Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 11:43 AM   #1

Default Recipe ideas

Ok, I think someone else tried to start a thread like this awhile back and it didn't go very far.

With the "season" coming upon us, I have the "itch" (or should I say the "taste"?) for new ideas of food to make on our trip in June.

So, anyone out there wanna share their favorite(s) that don't include hot dogs or hamburgers? (Can you tell I'm on my lunch hour? LOL!)

Old 01-31-2017, 07:46 PM   #2

Well - just because I don't want the thread to die of loneliness, I'm not sure I have a favorite recipe while camping.
But I'm "easy" to please. I like simple, with minimal fuss and easy clean up.
Spaghetti is a fave - yep, just about any bottled sauce.
Love to grill so we take salmon & halibut filets. Which can be simply grilled or steamed in a foil package with a remoulade sauce.
Something about a simple sandwich with good ham and/or turkey, fresh "real" cheese slices and mayo with fresh tomato slices and lettuce.
No gourmet here.

runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:45 AM   #3

I plan to take sandwiches with us while "sight-seeing"-call me crazy, but there are 2 reasons, convience (don't have to wait in lines), and, since we live in good old Kansas with flat and sometimes hilly landscapes, it appeals to me to find a spot alongside the route to pull over and take in the surrounding scenery and fresh air. Back at camp is a different type of food, and I'm looking for other ideas to try!
Old 02-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #4

No gourmet cooking here either I'm afraid. I do marinate chicken in a bag to cook sometimes. But I have also bought Deli salads to have with a meat entree. We don't have hamburgers in buns at home very often. But they seem 'right' on a camping trip. We prefer ground bison. Fruit salads always work. Either made up before hand or we just take the ingredients. We spend a lot of time away from the campground and often get back late and tired so quick and easy works best. In the summer we stop at fruit stands also.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas newbie View Post
I plan to take sandwiches with us while "sight-seeing"-call me crazy, but there are 2 reasons, convience (don't have to wait in lines), and, since we live in good old Kansas with flat and sometimes hilly landscapes, it appeals to me to find a spot alongside the route to pull over and take in the surrounding scenery and fresh air. Back at camp is a different type of food, and I'm looking for other ideas to try!
Hi Kansas newbie,
LOL, on the dying thread... I'm guessing that everyone was watching sports on TV, getting the FF ready for the season, or didn't want to share their secret recipes...

I am really a simple recipe guy, but want something different occasionally, but like runner421 said, "Something about a simple sandwich with good ham and/or turkey, fresh "real" cheese slices and mayo with fresh tomato slices and lettuce," goes great. However, being a vegan, I need to make a few changes here and there, and often use a wrap instead of bread, but the basics still apply... I eat more beans, corn, raw spinach, kale and make my own hummus... Hmmm, Smokey Pepper Hummus or Cashew Butter on Toast or is pretty darn good also...

Don't forget the old Handy-Dandy Campfire Sandwich Irons... They come in a wide assortment of styles and sizes... I like the cast iron, single sandwich ones... Mmmm, a fire-toasted "Grilled Cheese and Bacon" (Yup, I can make a vegan version to) is quick and easy and goes great with a cup of Tomato-Basil soup by the fire... These are great for the kids to make their own concoctions also (If they are old enough)...
(Attached photo from Camping World)
Attached Images

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #6

I love to cook and I really like getting creative with flavors. I work in the food industry, so I steal a lot of my ideas from top chefs throughout the country that we work with.

Fish tacos are easy to prepare with your catch of the day (Walleye!), sweet chili sauce made with Thai chili's and a slaw.
Chicken Poblano Quesadilla's, a little more work, but blackening the skin over an open fire on the Poblanos to peel off really brings them to life. People tell me they won;t like this one..."ewww, I don't think i'll like that" until they try it. I have friends that request this one...a lot.
I'll try and type a few up (I mainly wing it while cooking) and post them up.
Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #7

Kafn8td that would be great if you would! I'm not looking for gourmet meals, just wanted some options in place of the usual hamburgers and hotdogs! As I said in a different thread, I always take too much food anyway, especially in our small fridge!
Old 02-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #8

We have made "Camp Stew" for years while camping. 1 lb. grnd beef, 1 large onion, 1 can"Rotel" tomatoes, 1 or 2 cans mixed veggies and catsup to taste. Brown beef in stew pot, add chopped onions and saute until onions are clear. If necessary drain fat from pot and add vegs and Rotel. Simmer until flavors are mixed well and heated through. Add some catsup if desired and may need a bit of water. This receipe came about when these were the items we had during a rain storm and did not want to get out and run to a store for other items. We make this every time we camp.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #9

When out with the camper, we often don't eat at the camper since it's a break for the wife from cooking.

Also, if coming across what appears to be a nice eating establishment during the day, we will dine there.

Evenings if we make anything other than a snack, I will cook a delicious, well marbled, juicy 1.5" thick beef steak on the grill with a baked potato and toast.

The ONLY thing to add to a good juicy steak is salt and pepper ~ so that is my recipe contribution.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #10

We bbq at home (on a Big Green Egg smoker grill) and then package the meat in meal-size portions and freeze them. When we camp, we take out a package, dump it in a nonstick skillet with a little bbq sauce, and then simmer for a few minutes. Very easy, and easy cleanup -- wipe the skillet with a used napkin before washing it.
Almost no water is needed to wash the skillet -- a few drops of Dr Bronner's soap on a wet paper towel, rub, and rinse in a dribble of water. (We boondock a lot, so water conservation is a big deal to us. The real problem is gray water capacity because we shower in the trailer.)

We also usually have tossed green salad -- my wife preps the lettuce at home and packs it in a plastic bag with wet paper towels to keep the lettuce fresh. She adds a few goodies at dinnertime, like cut up carrots and olives and red pepper. She dumps it all into a plastic bag, dumps in a little dressing, and dumps out the bag --nothing to wash!

This is accompanied by toast -- I make bread at home and we slice it up. We toast it on the stove, on a piece of metal that covers the grill. Nothing to wash. We even use popsicle sticks (get them at a craft store) to butter the bread. Just toss them --nothing to wash.

Breakfast is usually a four cheese omelette and salsa and toast and Danish pastry and Starbucks coffee. I make the coffee pour-over style -- a paper filter in a plastic basket that sits on a carafe. When the coffee is brewed, the filter and the grounds go into the garbage -- nothing to wash.

Once in a great while, we will go out for pizza. We both watch what we eat, and we try to watch salt and fat, so most restaurant food is not great for our health. But I do like a pizza, especially after a really long hike.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas newbie View Post
Kafn8td that would be great if you would! I'm not looking for gourmet meals, just wanted some options in place of the usual hamburgers and hotdogs! As I said in a different thread, I always take too much food anyway, especially in our small fridge!
Hey Kansas Newbie (and others that may be interested),
I also belong to the Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailer Forum and they have a ton of information and great reads, but more to your question on "Camp Cooking", you might find one of their threads especially interesting...
Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View forum - Recipes by and for teardroppers

I made a number of trips to China teaching mechanics and learned that a meal is a "Social Time" and should be enjoyed... so Happy reading and enjoy the meal with family and friends...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote