Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #1

Smile Spare tire mount

Hello,

I was wonder if anyone knows how to remount the spare tire on the back wall of a 2009 160wb?

I was told it just fell off. mount and all.

Thanks in advance.

scubamado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:13 AM   #2

If you look on the inside of your back wall, perhaps behind the toilet, you may find what looks like a cover scabbed onto the wall with a couple of small screws. I have a 189FBR and in my case it is right behind the toilet.

Remove the cover and you will see a piece of plywood that is imbedded in the wall or perhaps on the wall's surface. The plywood will have two blind nuts attached to it. These nuts receive the bolts that hold the tire mounting bracket onto the outside wall. It is pretty simple and not a very strong setup.

I have heard that the tire bracket is a notorious spot for water to seep into the wall. I pulled my tire bracket off and found that they did not seal around the bolts at all and moisture could come right in. If enough moisture gets in, it could rot out the plywood and loosen the blind nuts. Worst case, the bracket could fall off, nuts and all leaving a hole in the trailer.

OR, perhaps your tire bracket just vibrated off due to the bolts just loosening up over time due to use. Don't know. You will be able to tell when you pull the cover off.

If you find dry rot in the plywood, replace it with a larger piece and get some new blind nuts and bolts. I think the only reason they used blind nuts is because they mount flush with the surface of the plywood and can be covered more easily. Depending on your skill and on the amount of damage, you may have to resign yourself to the fact that it may look different when you are done. That's OK. The important thing is to make it strong.

When you dig into it, post some pictures of what's going on.

It is a good idea to inspect the spare tire bracket often....its kind of cheesy.

Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamado View Post
Hello,

I was wonder if anyone knows how to remount the spare tire on the back wall of a 2009 160wb?

I was told it just fell off. mount and all.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Forum scubamado...
I have an XT-190 and my spare is mounted under the tongue, but Chirpz sounds like he's on the right track and if you haven't already, you might want to check all your caulked places... Roof, windows, attachments...

Good luck

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #4

Well I pulled all the little panels I could find. No go......The shower/tub are in the way .the shower wall is the back wall
Old 09-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamado View Post
Well I pulled all the little panels I could find. No go......The shower/tub are in the way .the shower wall is the back wall
Oh Man!! I bet the blind nuts are behind the shower wall. Measure over from the edge of the trailer on the outside and compare the measurement from the inside and see if that is so... If it is, then it will be more difficult to fix. Did the blind nuts pull out of the trailer leaving an ugly hole or are the bolts simply missing?
Old 09-24-2016, 02:57 PM   #6

Bolts are missing. I can feel something bouncing around on the underbelly fabric about the size of a few nuts. I'm wondering if I can gain access from underneath?
Old 09-24-2016, 03:16 PM   #7

I pulled my cover plate off and took some pictures...also looked at what I think is your floor plan online on google. It looks like the tire is lined up with the shower so the mounting bolts would be behind the shower. See first two pictures... #1 shows the cover plate (you don't have one because the shower skin is your cover plate.) The second shows 4 blind nuts (not two as I previously stated.) When I thump on the wall up and down on and near the bolts it is obvious that they have a piece of plywood or hardwood imbedded in there, probably screwed between two panel members, then they put the wall skin right over it....

If the nuts have fallen out, then they will have to be replaced and I think the only way you can do that is to remove the shower panel....its thin and flimsy if like mine.

Here is a WILD idea that would work if you don't mind a "red neck" look. Go to Walmart and buy a tough plastic cutting board like the one in #3. (I use it for a saw guide so it looks kind of rough) Get the smallest one and reshape it to suit yourself but it must be bigger than the tire mount.

Drill through the trailer and the shower and the cutting board making four new holes for the tire bracket. use new bolts that are long enough to go through the trailer and fasten through the cutting board. The bolts could attach to new blind nuts in the cutting board, or regular nuts and washer. Caulk everything inside and out, especially the old holes. The cutting board would be a very visible backer plate mounted inside the shower on the wall. Make sure you are not drilling into the soap holder....it would have to be a flat area.

It would be kind of ugly but it would work and be strong. (Just a cheesy Idea)

If you remove the shower wall skin, then you can fix the blind nuts correctly and if the backer wood is rotted, move the bracket up or down or sideways a little to hit a more solid spot.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2486.JPG   DSCN2487.JPG   DSCN2488.JPG