Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2021, 01:21 PM   #1

Default Storage tips and tricks

Since space is so valuable (especially in a smaller trailer), we've developed some methods to help us squeeze as much as possible into those few precious cubic inches. In no particular order, here are some idea:

Underseat storage: our dinette has these hatches that make the underseat area available (but not convenient). If there are wires and cables under there, bundle them up with cable ties and fasten the bundles out of the way, along the back of the compartment.

We put storage crates (kind of like small milk crates) in the underseat areas, and we fill them with canned goods. (Label the cans on top with a sharpie -- otherwise, it is hard to tell which can is which).

Bulky bedding can be jammed into "stuff sacks" (kind of like rugged nylon pillow cases). The stuff sacks then can be jammed into the underseat compartment.

We keep inventory lists of what is stored where -- there is so much gear squirreled away in various places that it is hard to keep track of it all. The list makes it easy to locate -- "where are those spare rolls of toilet paper?"

One more tip -- keep things like cereal and noodles in mouse-proof plastic tubs -- those critters will bite through an ordinary plastic bag, no problem.

OK, now it's your turn to post some storage ideas!

Old 01-21-2021, 07:07 PM   #2

Guess everyone has better things to do right now! ����*♀️

Old 01-22-2021, 10:17 AM   #3

Or else they have bigger trailers than I do, so they don't have to worry about storage?? The interior of our trailer is 77 square feet -- 11 by 7 -- and that includes all of the fixtures and cabinets and fridge and bed and everything. So we have to be very careful about what we bring along and how we stow it.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #4

Not sure how big ours is as far as square footage goes, but it’s a 19 footer. Storage is a premium. Have under dinette bench storage, cabinets above the dinette, cabinet above kitchen sink, small one above fridge, closet below tv and two narrow ones next to outside door, one (divided) below kitchen sink and small one below bathroom sink. Thinking of getting some baskets to hang on wall above toilet for towels; plastic drawer stand to go in the bottom narrow one for extra tools, fuses, outdoor cooking utensils, etc. I really envy those that have more storage, but for now, I make work with what we have. Do plan on making new valance covers, dinette cushion covers and curtains before the winger is over!
Old 01-22-2021, 05:40 PM   #5

Well - I've never been short of storage in my unit. I even tore out the dinette and 3 surrounding benches (storage under each) to install two recliners and small 'coffee' table between the chairs.
Still ample storage.
Maybe some just haul to much stuff?
Or maybe I am more frugal on what I put in my unit?
Old 01-22-2021, 05:59 PM   #6

True, some pack more than they need-I have that problem with packing food! I would like to be able to get to things after setting up the inside without having to ask dh to get up so I can get something out off the bench storage, or get something from my bench would hampers is sight to the tv!
Old 01-22-2021, 10:42 PM   #7

We keep our 'food supplies' pretty minimal to breakfast, a few steaks for on the grill and bottled water/pop along with an assortment of 'snacks.'
Generally we have at least one if not two or sometimes all meals at a nearby restaurant. That way, it's not only my 'vacation event' but relieves the wife from 'kitchen duties' so she can enjoy a 'vacation event' too w/o cooking 3 meals a day and dishes besides.

This may not work for all --- but is a good method for us.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #8

We also will go out to eat,locally, especially if we are out “sight-seeing”; but since I never know if plans will change, I “ over” prepare for the possibility!
Old 01-23-2021, 08:53 AM   #9
Site Team

I think with a 139 you're a lot more challenged for space than some of the larger rigs. We have plenty of space for just the 2 of us & the dogs. Food hasn't been issue either, although our longest trip has been 6 days. Maybe a longer trip would present more of an issue.

