Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #1

Default Shadow cruiser made from cardboard!!

The other day I noticed some brown rusty staples on the inside just above the bed, then I noticed that the ceiling in the top right hand corner was bubbly and soft and even on the outside I noticed that the skin is getting bubbly and starting to delaminate.

So today I decided to take off the strips that hold the frontcap on, after removing all the strips screws and caulking I lifted up the front cap from the roof down, I had no idea that they made those things out of cardboard.
Basically it was a layer of cardboard and then thin fiberglass layer as a front cap.

Unfortunately the cardboard was all wet. I just let everything open and let it dry out and maybe later this week I will reseal everything and button it all up, as we or going on our 14 day trip next week.
after we get home, might have to hang a for sale sign on her.

jeepcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #2

Here's a link you may find interesting. May or may not be the same as yours.
filon delamination

Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #3

Hmmm. I recently replaced the front window in my Fun Finder (it cracked due to thermal stress), and when I pulled the frame out of the trailer, I carefully examined the inside of the front cap. It looked fine -- fiberglass bonded directly to the foam, with no gaps and no cardboard.

I wonder if somebody messed up while fabricating your front cap and somehow used cardboard to cover up some sort of a problem?? This is the first I have heard of cardboard as a building material, in any trailer made by any company.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:24 PM   #4

profdant, having taken the window out, how hard do you think it would be to rebuild the front of the trailer with no window at all? I'd like to take our window out (if we keep the trailer) and replace the front fiberglass with aluminum.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #5

I think it would be fairly easy to replace the window with an aluminum panel. I've never done it, though!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote