Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Fun Finder Community
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #1

Default Optional Bike Rack

We are in the market for a new Funfinder 189fbs. According to the option list, Cruiser RV offers an optional bike rack. I asked the local dealer and he had no idea where it was mounted or if it was even available. He said they could add a rear carrier but would have to add a bumper and receiver. I don't want to go that route. Does anyone have one of these factory optional bike racks and if so where is it mounted and how does it work?

rsgault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #2

Unless they've changed (unlikely) the "optional" bike rack is a receiver hitch that connects to the left and right main frame members. If you look under the trailer, on the rear frame members, maybe 6-8" forward, you should see 4 holes on each side drilled through the frame. The hitch pieces bolt up to those frame members with a 1 1/4" hitch centered in the span. At least that's how it was on my 210WBS unit and a friend's 244.

On my 210WBS, I modified it so that it rode higher (IMHO, it hung too close to the ground) and the 210WBS has a rear bumper, so, I fabricated a stanchion assembly to allow for some bracing using the rear bumper. The hitch will then take any automotive hitch style bike rack that uses a 1 1/4" hitch.

If you don't want to go the FunFinder "option" route, you could just go to any good welder and let him fabricate the same thing...you need a cross frame piece (1 1/2 to 2" box steel) either flange bolted or welded to each main frame member with a 1 1/4" hitch welded to the cross frame at the mid point.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #3

Thanks webslave,

When I buy a trailer I will look into that option. I may just fabricate my own receiver mount that bolts to the frame and allows the use of a rack. It should be pretty easy for me to weld up something that bolts on.
rsgault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
TCP

Default Hitch info

The bike rack "option" is a couple of small u shaped channels welded on the inside of the I-beam frame rails facing inwards on both sides just behind the rear trim plate. If you crawl under the trailer you will find these plates welded on the inside of the I-beam. They have holes with welded on nuts on the inside to bolt the "rack" to. You need to cut slots in the rear metal piece that the stabilizers are bolted to to slide the rack through on each side and bolt it on.

I find the U-shaped braces are very weak looking and wouldn't trust them to carry the rack without bikes on it, to say nothing of adding bikes.

I bought a bolt on RV hitch from curt manufacturing and modified the mounting brackets to fit right on the I-beams with 4 bolts on each side.

http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Tr...urt/13703.html

I still had to cut the slots in the rear member, but it went quite well with my dremel. A few grainy pics of the install:

https://picasaweb.google.com/tompreusser/NewTrailer#
TCP is offline   Reply With Quote