Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

Default Showering in the T139

Does ANYONE actually use the shower in the T139 or other units with a wet bathroom? We bought our unit used, mainly because it was tiny and had the toilet. The sink is SO shallow, so we're looking to replace that with a deeper stainless one to match the two-burner stove. We would love to be able to use the shower, but, seriously, how does water not leak out the door?? Has anyone installed an exterior shower (for cleaning a muddy dog, etc..)??

usanor2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:07 PM   #2

Yes!! We showered hundreds of times in our T-139, and hundreds more in our X-139. And I am 6'3" and am not slim, to put it mildly.

So what's the trick? First, we installed a shower curtain so the water did not spill out of the door. We used a tension rod for the curtain rod. And instead of shower curtain rings, I used cable tie loops. (Very fancy decor.)

Second, I installed a long shower hose, instead of a wall nozzle.

Third, a water-saving showerhead. The Oxygenics showerhead is very nice but uses too much water. We bought one of those water-miser showerheads, the kind that a stingy landlord would put in a cheap apartment.

Fourth, I added an easy-on, easy-off valve, so we could take Navy showers. Get wet (or moist, anyway). Turn off the valve. Soap up (more on that later). Rinse fast.

Fifth, I sit on the toilet lid (closed) to shower. With the hose, I can get to those hard to reach places.

Sixth, use soap that is really easy to rinse off. We like diluted Dr. Bronners liquid soap in a small squeeze bottle. Pro tip -- don't get peppermint. There are places on your body that should not feel minty fresh. Don't ask how I know this. We use lavender. I smell like the bouquet at a 1968 hippie wedding, but my wife likes it, so okay.

With all of these techniques, I can (and do) use less than a half gallon to shower. My wife, who is not bald like me, needs about two gallons. Her hair is fairly short, though. Long thick hair will quickly exhaust your water supply.

All of this permits us to shower every single night, even while boondocking. At home, a Navy shower would be a hardship. Out in the middle of howling nowhere, a Navy shower is a pleasure and a privilege. And minimal water usage extends the time that you can boondock.

One more tip -- even if you are an electricity miser like me, run the furnace during shower time. Especially at high altitude, where the air is cold and dry. Step out of a hot shower into a 45 degree room, and you will know what I mean.

The shower was really the key factor that convinced us to get a trailer. We were seriously considering tent camping, but neither one of us likes to go to bed without a shower. Especially if we have nice clean sheets, instead of a sleeping bag.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 05-20-2021, 06:09 PM   #3

And I forgot to mention the outside shower -- we closed it off. We don't have a dog, and it is usually too cold outside for us to shower out there. Plus there is no privacy, which is a big deal in a campground.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:22 AM   #4
APD

Talking

Yup! We use ours all the time. I'm 6' and it's tight in there but I much prefer it to most campground showers. In fact I'm currently remodeling with FRP wall covering, new shower pan and relocating the faucet. Recently added electric to the water heater so there's plenty of hot water.
The wife likes it because it's easy to get the tiny space warm. I like it cause you have to get undressed/dressed outside the shower......
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:42 AM   #5

I tried once, it was hard... so we'll probably only ever use it if we absolutely have to. We use the outside shower. I made a PVC pipe structure and two shower curtains, then three bamboo floor panels to stand on. We have a shoe carrier on the end of the structure to hold our soap, shampoo, etc.

For the inside I added a rail system for the inside shower so the curtain can slide all around you. It was originally meant for a curtain and to be hung straight, but I noticed it could be curled around the tiny bathroom. I then velcro the curtain up toward the back behind the toilet when not in use.

Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:49 AM   #6

Still giggling here. LOL I had given thought to a shower curtain but hubby (6'3") insists it [shower] cannot be used. I have long hair, so need more water, but that's doable. Was the shower curtain just on the door side of the cabinet then? I'm a bit hesitant to not cover all the walls in that small space. It seems to be the same wallpaper as what's in the rest of the trailer? After having a Class A with an actual shower, it's a bit intimidating, to say the least. I want to do whatever it takes to be able to use everything though, so will chat with the hubby regarding your suggestions.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #7

I had visions of the outside shower in use at a Wal-Mart. Decided against that.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #8

LOL good to know.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:56 AM   #9

How clever! Just what I had in mind, plus adding something to the walls themselves to make them more water-friendly. I envisioned the vintage claw foot tub turned shower idea.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:04 AM   #10

So, the rod you fashioned to encircle the bath was made using simple metal curtain rods pieced together to form the shape?
Old 05-21-2021, 08:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by usanor2021 View Post
So, the rod you fashioned to encircle the bath was made using simple metal curtain rods pieced together to form the shape?
It's not a rod, it's a rail.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-21-2021, 10:39 AM   #12

Got it. Believe I found what we can use, on Amazon. Instead of screws, hope we can use those sticky tapes that hold up towel bars and such. Hate making holes in the RV. I'm excited to make this space usable!!
Old 05-21-2021, 10:51 AM   #13

https://www.amazon.com/NeatiEase-Cei...B6E1S7D0Z&th=1
Old 05-24-2021, 05:16 PM   #14

Well, we’re prolly not as “seasoned” as many here and while neither proud nor ashamed, don’t boondocks. I’ll also add, we’ve NEVER used the shower in our ‘07 x210 FF. It’s actually quite nice AND doesn’t have the toilet-in -it feature. We do generally camp at parks that DO have restrooms with shower facilities and do prefer them. I do understand the concept of the Navy shower. I was assigned to a MASH (Army) unit in late 1995 thru late 1996 in the former Republic of Yugoslavia. Early on we had no “official” bathing facilities (ablution units) and for 75 days “bathed” out of one of my canteen cups! As one might imagine, that was its sole purpose ��.
Back to the topic. I’m tempted to use our shower but I’m concerned RE: how fast the waste water tank will fill up, since most of the places we camp for sure will have electricity, prolly will have water but might not have on-site sewer hook ups.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:27 PM   #15

We don't boondock a lot, unless we're strapped for a place to pull over, and when we do it's likely just a Pilot travel station amidst the big rigs. We've always used our RVs amenities as we've run across some pretty frightening toilets and shower houses at parks. We only shower if we're in full hook up, so don't have to worry about usage, filling tanks, etc.. The sink in the T139 is SO shallow and tiny. I don't see myself even being able to wash dishes, hair, etc.. Looking to replace that with a deeper stainless bar or marine sink to match the micro-size two-burner stove.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:41 AM   #16
APD

We understand the draw and beauty of boondocking we just like our comforts. Seen some pretty nasty camp showers too but even the cleanest ones are sometimes just too far away from the best campsites. Our ol' legs aren't as good as they used to be.
We have a campervan that we take loafering quite often. With it we have a very nice two room shower cabana, outside water heater and pump along with a camp potty. It's actually very nice as long as the weather isn't cold.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:15 PM   #17

Sounds good! Our shower rail and curtains came in, so excited to get them up for a practice run.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:35 PM   #18

Our grey tank fills up quickly when we do dishes in the sink. I've asked my wife to start using the outside shower to fill buckets and wash, then we use that water to extinguish our campfires.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:27 PM   #19

We've decided, in order to help keep the rig light, we'll be using disposable plates, bowls, etc.. Not sure how long that'll last, and I have to find biodegradable goodies, but it will save on a lot of washing. That sink is SO tiny! Still looking for a deeper stainless marine or bar prep sink as I think I'll be able to go about 6" deep. We'll be going out for a test here shortly. Finally had warm enough weather to put up our last decal. Whoo hoo! The long ones were a pain, but it's done with. Not finding original graphics, we went on our own. New awning is up as well. How on earth do I upload a photo here using a Chromebook??? I don't have a URL link. Hmmm....