Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2021, 01:02 PM   #1

Default Off-road and winter

First time poster!

I am looking at a 2007 Fun Finder 139. I live in Alberta Canada, it gets cold, and want to use this trailer in the winter, mostly at ski destinations. Has anyone used this when it’s really cold, say -20C or 0F? Did you keep water in the tank or is that a bad idea? Did it retain heat? Ideally I’d like to continue using the toilet in winter as I would at times camp remote.

I also plan to go on forest service roads, no rock crawling, but potholes, an occasional water bar, and uneven. Has anyone towed offroad? Could I put on bigger tires?

Thanks!

dhurlzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Fun Finders were not designed for use in the type of winter conditions you're describing. Just not insulated for those temps. nor was the water system. So if you were going to use it in those temps the water tanks would have to be empty. That would rule out using the toilet.

Should be fine on the roads you describe as long as you take it slow. You could also flip the axle to gain a bit more clearance.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #3

I have often camped in a 139 when the temperature is in the low 20s (fahrenheit), but that's as cold as we can go. Otherwise, we risk freezing the lines. And even the low 20s is a little risky.

We go off--pavement all the time, but very slowly. We have added 14 inch tires, load range D, and are very careful going over potholes and rocks. We also have an "axle flip," which gives us extra ground clearance.

Tags
off-road, winter camping