Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2021, 10:51 AM   #1

Default Our first official 'off the grid' camping trip

Now that our favorite area opened up after Covid restrictions, we spent my birthday in and around Moab Utah.

I've used the last few months while under those restrictions to get the Fun Finder ready. I added solar panels last year, but had a single 12v battery that just wasn't cutting it. So I replaced it with two Trojan 6v batteries.

I got 6 five gallon containers so we could fill up the main tank while camping, and it was perfect. The grey tank was at 3/4 full by the time we left, so that'll be something we need to keep an eye on.

I was able to power my wife's CPAP machine, so she slept better. We took both our dogs and invited my sister, her husband and their dog to hang out. We all fit inside that tiny 139FK, lol, and played cards all day. We also got some Jeeping in, we did the Chicken Corners trail, it's a nice day trip.

We camped in BLM land just outside Canyonlands, so it was free and not another soul in sight.

This was our front yard view...

It was windy most of the time, finally raining on Tuesday... so we didn't do much relaxing under the canopy/awning and no camp fires out of safety.

Set up the camp kitchen and had some really good meals.

Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:51 AM   #2

The first night was clear and still, the only day we had a camp fire.

My sister's dog chilling inside while we played cards.

We got to see a lot of native petroglyphs...

Lastly, here's my grumpy dog, Gizmo... my other dog, Chewie was camera shy.

We kept a list of things we forgot, needed, didn't need, etc... we'll get it narrowed down so we're only taking what we really need. Pretty much went 5 days without needing supplies. Solar panels worked well, water was good, had plenty of propane. Also the little heater worked so well, we barely used it. It got hot inside after running for only a few minutes. Good to know.

All in all I was amazed the trailer was able to go all the way out there, a few spots were gnarly.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:01 PM   #3

Didn't know there were any restrictions on camping last year ...anyway none of the places we went. Didn't have any issues getting reservations, etc.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Didn't know there were any restrictions on camping last year ...anyway none of the places we went. Didn't have any issues getting reservations, etc.
Grand County Utah was only open to local residents. They didn't want their resources taxed as badly. No one was checking IDs or anything... but I'm the type to follow the law.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:22 PM   #5

Great trip report -- thanks for posting!! It is amazing what rough terrain the little 139 can handle, if you take the bumps slow enough.

You mentioned the gray tank filling up -- you probably already know this, but you can use a bucket to transfer water from the gray valve to the toilet (and thus into the under-used black tank). It is a tedious task, but the good old bucket brigade means that you can boondock for an extra couple of days without filling the gray water tank.

Plus it's great exercise!

I should add that on some of the really old 139s, the black tank was six gallons (!!!), so the bucket system would not work on those earlier models. My 2003 T-139 had a six gallon black tank -- not adequate!
Old 04-30-2021, 05:24 PM   #6

By the way, where did your sister and her husband sleep?? I don't see a tent in the photos.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:09 PM   #7

They stayed in a hotel In Moab, haha. They drove the hour or so to my camp via GPS coordinates I sent them.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:28 AM   #8

Great to read your report. Thanks

2009 Chrysler Aspen
Jim T is offline   Reply With Quote