Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2021, 01:02 AM   #1

Lightbulb Removal of couch in 2011 189FBS

I plan to remove the manufacturer’s installed couch from my travel trailer as it makes into a short uncomfortable bed with a gap in it. I will replace it with an owner built couch with no arms and with 2 big pull out drawers to give me easy access under bed/couch storage. The couch will be made to pull out to make a bed of the same width as the original but will be 5’10” long which will allow me to bring an adult friend on my trip.

This seems like a major design flaw on the part of the manufacturer as there is little storage space in these tiny trailers and gaining easy access to all the space underneath is a huge bonus.

It is obvious the couch needs to be partially disassembled to get it out the door of the trailer. I am hoping someone has already done this and can tell me the easiest and safest way to do this.

After that, my next project will be to somehow raise the height of the existing bunk which is over the queen so if I ever have 2 adults in the bed the person toward the front of the trailer won’t bean their head on the overhead bunk trying to get out of bed at night to use the john. Has anyone else done that? I don’t need or want it as a bunk but I do want to keep at least 2/3 of it as storage space.

Thanks for any suggestions.🙏

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:23 PM   #2
Cnc

Did you ever do this to your couch?
I just purchased a 2007 189 and just realized after bringing it home the factory couch was changed by a previous owner to a breakfast nook. Part of what he did was done nicely other parts are “what the heck was he thinking.
Also he extended the bunk over the queen bed all the way out to the same width as the Queen. I plan to undo that last change and improve what he did to put in the breakfast nook.

Cnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:31 PM   #3

Default Couch removal/upgrade

Yes, i finally finished the couch upgrade. I sold the old couch and built a new one with a wood base and drawers underneath with full extension glidesClick image for larger version

Name:	E5B1EE57-C56D-4D1E-B87D-62C95C1A38CC.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	1949

Click image for larger version

Name:	49C3378F-8678-4871-A570-37BCBD05FC29.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	1950

Name:	B9F589DF-FB8B-4CE2-9686-B595933C8E17.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	1951

Name:	EE566FD3-20AF-450D-8CF5-B23C23BE4BB1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	1952.
The couch will now make into a 70 x 42” guest bed and I have two 28” drawers with full extension glides for extra storage.
Here are a few pics.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
Cnc

Wow! That looks so much better. So do you still have a table to eat at or is that not needed in your use of the trailer? I’ll try to post a pic of the nook a previous owner made. Can’t say as I like it as he really did not plan it well, the table is too big to drop in the center to turn into a sleep area and none of the cushions would fill the area properly anyway. Also the mod he did to the bunk is a real hack job.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:22 PM   #5
Cnc

Default Breakfast nook mod

A couple of pics
Attached Thumbnails
302A8CAB-4E71-4D4D-91DE-6E75D026DDBB.jpg   B3DB7F47-CEB6-4D7D-854E-A06F891F6AB4.jpg  
Old 07-18-2021, 10:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnc View Post
Wow! That looks so much better. So do you still have a table to eat at or is that not needed in your use of the trailer? I’ll try to post a pic of the nook a previous owner made. Can’t say as I like it as he really did not plan it well, the table is too big to drop in the center to turn into a sleep area and none of the cushions would fill the area properly anyway. Also the mod he did to the bunk is a real hack job.
So far it is just me and sometimes my little dog. I just use a TV tray inside. If I had a co-pilot, I would use a small folding table. The original that came with the trailer is far too heavy for ne to move around. If I had to do it over, I would make the wood section 1 1/2” lower and 1” less of foam in the upholstery.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:17 AM   #7
Cnc

Well you did a very nice job! I just realized comparing pic’s the slider goes out quite a bit farther on the newer models than my 2007. Mine only goes out about 18 inches. Thanks for the pics you have given me some inspiration as to what I could do to improve mine.

Tags
2011 189 fbs, couch removal, elevate bunk