Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2022, 07:07 AM   #1

Default Purchasing my parents a Fun Finder X - seeking guidance

Hi everyone,

My parents are retiring in February 2023 and i've been looking at small travel trailers for them locally over the past few years.

Yesterday, I went and saw a 2010 Fun Finder X 189FBS that to me: seemed in excellent condition and the absolute perfect trailer for them.

I was hoping you all could review the pictures and maybe recommend any critical questions that should be asked?

Framework looks great, everything worked as should. Needs to be resealed this year but it appears they have been in the past and they had a cover for it. New tires. All electric/mechanical components work.

Lastly - NADAGUIDES has the value listed between 8900-10500 ... is that a good range? Considering its 12 years old and appears was around $25k new at retail ... I feel $8500 or so may be a fair offer?

I think this might be the one! Thank you for any guidance.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6460.JPG   IMG_6474.JPG   IMG_6463.JPG   IMG_6475.JPG   IMG_6468.JPG  

IMG_6459.JPG   IMG_6461.JPG   IMG_6464.JPG   IMG_6465.JPG   IMG_6466.JPG  

paulyjm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 01:24 PM   #2

In my opinion, it never hurts to seek a price one is more comfortable with so offer what you believe it's worth to you. The worst to happen is the offer will be refused. Also, a counteroffer may be lower than the asking price so nothing to lose.

Seems used prices have increased some. Also, consider that with the shortage of employees in every industry, the overall quality of an older unit may exceed that of a newer or new unit.

And regardless of age - the overall condition of the unit is paramount.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:00 PM   #3

No idea where the trailer is located, but in expensive SoCal, $8500 would be a great price for that model if it is in good condition and undamaged. If you live in RV country in or around the Indiana/Ohio area where so many are built, that may be a little pricey. You can see in my signature line that we owned a 2012 X189 FBS. It was an awesome trailer we put many miles on. As we aged we decided to go for a north/south bed and FunFinder didn't have what we wanted at that point. We loved the 7' width and the flush floor slide worked flawlessly. Make sure you crawl on the roof to check that seams are sealed well, especially if the trailer has been in a rainy area. FYI: We drove from SoCal to Michigan and picked it up brand new in May 2012 for $16,000 out the door.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:27 AM   #4

We own a ‘09 189FBS. It has been a great unit.

I doubt you will buy it for $8500 — but you never know.

These are in great demand — because…

Aluminum framing
Only 7’ wide when slide out is in
At 3000 lbs — can be pulled by many of the newer trucks and SUV’s
Well equipped
Good floor plan
Inexpensive as compared to new
Dual axles
Low tongue weight

These do not stay on the market very long — and this one seems in pretty good condition. I would be surprised if it is still available.

Good luck & let us know how your search goes.

Best, Fred
foakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:32 PM   #5

OP didn’t mention what the seller was asking for the FF. All replies so far have made good suggestions. I agree with Mr Oakes that this one won’t be on the market for long!
Another consideration would be; will the parents like it? The bed arrangement “East/West vs “North/South” would be a drawback in my mind. My wife and I would always be at odds as to who gets to sleep on the “outside”! Our ‘07 x210 has a “North/South” Queen bed and averts that issue .

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:16 PM   #6

Considering that the fiberglass is not delaminated and all the decals are on it, without being scorched off from the sun I would say it looks in great shape. It must have been stores in doors. No sign of water ingress so that's a plus. Not sure on valve, but it's worth what you're willing to pay and the seller is willing to sell at. Cash talks.
gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:21 PM   #7

I own the same unit, just labeled as Shadow Cruiser. I love it. Perfect size goes places larger units won't fit. If your parents are ok with the bed and the compact size then it is a very good buy. You can see mods I've made in my photos album.
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:57 PM   #8

Default We bought it!

Thank you all for your advice. I’m located in Western NY and the previous owners loved the trailer like a child. They were very sad to let “her” go (they named her Charlotte) but for them, it was time.

We are going to take it for a winterization service and resealing at the dealership that sold it originally and learn the ins and outs of recommended maintenance. We are so thrilled!!
Attached Thumbnails
C5770FE2-09C1-418C-B345-FBAA7F8CA022.jpg  
paulyjm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:52 AM   #9

Congrats!!!
Welcome to the club.

Roxtar is offline   Reply With Quote