Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #1

Default plugging into the house

hi all, I've been told that in order for me to plug my 139x 2008 into the house i need an adapter or my house can't take the amps. does anyone know how to do this? I've heard of a dogbone adapter that changes the amps, but i have no idea which one to buy and how to know if I'm getting the right one.
i want to be able to plug ì in to my house while it is in the driveway.
any ideas? ��

sherpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:17 AM   #2

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Road-Powe...apter/16817349

I use this one with an extension cord. You don't want to run the A/C off a household outlet and an extension cord because it draws too many AMPS.
and the extension cord will overheat.

F_FT139_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #3

thanks! this looks perfect.. and I'll remember no ac.
sherpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #4

You might be able to run your a/c if you have a thirty amp circuit, and if you have a really heavy duty extension cord. Also, the adapter that connects the trailer cord to the extension cord has to be heavy duty, too. So it is not impossible, but it is not automatic, either.

Check your circuit breaker box to see if the circuit is rated for 30 amps.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:39 AM   #5

I used the adapter mentioned above and it worked just fine ........ however I got tired of pulling out the heavy 30 amp RV cord, connecting the adapter to use the heavy duty 120 volt cord to plug into the house outlet.

Now I only use this connected to the RV and run the heavy duty 20 amp rated 120V extension cord plugged into the house outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076WXBZW9...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-05-2018, 06:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I used the adapter mentioned above and it worked just fine ........ however I got tired of pulling out the heavy 30 amp RV cord, connecting the adapter to use the heavy duty 120 volt cord to plug into the house outlet.

Now I only use this connected to the RV and run the heavy duty 20 amp rated 120V extension cord plugged into the house outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076WXBZW9...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Hey Eagle, that is a great product you shared there.
For anyone utilizing that, I recommend you keep the extension cord as short as possible, and the lower the gauge wire the better, in this case 10/3, which is the proper match for this adapter. You should be able to run the a/c, but maybe trip a circuit if the fridge is on at the same time. Best of luck everyone.
Max2nage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #7

I had to wire directly to the panel box , house was over loaded when plugging in to house
Kenoragal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #8

Kenoregal, that took some courage -- I bet that you know a lot more than I do about electricity. Did you put in a separate circuit breaker?
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #9

You need and adapter to change from the male 30 amp 120 VAC RV plug to a 15 amp 120 VAC male household plug. The adapter has no effect on the amps that the trailer may try to draw. It has no current limiting capabilities. It is important to not exceed 15 amps and not use an additional extension cord either. If you were to try and use the air conditioner, it might seem to work. Don't do it. The low current will damage the compressor while trying to start. Everything else electrical should be fine.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

I have a friend who does electrical work and he wired to the panel box it’s own line
Old 07-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #11

Now I can enjoy the unit with air conditioning on and tv plugged in
Old 07-15-2018, 04:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenoragal View Post
Now I can enjoy the unit with air conditioning on and tv plugged in
Good going... I upgraded my power box from 100 amp to 200 amp, shorty after buying my house and then wired the garage totally, with 120 vac 15 and 20 amp outlets, and several 220 vac outlets for saws, air compressor, and welder.

So, in reality, if one wants to do it right, as you did, either wire or have an electrician correctly wire a new outlet for your trailer, with a correct 30 or 50 amp trailer outlet. I ran my trailer lead to the garage through an adapter to a 20 amp outlet for years and left the battery charger on all season. I also used lights (LED) and TV as needed; I did not use the Microwave or AC, but checked them out as necessary before trips, turned on the frig the day before a trip to let it get cold and packed it before leaving. You should know the circuit rating and NEVER draw (plug in or turn on) more current than rated by the circuit or extension leads, i.e., never draw more than the lowest rated component.

I have since wired a 30 amp outlet with proper breakers for the the 30 amp trailer lead and am in the process of moving the RV outlet (30 amp) outside to where I park the trailer.

Good luck and be safe!!

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adapter, amps, electrical