Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #1

Default purchasing advice 2007 189

Hi,
We're looking at purchasing a 2007 Fun Finder 189FBR. This would be our first RV. We're hoping for your experiences and advice about this model. Are there any maintenance or care issues we should be aware of? Thanks for any insights!

Tim & Mac

tflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #2

Hi! Glad you are considering the FF. We have a 2008 FF 189fbr. I honestly don't know if they changed anything between the 2007 and 2008 models. The main thing you want to check is whether there is any water leaks or damage. Check the roof well to see if there are current leaks or leaks that have been repaired previously. Check the caulking around any vents or fans. Check the ceiling and walls and around all windows inside. Look for bubbling wall covering. Check inside cabinets. Be thorough. Check under the sinks for signs of leaks. We have been very happy with our 2008 but are noticing some bubbling of the front fiberglass panel. They started arching the roof in later models. Ours is flat like the 2007. Note that your tires may need replacing even though they look to have good tread. Your wheel bearings may also need repacking. These last two go for any RV you purchase of course. We love that the little FF has dual axels. You don't find that on many small rv's. Also be aware that Cruiser RV is no more. They were bought out by Heartland a while back. Support can be hit or miss. We replaced the crummy mattress with a gel infused 8" memory foam one right away. Also put in a great Fantastic fan with rain sensor. Replaced the microwave with a convection model when it died. And I made new cushion covers and valances to make it ours as well as using some Smart Tiles around the kitchen. We sometimes travel with three smallish dogs and the trailer feels tight, but not when we don't have the dogs with us.
Here is a video on construction.
https://youtu.be/677YkrpCJeo
Good luck! We love our 2008.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #3

If this is your first RV, two important points: first, you are going to have more fun than you thought possible. But second, it is going to take some maintenance, and there is a learning curve. If you are a handy person with tools and so forth, no problem. But if you are not handy, a used RV could be expensive -- the dealerships charge a lot for repairs.

With a new RV, you have a warranty to fall back on. We paid for an extended warranty on our 2012 Fun Finder, and so far we have lost money on it, since so little has gone wrong. (And I am a handy person, anyways.) But a warranty is like fire insurance -- you hope it is a waste of money because you don't have a fire. We bought it for peace of mind.

We formerly had a used 2003 Fun Finder -- no warranty -- and it was our first RV, too. It did need work from time to time, and I did it all myself. For example, the front window leaked, so I looked up on the Internet how to fix it. It worked!

In any event, good luck, and be sure to ask lots of questions, especially of the "how to" variety. Us old timers like helping newbies to avoid our mistakes.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflan View Post
Hi,
We're looking at purchasing a 2007 Fun Finder 189FBR. This would be our first RV. We're hoping for your experiences and advice about this model. Are there any maintenance or care issues we should be aware of? Thanks for any insights!

Tim & Mac
Hi Tim & Mac,
As the previous posts indicate, a very close inspection is well worth the effort and cost if you need to get someone to look at it...

Two small tears in my roof this last fall (That I didn't see) (2008 Xt190-Xtra) will cost me $$$, the estimates ran from $4,000 - $7,000... before my $500 deductable...

These are near the front left and right corners... back a bit, so, the repairs will require about 4' of new plywood roofing, ceiling, insulation, paneling, labor, and an entire new rubber roof... Really, think about it, unless you are capable of doing this type of work, leak damage can quickly cost more than the trailer is worth...

If you don't know, hire an expert... A hundred bucks may save you bunches; if you hire an expert and get a certified inspection report that indicates no damage or major repairs required, you have peace of mind and maybe if damage shows up soon after the purchase, you may have something legal to fall back on... Think of this as a house or car, would you buy without an inspection or warranty... ?????

Good luck and hope to see Y'al on the road...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #5

Good advise given by all above.

Yes, check the date on the tires for age.
Here is how: Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

Also make every attempt to get all the manuals that came with the camper. It has some general information but more importantly, it 'should' contain the owners manual for the components that make up your camper ~ that is the furnace, air conditioner, water heater, thermostat, microwave, oven/stove, radio, tv, vent fans, fuse panel, etc. and these will be most valuable to correct any issues that may arise.

Also, if you are not personally familiar with campers, get someone you trust who has owned one for awhile to look it over with you.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflan View Post
Hi,

Tim & Mac
Tim & Mac, have you decided to buy an RV yet?
Another thing to consider is all of the accessories that will be needed with any RV purchase. This can add up to a bit of $$$. If you buy from s dealer they will most likely encourage you to buy things there after you sign the deal. Unless they offer a discount resist doing that. You can do better elsewhere or online. I'm talking about electrical and plumbing fittings, hoses, valves, maybe a rug for under the awning, maybe a grill, chairs, black tank chemicals, RV toilet paper (some use 1000 sheets per roll), kitchen stuff, a door mat to wipe your feet outside the rig, LED bulbs to replace the ones in the rig, stabilizing and leveling blocks, broom &dust pan, tool kit, flashlight, cleaning products, dish pan and drainer, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure I forgot a lot. You are outfitting a little house and it's easier if you don't have to transfer things between your home and camper.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #7

As Mich said, outfit your camper with those 'everyday' used items like silverware, plates, cookware, misc. items like can opener, etc. Also wash clothes, soap, bath towels, etc. and leave them in the camper. Otherwise, it's easy to "forget to load" those items when leaving on an outing.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #8

Default Purchasing advice....

Yep! I just took the "extra" kitchen stuff (measuring cups and spoons, can opener) and put in our camper. Also had extra dish cloths and towels that went out there as well. Bought bath towels, wash cloths at Dollar General on sale that are kept in the camper after washing so they are ready for the next trip. Had some mis-matched silverware that went out there too and of course stocked with paper products. We were lucky as well that we bought ours from a family member and they left pots and pans, broom, heater, plastic plates and bowls, toilet paper. I did buy sheets and made quilts and throw pillows and recovered the dinette cushions and made curtains for the dining window. Don't forget to get flashlights, lanterns and batteries and a step stool. I am vertically challenged so I use it to reach into the tall cabinets, plus is foldable and I take it to the campground shower house to sit on to shave me legs!. Never have mastered shaving in the shower! LOL!!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas newbie View Post
Yep! I just took the "extra" kitchen stuff (measuring cups and spoons, can opener) and put in our camper. Also had extra dish cloths and towels that went out there as well. Bought bath towels, wash cloths at Dollar General on sale that are kept in the camper after washing so they are ready for the next trip. Had some mis-matched silverware that went out there too and of course stocked with paper products. We were lucky as well that we bought ours from a family member and they left pots and pans, broom, heater, plastic plates and bowls, toilet paper. I did buy sheets and made quilts and throw pillows and recovered the dinette cushions and made curtains for the dining window. Don't forget to get flashlights, lanterns and batteries and a step stool. I am vertically challenged so I use it to reach into the tall cabinets, plus is foldable and I take it to the campground shower house to sit on to shave me legs!. Never have mastered shaving in the shower! LOL!!
Yes, those little folding step stools are very handy. We also have an induction cooktop that can be used inside or out. Cooks fast. Little battery powered LED lamps are handy too. Ours pull open. Like $8/ea. I have vertical racks for plates that save room in the cabinet. And one of those under cabinet paper plate holders. We like to eat on real plates (Corian) but paper is good sometimes.
The little plastic drawers hold the thousands of small misc. things you seem to need...batteries, pen and paper, tablecloth, dog stuff, flashlights, etc. we also carry a decent first aid kit. You never know.
Talking about this is really making me long to go camping. 3 1/2 months away!!!