Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #1

Default Newbie with a couple questions....

I'm looking at getting a XT276 to haul the Old Lady's 06 Street Glide and my 09 Ultra Classic (full dress Harleys) and I know I'm going to be pushing the weight limit but not going over so long as I'm not full of water in the XT's tanks.
I'd really like the XT300 but my Chevy Avalanche won't handle it!
So as owners of the Fun Finders and knowing a lot more then I do, am I nuttier then then a fruitcake for thinking about the Fun Finder for what I want to haul the Harleys around to play?
My other problem is that no one, or dealer close to me has one to look at, so I'm wondering what kinds of problems the CruiserRV's have, how well they are constructed, how the owners like them, and if they would buy another one!
Thanks, Jim

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #2

Default Fun Finder is a good brand, but . . .

We are on our second Fun Finder -- very happy with the quality. But I don't know if Fun Finder is well known for its toyhaulers. There are other brands that make a wider range of haulers. Have you gone onto the toyhauler forum on rv.net? Lots of info over there!!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #3

Fun Finders are of decent quality. They're built lightweight so that will help.

Just looking at your basic math:

XT276 GVWR 7,870 - Dry weight 5,110 = 2760 open for cargo
Street Glide 790lb + Ultra 911 lbs = 1701
2760 - 1701 = 1059 extra lbs you have left on trailer weight. So technically you're not overloading the trailer. Unless you have it full of a bunch of other stuff. Even if you had it full of water, 60 gal would be about 495 lbs.

What's the avalanche rated to tow?
metaltff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #4

Not crazy, but, one thing you need to be aware of...and it doesn't only apply to FF toyhaulers, but, to all of them. You will be adding almost a full ton of weight behind the trailer axles. That by itself will play havoc with handling. You will want to make sure that the rest of your weight (clothing, food, supplies, equipment, etc) is stored ahead of your trailer's axles or handling can go pretty bad, fairly quickly. With bumper pull trailers, it is important, almost imperative, that you keep tongue weight in the 12-16% of total trailer weight (GVW) in order for the trailer to track and handle properly. Many folks make the mistake of looking at all that room in the back and "load'er up!" to make use of all that room and then they wonder why they can hardly keep the rig on the road. As a matter of fact, if your fresh water tank is in the front of the trailer, you may have to take a full load of water (a trick a lot of toy hauler owners have learned) in order to keep the togue weight up. A balanced or tail heavy bumper pull trailer is the worst thing you can do...

I, personally, love the FF RVs, but, if you go with a different brand, keep the above in mind. The weight loading issue is a problem inherent with the toy hauler design, not with a particular brand.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #5

Thank you profdant139, metaltff and webslave for your responses.

Last weekend we spent a day looking at different toy haulers and after the 5th or 6th dealer telling me the Avalanche was the wrong vehicle to be trying to do what I was wanting to do (the Old Lady No way to a different rig), the Old Lady changed her mind and said I was right and we should look at a different rig to haul it with So we found a dealer that told us that he didn't think that FF had the Generators installed, because they had a tongue mount and Washington state law doesn't allow that.... so is that really true?????
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to shadow

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/cvd/170_129.pdf

I don't think that is correct here are the wa laws
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #7

The fuel station and generator are an option for the 276 and can be ordered with them installed from the factory or you can order just the fuel station. From what I can tell you have to have the fuel station if you want the generator as the generator will be set up to run off the gasoline from the fuel station...

Most toy haulers don't "come with" generators; they are options that can be added by the factory or the new purchaser can install one themselves in the proper area (you'd have to run your own wiring).

I can tell you that many will order their hauler with just the fuel station and then buy a portable Honda or Yamaha generator (the quietest) and carry them sepearately so that they can be powered up outside. The Onan generators that a lot of manufacturers use tend to be a bit louder and not quite so stingy with fuel usage.

As for your Avalanche being up to the task... I tend to agree. I have a friend that is towing with one and it is very borderline for his regular 244 FunFinder and you are talking about a trailer just as big and then throwing another 3/4 ton of motorcycles into the back. For my money, I wouldn't tow any of those toy haulers with that much weight with anything less than a 2500 or 250 series deisel truck. But, you may be able to get the numbers to allow the use of the Avalanche; I haven't sat down and figured out tongue weights and GVW for that vehicle and your toy hauler.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #8

Default problems

Looking for some help. I own a 2012 Fun Funder Xtra 276 which has had nothing but problems. I'm looking for others that would be willing to tell me their story. I'm taking Cruiser RV, Lippert and Rocky MT Rv to Small Claims Court March 9th, 2015 due to all the problems I'm having with my trailer. I have only used it once but have had nothing but problems ranging from cabinets pulling away from the ceiling, windows not opening, doors not closing, pipes leaking, bathroom wall moving, trim falling off, bathroom cabinet pulling away from wall, electrical problems, sewer pipes leaking, frame problems, gaps in the roof with it moving, most of the wall and door paper pealing off and binding at the window corners, the rear bed being wired incorrectly to name just a few. If anyone has had these types of problems please contact me at tooltimeval@embarqmail.com.

TTlover is offline   Reply With Quote