Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #1

Default Slideout Manually Operated

Our trailer is a 2014 189FBS we purchased new about six months ago. Trailer came with a long (24 inches approx.) crank that I thought could be used to manually retract the slideout if needed. Our walk through person never addressed the use of this crank or how it could be used. All Schwintek info and videos I have seen say you need to remove slideout motors and then push slideout in with brute force. I don't see anywhere on the trailer that this crank could be used for anything. Can someone tell me how to correctly manually retract the slideout if it ever becomes necessary? I'm trying to be prepared just in case. Also, the crank I am referring to above is not the electric tongue jack crank that I have used many times when the battery is off the trailer. Sorry to be so long winded.
Thank you

mthiker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #2

If like mine, the crank is to crank down the stabelizer jacks on the 4 corners, and lower the spare tire from under the rear of the camper.

There is no way to hand crank the slide out in. Disconnect the motors and manually push it in, then block it in place with a piece of wood like the videos showed.

Here is some info:
http://lci1.com/assets/content/suppo...sheet/0272.pdf

Old 09-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

If it's like my 2015, that crank is to manually bring in the awning should the need ever arise. I found the online manual to my awning. It's a PDF file. I downloaded it to my confuser so I won't need internet to read it!

The original video I had bookmarked on the Schwintek slide has been removed!

But I found this one - don't know if it's helpful:

Actually, there seems to be quite a few Schwintek videos on YouTube...now, we just have to hope our problems arise when we have an internet connection!
Old 09-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #4

Here's a screen shot of where the manual override is for the electric awning:

Old 09-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #5

Default Slideout Manually operating

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep
Here's a screen shot of where the manual override is for the electric awning:

Thanks for the responses. Now I know what the long crank is for and I hope I never have to try to manually retract my slideout.
Thanks all.
mthiker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #6

mthiker33, I don't recommend "hoping." If either your awning or your slideout won't come in, you're stuck and can't drive anywhere. That would be very annoying if you're home, but a lot worse if you're at a campsite and can't leave. In our first month with our Fun Finder, we've had numerous slideout failures and have had it in to the shop twice. We're now on our third motor and second wiring harness for our rear mechanism. I recommend everyone learn all they can about the Schwintek slideout system. You can work around most problems in a travel trailer, but if your slideout is sticking out 3 feet on the traffic side, you aren't going anywhere. Believe me, it's a HUGE hassle.
Kevin & Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Kate
mthiker33, I don't recommend "hoping." If either your awning or your slideout won't come in, you're stuck and can't drive anywhere. That would be very annoying if you're home, but a lot worse if you're at a campsite and can't leave.

Having the awning out didn't stop Robin Willians in the movie "RV"

Then again, it was just a rental!