Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2022, 01:01 PM   #1

Default Removed Old Decals on my 2008

Hello! I have been in the process of removing decals on my funfinder. It has been quite the process. My question is I have removed some decals on my doors and it needs paint. What kind of paint would you recommend using and I have a couple spots on the body as well Thoughts? Thanks in advance Kim

Jazzedkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 04:53 PM   #2

Did you use the rubber eraser discs attached to a drill like the body shops use to remove decals?

They are available on Amazon: HXXF Car Decal and Sticker Remover Tool Rubber Eraser Wheel with Drill Adapter Kit for Removing Vinyl, Pinstripes, Stickers,2Pack for about $20.

I'd guess the same kind of paint used to paint a car .. like a Corvette that is all fiberglass. Any body shop can assist in the determination.

Old 09-17-2022, 04:47 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. No I did it the hard way and scraped by hand and occasionally would get a long piece that would come off and that was cool.

Thanks for the suggestion on car paint. I wish they wouldn't put the stupid decals on in the first place. Have a good one!
Jazzedkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:05 PM   #4

I used WD40 and elbow grease to remove. Took a couple of hours as I recall.
gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 03:20 PM   #5

Unfortunately, when I removed my decals, a shadow was left that is part of the gel coated fiberglass. No amount of rubbing compound and buffing removed it.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:12 AM   #6

One thing to remember is that the fiberglass is paper thin. Any type of power tool can easily breach this material. This is why stone chips can penetrate it.

Yes, the area under it will most definitely be less yellowed than the area around it. You can either purchase new decals or get a custom graphic (paint) to cover it up. I left mine and in a few years you could hardly tell the difference. You can do a light sand and repaint the entire area, but then you'd have to paint the entire trailer. There is no winning. The best thing is to remove the decals the moment you get the trailer as you know they are going to come off eventually.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:53 AM   #7

I know some who had the decals fade, crack and peel. Their solution was to take it to a place that makes automobile body wraps that removed the old decals and either made new ones same as the factory decals and installed them or had new ones painted on so looked same as factory decals.