Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 04:14 AM   #1

Default Newbie with ?'s

Hi campers! I'm 57, a widow & 4 weeks ago I went and purchased a "big girl truck" my F150 with a 5.7 motor. Yesterday I went an purchased a 2008 Fun Finder 18' camper. Sold the motorcycle, sold my Lincoln and here we are! A new journey begins! So exciting!
I have questions!! I need some help! First YES I read the owners manual!
1) How do I know the model? It's not on the title.
2) Deep cell battery. What do I purchase? & do I need 2? Do I purchase a battery charger?

Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #2

Welcome, Freddie! It's almost certainly a 189 model -- there are some with the kitchen in front, and some with the kitchen on the side (I think). Click on some Youtube tours -- you will recognize your floorplan pretty quickly.

When it comes to batteries, there are a lot of options. The answer depends on whether you plan to stay in RV parks or plan to dry camp or boondock, and for how long. If you will be in RV parks, a group 24 or 27 might be enough. They are easier to lift than the bigger batteries. And yes, get a battery tender. I like the Battery Minder Plus -- it pulses to avoid "sulphation" of the plates inside the battery.

Personally, I have two group 31 batteries. We do a lot of back-country boondocking. The batteries are heavy but they hold a lot of juice.

Is this your first RV? Where are you located, and where are you going to travel?

Keep asking questions! Us old-timers love to answer them -- it is fun to help newbies avoid the mistakes we made long ago.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #3
Site Team

Hi and welcome to the forum!
As to your questions, for #1 I think you're asking what model of trailer, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not positive on the 2008 model year but for 2009 Cruiser made three 18' foot models. The X189FBR with no slide, the X189FBS with a slide with a jackknife sofa and the X189FDS with a full dinette slide. So that should tell you which model you have.
For question #2 the best answer is it depends. How do you intend to camp? If you plan on going to RV parks that have hookups available you really only need a single battery. If you plan on dry camping without hookups then you probably want at least 2 batteries as well as a generator or solar to augment. And you don't have to have a charger, although they are handy to have, as the converter is a charger when your plugged into shore power.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
APD

Welcome!
#1 If the outside ID tag is missing or unreadable check the backside/inside of the kitchen cabinet doors. Ours has a ID tag located there as well. The VIN should allow you to track down the model. It's also stamped into the frame, located up front. You'll need that for insurance anyway.
#2 Depends on what type of camping and how much room in the battery tray.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #5

Opinions on batteries are about as wide as asking everyone what their favorite movie is. That being said, I've always been partial to Interstate brand, two 6V connected in series will give you 12 volts, but the 6V batteries have a lot of amp hours, usually somewhere in the 200's. (meaning more power between charges.)

I currently have one regular Interstate 12v battery with 88 amp hours and want to get another. So having two 12v batteries means you'd have to connect them in parallel, keeping the voltage 12v, but doubling your amp hours.

I'd rather get two 6v, but the new 12v came with my trailer and swapping it now would be silly and expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
RV-battery-in-series-and-parallel.jpg  
Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:24 AM   #6

Hi and welcome to the forum. I notice other posters using a lot of terms you may not be familiar with. So here goes my translation.

Boondocks or dry camping means you are camping without hooking up to any utilities (AC electric, water or sewer).

Shore power means you have connected your camper to 110 volt AC through the external power cord.

Converter is the electronic unit inside the camper (normally black with a cooling fan and fuses). This unit controls both AC shore power and DC battery power in the trailer. It also serves as a battery charger. Be aware that it converts AC voltage to DC voltage but not the other way around.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #7

Thank You so much everyone! Gosh it's really not as complicated as I thought! I live up in the Boundry Waters Canoe Area, Northeastern Minnesota Boardering Canada.

Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote