Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Fun Finder Community
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2016, 10:57 PM   #1

Default Newbie 189FBR

Hey! Today we decided to upgrade our old 1985 Kit Companion to a 2008 Funfinder 189FBR. Its pretty much like new....very low miles. It looks unused actually. We'll see how we like it.

Since 2008 we have put 30,000 miles on the Kit and it is really getting tired.

Right off the gitgo, I notice that the hot water heater has to be lite from outside with a lighter. That not a big deal but we recently installed a new WH in our Kit that has an electric ignition and it really spoils you fast.

Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:25 AM   #2

Congratulations! We have the same model and year, but our water heater is an electronic ignition. No need to go outside. All we do is flip the switch. Did you receive the manuals with your camper? If it has electronic ignition it will have an orange plug wire on the right side of the heater. Ours is a Suburban.
Post some pictures when you get a chance.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum. As you can see I acquired a 2010 189FBR a couple of months ago and have been learning a lot of things. Some good and some bad. Here are some things you will want to check soon.

1) Grease the wheels, hopefully you have EZ Lub hubs which make life a lot easer.

2) Clean and check the roof for damage. Use lap sealer for exposed screws and cracks, etc. Also, while you up there, you should probably UV protect the roof.

3) Check to make sure the water system can be pressurized with no leaks. If you hear the pump come on when no faucets are open, likely means you have a leak in the system.

4) Do not turn on the hot water tank unless the tank is full of water. This is doubly important if you are heating with electric!

5) Make sure the break away switch works. Mine is only 6 years old and it didn't, so I replaced it. Also, for some dumb reason, the FF models require the power switch to be ON for the break away-switch to be active. I rewired mine directly off the battery, thus bypassing the switch.

6) Check the seals in the door, windows and access doors. The frame of both access doors were out by about 1/4 inch, so I remove both, scraped off the original caulk and resent them using butyl caulk.

7) If you are like me, I have been doing some mods just because.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Congratulations! We have the same model and year, but our water heater is an electronic ignition. No need to go outside. All we do is flip the switch. Did you receive the manuals with your camper? If it has electronic ignition it will have an orange plug wire on the right side of the heater. Ours is a Suburban.
I'll take a closer look. If mine is not electric start there is a big temptation here to swap the heaters before I sell the old trailer. We'll see.

Speaking of Michigan, my daughter lives in MI and we made two trips around the lake towing our old rig on two different journeys from WA. We took backroads the whole way.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #5

Those were some long trips. I'm thinking you meant Lake Michigan and not Superior. We live 20 miles east of Lake Michigan. I hope you do have electronic ignition. Did you get the manuals with your trailer. If not, we have them and can help out with questions. Where does your daughter live in Michigan?
Old 06-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #6

Chirpz-

Do you have an electric heating element also?
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Hey Hey!! I took a closer look today and sure enough it DOES have the electronic ignition.... I haven't tried it yet though.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #8

That's great! Glad you don't have to do any swaps with the other trailer. Sometimes if we have had the propane tanks off Paul will turn on the stove burner to bleed air from the system. But normally we don't have to do that.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Those were some long trips. I'm thinking you meant Lake Michigan and not Superior. We live 20 miles east of Lake Michigan. I hope you do have electronic ignition. Did you get the manuals with your trailer. If not, we have them and can help out with questions. Where does your daughter live in Michigan?
Yes, Lake MI. Daughter now lives in Travers City. We also visited Fife Lake.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Chirpz-

Not sure of that yet. we just got it yesterday and I am recovering from back surgery so I moving slow. My old trailer has both...very nice...so I,m hoping for the same.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #11

Default Old style..

Already we are discovering that they just don't build them like they used too. Our old trailer was a full foot shorter but it has way more room! It has a double sink with counter space on both sides....lots of it. Four burner range with an oven. Spacious cabinets with gobs of clever cubbie holes. On the down side, a smaller but barely adequate fridge. Tiny bath with sit down shower. I don't know how we will fit into this bigger rig that is short on space. But I guess it's a keeper. I like the tandem axel and slightly lighter weight.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:06 AM   #12

We live an hour south of Traverse City. It's a great town. They just got best town from Midwest Living Magazine.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:13 AM   #13

I know what you mean. The classic old trailers had tons of storage and counter space. But often a tiny bath and often no shower. We have found that even for a two night trip we do utilize the 6 cf fridge space, though not the freezer. We may have a couple of things for the freezer now but for a longer trip we will want it. We have never actually showered in the bathroom. So tiny. I almost think a wet bath would be better in terms of room, but I like having the vanity and less clean up. I also wish there was more storage under the bed. The wheel wells impinge on the dinette seat storage but we've done some mods so it all works.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Chirpz-

Check it out today and it does not seem to have an electric power options.