCA cables were not hooked up correctly. The Yellow Video Cable from the Elite Player needs to be in the Green Video IN. The white and red are as they should be. Thats right from my Proscan TV manual (which I was fortunate to have). Try that. It worked for me. Outside fully functional, non-intermittent speakers are my next project, not really that I use them but.....

Pete1971 is offline   Reply With Quote