Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #1

Default Pulling a trailer down gravel roads?

I like to do some " out of the way" camping and was wondering about damage to the under carriage while pulling down gravel roads. I have an 18 ft X 189FBR. Any thoughts?

CRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #2

Should not be a problem if you go slow and watch the center so you do not high center.

chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #3

We do a lot of that kind of towing, on some really sketchy roads. Slow and careful is the key. We also got an axle flip for more clearance. Some folks add diamond plate on the front of the trailer, to protect against gravel thrown up by the tow vehicle. On a long trip to Alaska, that might be a good idea -- it would not be fun to make that drive at 20 mph!

Also, I added a mud flap on my trailer so that gravel from the trailer tire would not damage the sewer valves, which are just behind the left tire. And I wrapped my sewer valves in reflectix, both for gravel protection and for a little extra insulation in freezing weather.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139
We do a lot of that kind of towing, on some really sketchy roads. Slow and careful is the key. We also got an axle flip for more clearance. Some folks add diamond plate on the front of the trailer, to protect against gravel thrown up by the tow vehicle. On a long trip to Alaska, that might be a good idea -- it would not be fun to make that drive at 20 mph!

Also, I added a mud flap on my trailer so that gravel from the trailer tire would not damage the sewer valves, which are just behind the left tire. And I wrapped my sewer valves in reflectix, both for gravel protection and for a little extra insulation in freezing weather.
Those are all very thoughtful mods Dan .... this is why I read stuff on forums

Old 08-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #5

Great advice. The trailer has pretty good clearance but I was worried about gravel flying up into the underside of the trailer. I will definitely get some mud flaps... hopefully with some appropriate silhouette on them
CRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #6

Default Any Speed?

So slow and easy sounds good - but I think the trailer is well protected underneath and I'm not convinced that the tow vehicle will kick back too much gravel.
Just me-but I've travelled many miles on gravel roads. And washboard/gravel are the worst. But I lock the truck in 4WD and do about 50mph. Road permitting, that is. That speed seems to let the truck and trailer "skip" across the top of the washboard surface.
Now-probably kicked a few rocks up and "pinged" on the trailer but it is what it is.
Opinions/Experience vary, but that's how I head down gravel roads.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #7

Does anyone know where to buy larger sheets of diamond plate for the front of their TT? Any idea on how to / or what kind of adhesive to use to stick it on to the gel coat?
shawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
APD

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawno View Post
Does anyone know where to buy larger sheets of diamond plate for the front of their TT? Any idea on how to / or what kind of adhesive to use to stick it on to the gel coat?
DiamondLife specializes in cargo/horse trailers but they sell by the piece:
Diamond Plate, Stainless Steel and Aluminum

And the site says they ship to Canada....

Alan

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote