Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #1

Default Odd Mod??

Just wanted to throw this out there...we're thinking about upgrading our 2012 214WSD to the model F-242BDS which has the exact same front but with double bunks next to the bathroom in the back. http://cruiserrv.com/products-2015/f.../f-242bds-2015.
The purpose would be to take out the bunks to make an office. Has anybody ever done this or know anyone who has done this...? This particular model also has an outdoor kitchen which would be under the "desk" part of the office...just wondering what might be involved in taking out the beds and what is actually under the bottom bunk that might prevent this modification...we want to run the desktop along the space where the outdoor kitchen is stored and have walking space where the interior side of the double bunk is. Taking the top bunk out for head room and replacing with shelving or cabinets for storage...waddayathink?? We think it would be a great selling point if Cruiser RV would offer a model with an office area option instead of bunks for those who don't have kids, but can work and travel too. BTW-Happy New Year to all you happy campers!! Looking forward to a year of fun and adventure!!

casadelydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #2

Default Great idea!

Go for it! The good news is that you can preview the underside of the bunks before you commit to ripping them out -- you should be able to unscrew the panels and peer in there. There might be wiring bundles -- you can often lift them out of the way with cable ties. I cleared out a whole bunch of room under our dinette that way -- we use it for storage.

Good luck, and let us know how it's going! What a fun project!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:25 PM   #3

That is a great idea. I think an office would be more of an asset than bunkbeds or an outside kitchen anyway, especially for a couple. I know some people like to eat outdoors, but cooking inside and then eating outside would still be an option. Personally, our dinette is used more as an office than it is an eating area. I shoot video all day and then do a lot of file organization and downloading as well as editing, blogging and updating email as well as camera charging. Having a dedicated area for this would be a very valuable space.

It still sounds like a lot of work and I would certainly be interested in seeing your progress. Please keep us updated