Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #1

Default Reviews of Fun Finders/Shadow

I have found a 2014 S185 FBR for an attractive price and started looking on the reviews on quality, pros and cons. I have to tell you I am more than a little concerned from what I have read. I don't have a dog in this fight and am simple consumer trying to figure things out. I hope the company has aggressively gone after the "legacy costs" of years of poor quality management and service.

If this is a great trailer company, it needs some success stories. There is a Utube video with 8000 hits by a woman out there with a new Fun Finder who had a poorly constructed trailer and a terrible repair experience. She made a second video when nothing was done to help her. If I were management, I'd go out and find her, immediately repair or replace her trailer. Perhaps she would make an update video showing how they are now seriously standing behind their products.

tbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #2

This is really a tough call -- most of us who have recently-made Fun Finders (post 200 have had very good experiences -- few problems, cooperative dealers, and a responsive manufacturer. Some folks have not had great experiences, with some defects and some difficulties with the dealers and the manufacturer.

I used to think that some of the folks who were having trouble were just grouchy malcontents. I no longer think so -- there are some people who have excellent judgment and top-notch people skills that have still run into trouble getting their RVs into top shape.

I don't think that Cruiser RV, the outfit that makes Fun Finders, is any worse or better than any other company. Even Airstream has its detractors, and those units are very expensive.

My advice is not to buy a new trailer, from any manufacturer, without the extended warranty. Don't buy from a dealer who has a bad reputation on Yelp. Don't buy a trailer unless there is a dealer who handles that make within an hour's drive of your house. And be prepared to make some minor repairs yourself.

I wish I could tell you that this is a risk-free situation, but it is not. Would I buy a new Fun Finder? Absolutely. This is my second Cruiser product, and I like it a lot.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
Site Team

I agree. I'd suggest picking any manufacturer and do the same internet search you did for FunFinder. You'll probably find the same number of complaints and UTube videos as you did for Cruiser. Unfortuneatly the RV industry doesn't have the same level of quality as people have come to expect with new cars. You can get some very well built trailers and some absolute lemons of the same model from the same manufucturer. And it's not likely you find very many people posting that they had a great success story, you only hear of the problems. Even if the woman in the video had her trailer replaced I doubt she'd take the time to post a new video about her great service experience.

Also the dealer makes a HUGE difference. Many dealers don't seem to care once you pull the trailer off the lot. In that situation even simple, easily remedied problems take on a new level of significance.

For what it's worth I've had no significant issues with my trailer.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #4

LJAZ makes a very good point -- the postings about any given item are usually skewed toward the negative, since happy customers are unlikely to post random messages of happiness. Unhappy people are much more likely to post negative comments. So there is no way to tell what the typical person is experiencing, since the sample is inherently biased.

Just for the heck of it, I looked on Yelp for reviews of Cruiser RV in Elkhart -- there is only one review, and it is positive. Statistically meaningless! And there is no entry at all for Fun Finder.

It is too bad that RVs aren't sold by Amazon -- we'd be much more likely to get a wide range of customer comments.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #5

As a new owner of a 2015 Fun Finder, I don't have a lot of specific background. However, we have been camping in ours since January 14th and have been enjoying it greatly. I totally agree with what has been said here by LJAZ and profdant139. Having a dealer who cares about you as a customer is the primary source of a good experience. We have had issues with ours (in spite of being new and having a good dealer) but fewer than our previous two trailers from other manufacturers. Most have been repairable by me while in a campsite.

We are still enjoying our trip but are trying to get home. We're hanging out south of Atlanta because of fresh snowfall and ice where we live and my reluctance to take a 5,000 lb trailer down a 40 degree, 200 foot long long driveway !

Old 03-31-2015, 09:28 AM   #6

Default I'm Buying A Second Shadow Cruiser

We are very satisfied with our 2010 Shadow Cruiser hybrid. Satisfied enough that I am buying a new SC travel trailer.

When we bought our SC 19H it was 2 years old. At the time, we compared it to hybrids from other manufacturers and thought the SC to be of higher quality. It never leaked which is always a concern with hybrids considering the 2 big openings on the ends with seals and tenting.
2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost
https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...psrtdivxrb.jpg
harryshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:39 PM   #7

I"d suggest you make your purchase from a good reputable dealer. A quality dealer will go thru the units top to bottom, front to back and make sure everything functions and any issues are corrected before offering the unit for sale.

I believe some folks buy from the "cheapest priced place' and suffer due to a lack of dealer prep when the unit arrives from the factory. There are some so-called 'wholesale dealers' that sell on price only. I can't say for sure, but it would be my guess they don't pre-prep the units before selling them.

A dealer with a good reputation and a dedicated service department can/will resolve most issues.

Just my impression.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #8

Our Fun Finder dealer charges a $700 Pre-Delivery Fee that is worth every penny. Our "walk-thru" covered about 3 hours of detailed demonstrations and absolutely every system in the unit functioned at 100%. Even though we had leaks (slide-out and bedroom window) on our first trip, I was still grateful that things I couldn't fix with packing tape all functioned normally

One of the three burner valves on the range top seized and wouldn't turn. It was in the ON position at the time heating pasta sauce so I had to remove it. I still used packing tape to block off the fuel rail where the valve had been in order to still have function on the remaining two burners

Lesson here ..... always carry a roll of packing tape and buy from a good servicing dealer

Old 04-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #9

Default Local Dealer For Sure

We have purchased three campers. Pop UP, hybrid and travel trailer. All from the same dealer which is located 20 minutes from my home. I have seen cheaper prices from on-line dealers. I'd rather work with a local guy. I think you get the money back over time.

Sometimes I think our local dealer pushes Keystone products over Cruiser RV. They have never tried to steer me away from Cruiser RV and do acknowledge the positives of the Cruiser RV products. When we narrowed our choice down to two finalists, they volunteered details about our Shadow Cruiser which made it a clear winner.
2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost
https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...psrtdivxrb.jpg
harryshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #10

Default Re: Reviews of Fun Finders/Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbawden
I have found a 2014 S185 FBR for an attractive price and started looking on the reviews on quality, pros and cons. I have to tell you I am more than a little concerned from what I have read. I don't have a dog in this fight and am simple consumer trying to figure things out. I hope the company has aggressively gone after the "legacy costs" of years of poor quality management and service.

If this is a great trailer company, it needs some success stories. There is a Utube video with 8000 hits by a woman out there with a new Fun Finder who had a poorly constructed trailer and a terrible repair experience. She made a second video when nothing was done to help her. If I were management, I'd go out and find her, immediately repair or replace her trailer. Perhaps she would make an update video showing how they are now seriously standing behind their products.
You did not mention if the 2014 unit you are considering is a new 'left over' or used from a dealer or a used unit from a private party.

In either case, have the seller walk you thru the unit and show that everything functions to your satisfaction, plumbing/electrical/gas/etc. And do the same on the exterior.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #11

One post from the OP, and a negative one at that. Kinda suspicious IMO.