Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #61

Overnight we loaded all the junk from the old camper, then on Friday we headed to a State Park campground that we've been to many times to work out the setup and take down workflow...

A bit windy and cold, but that gave us the chance to see how she does in those conditions. Found a few head scratchers... The A/V cable was connected to the TV, but not to the radio/DVD player - had to pull that out and saw loads of extra storage that can be had in the Entertainment Center...

Other than that... just figuring it all out. Oh, and the battery cutout switch is wired out for ON and in for OFF...

WSKinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #62

Wow ! Fascinating to see a WSD and compare it to our WSK.

It appears as though the exterior kitchen creates a slightly different equipment layout. Your A/C unit sits almost in the middle whereas ours is off center towards the rear. In the place where your A/C unit is, we have a sky light with a sliding curtain. Your hook ups (electrical, water etc.) sit further forward which will give you slightly better placement options on a pad or site. Your outdoor speakers are installed in the side of the cabin whereas ours are on the ends of the awning booms so they move out with the awning and point down towards the ground slightly, so the sound is more contained to our area. It looks like you have an exterior light by the door. We have a row of yellow LED lights along the full length of the awning as well as a small orange LED behind the steps lighting our entrance. One of the things we like most about the WSK is the full width bathroom ... nice and roomy. Now let's see some interior pics

Old 04-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #63

VERY nice. How'd she tow?
Old 04-11-2015, 04:10 AM   #64

Our first 4 night trip away in our Funfinder..at Totaranui, Able Tasman National Park - very top of the South Island, New Zealand (freedom Camping/Boon docking) & first time putting up the awning (without instructions)!
[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]
[img]
[/img]

[/URL][/img]
Old 04-11-2015, 04:31 AM   #65

Wow beautiful country, hope to get there one day! Thanks for the great pictures. Were did you get the screen room you have attached?
Rvnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #66

Beautiful pictures .... thanks for sharing with us

Did you catch any fish ? It sure looks like a nice place to "boon-dock" complete with picnic tables. We had a Zodiac for 10 years but sold it just last fall.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #67

What a gorgeous setting!

Such incredible memories you are creating for your children - they'll remember those trips forever.

Good job!!!
Old 04-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #68

thanks, ok Yoly, here is a snap of the boys with some of the catch - Crayfish..the Dad's scuba for them..and yes, good fish for tea every night too (mostly caught by the-just turned-7 yr old!) Rvnewbie..the red Awning came with the caravan..its different to others I've seen with caravans here..this being made of 500D Nylon..time will tell how well it wears..but provided a fantastic big extra room for us all. is a Prestina 360.

[/URL][/img]
Old 04-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #69

Those are absolutely incredible. Crayfish here are very popular in New Orleans cuisine and the largest I've ever seen were about 3 inches long. At first I thought those were lobster but obviously, they don't have the pincers that lobsters do. They look like giant bugs from another world !

I presume you eat the tails like lobster but do you also consume other parts ?

That is a truly unique photo .... I'm blown away by it

Old 04-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #70

They sure don't grow Mud Bugs in Louisiana like those!

I have recently been introduced to a Crawfish Boil and I'm in love with it (I guess it's really important how they're cooked/seasoned).

Anyway, how do you cook them in your neck o' the woods? And do you have the potatoes and corn as part of the meal, too?

This is how it's done at my BFF's house in Lake Charles Louisiana (the pot with the corn on the cob and potatoes is behind the paper towels).

Old 04-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #71

Kiwi5, that is great news that your first trip went well -- if I remember correctly, there was a part on your awning that broke? You must have fixed it quickly!

Will you be able to continue camping during the upcoming winter?
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:49 AM   #72

Thanks Kiwi for the info. Spiny Lobster's my favorite. We lobster in the Keys every year and it's great fun.
Rvnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:13 AM   #73

Hi guys, yup Profdant..we forgot to click Dometic crank out awning to lock position, & snapped the inner slider, on 1 side..just trying to get shipping sorted to get replacement from eBay. that was on last day of this trip tho, so not a real biggie. bigger issue was discovering we needed a brake controller to use with electric brakes - eek!
Michellep- no, we don't cook Crayfish with veggies .. cook in boiling, salted water for 10 min or so, you eat nearly all of the cray (southern hemisphere/NZ/AUS - salt water Rock Lobster) these ones are average size... legs are the sweetest part to eat, on own or dipped in sauce if desired. great with a beer!
Old 04-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #74

Hi all! Sorry, just getting around to answering the post on how our Avalanche towed with the F215WSK.

Towing... hmmm. When I towed from the dealer, with the trailer basically at its lightest, the Avalanche pulled it just fine. Braking was good, too.

But, with the inevitable 1000 extra pounds of junk, towing became a bit sluggish. By the time we got it into the campground (in a very hilly area), the smell of brakes was in the air. Gas mileage dropped to about 10 even from the 11.5 on mostly flat interstate. We used to get 12 to 14 with the aframe,

Not giving up on the Avalanche, yet. We'll test it for a few more trips. I think it will be fine, just that I will need to do maintenance a bit more often. I've already had all of the systems fluids changed and inspected and had a factory transmission cooler put on. When the brakes were last done, I added grooved and drilled rotors. I don't think the pads were particularly good, so I will be changing those out for police spec parts.

The final test will be if it can make it up the hill to our land where we have a full hookup private RV site. The biggest problem there will be if the trailer has the ground clearance necessary for the road to driveway. If it doesn't clear that, then the land goes on the market...
Old 04-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #75

Good luck with the roadway transition and Avalanche Kinda reminds me of the time we went to leave on our first trip with our Fun Finder only to discover our truck wouldn't pull it up our driveway

Neil

Old 04-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #76

Chad, before you sell the land, have you thought about a lift kit for the trailer?
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #77

Well, no... The thing is already pretty high off the ground - not really interested in putting any higher.

Besides, if it doesn't go it will give us one more reason to sell the land
Old 05-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #78

Default Blue Ridge Rally

We're currently at Big Meadow Family Campground in Townsend, TN. just outside the northwest entrance to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We're here attending the T@B and T@DA owner's rally as former owners. We get to see old friends and make a new movie

Here's our site with a nice trout river right behind us. Saw a couple guys snag a few this morning

Old 05-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #79

So, nice pics...makes those of us not out yet a little envious.

A few questions:

1) You have a vented picnic table? Helps keep the food cool?

2) What's that sticker looking thing toward the front?

3) Is that a small solar panel sitting on your propane tanks? (if it is, I never saw a brown one before...)

Keep on having fun!!
Old 05-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #80

Hey Michelle,

One of the "events" of this 5 day rally is a Saturday morning "Flee Market" and I've brought all kinds of goodies to sell here including a standard 14 inch roof vent resting on the picnic table ($20)

The sheet hanging on the awning is just an ID to identify us to fellow members. The plaque on the propane tanks is a wooden plaque with the Travels with Yoly moniker and our names along with Lake Lanier, Georgia. It was made for us by a very nice camping neighbor we met in Florida back in 2013.

We're heading home on Sunday, going to the dentist on Monday and then leaving for Lake Tahoe on Tuesday ...... and so it begins