We rarely go out to eat because we usually have the dogs and never leave them alone in the trailer. DW doesn't mind because her hobby is cooking so she loves nothing more than whipping up a gourmet meal on the trailer. I am sometimes assigned sous chef duties but mostly my job is to stay of her way.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas newbie View Post
We also will go out to eat,locally, especially if we are out “sight-seeing”; but since I never know if plans will change, I “ over” prepare for the possibility!
I tend to do the same when it come to possible 'repairs' that may be needed along the way. Extra repair materials, more tools than have ever used, spare pre-packed wheel bearings, sealent, misc. hardware, gasoline, road flares, tow strap, jumper cables, etc. inclusive of two spare camper tires although have never had a need for either. I'd call it my 'extra insurance package.'
Old 01-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #11

Just found a drawer tower at Walmart yesterday that should fit in the closet close to the entrance door. Best part? They lock like the bigger storage totes, so no need to worry about contents falling out during travel or when opening the door of the closet! Only $10.00 for 4 drawers! Won’t know if they’ll fit in the space until it warms up and can actually get into the camper, but, figured I could use them somewhere else in the camper or house (they also have detachable wheels) if need to!
Old 01-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #12

I love Eagle's idea that he should just haul some more stuff

We have a toy hauler so no dinette storage. I added pull out shelves to the hanging locker and the pantry closet, both of which are too narrow and too deep to make access easy. We have totes under the forward bed and boxes under the one remaining gaucho/couch. I removed the other and replaced it with chairs but built a "bookcase" for boxes along that wall. The big space, though, is the 60"x80" platform of the HappiJac bed in the back--we don't need the bed. It's thin but great storage space that "disappears" at the touch of a button. I use a truck bed net to keep stuff from ending up at the front of the trailer.
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:50 PM   #13

When we took out our unused fold-down bunk bed, we replaced it with a cargo net to hold our bedding -- in this blog post (below) I have a few photos of this simple storage project:

https://lookmomimcamping.blogspot.co...and-light.html
Old 01-24-2021, 05:27 PM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPuffin View Post
I love Eagle's idea that he should just haul some more stuff

We have a toy hauler so no dinette storage. I added pull out shelves to the hanging locker and the pantry closet, both of which are too narrow and too deep to make access easy. We have totes under the forward bed and boxes under the one remaining gaucho/couch. I removed the other and replaced it with chairs but built a "bookcase" for boxes along that wall. The big space, though, is the 60"x80" platform of the HappiJac bed in the back--we don't need the bed. It's thin but great storage space that "disappears" at the touch of a button. I use a truck bed net to keep stuff from ending up at the front of the trailer.
We have never used the rear bed so it's in the 'up' position and holds a rolled up rug for the front of the XT276 - just the right size to fit from the front bed to the entrance to the bath and between the sink/stove top to the edge of the slide out carpeting when slide out is extended.

When parked - the bed is lowered and makes a great place to put our open suitcases for changing clothes and toiletries bags so don't have to dig thru to find anything.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:12 AM   #15

At some point-when “grands” are too big for upper bunk, I’d love to take it out, probably add a couple of storage shelves-but not all the way across. Reason? So DH can get up without hitting his head!
Old 03-23-2021, 08:16 AM   #16

Storage needs vary from person to person and the kind of camping, boondocking to full hookups and all of the variations in between! Currently, we rarely boondock and generally avoid the crowded full hookup parks, leaving the the in between parks as our usual pick. We're also usually camp near enough to "civilization" that if we forgot or need something, we just go buy it. That said, we have made some additions to increase storage capacity. Our x210 has two closets. One near the entrance door and one next to the fridge. We added shelving to the one beside the fridge to hold dishware, Tupperware and other kitchen related stuff that stays in the camper year 'round. The closet near the entrance has a rod for hanging clothing but we generally don't bring that much clothing that needs to be hung up. So, I've hung one of those fabric shoe holders along one side. The result is a stack of "cubbies" about 6"x6"x 14" that, in addition to shoes, can be used to store a variety of items. Another thing we did (that doesn't really increase storage capacity) is install one of those electronic combination "hotel safes" in the compartment above the entryway closet. Certainly not impenetrable security, but another line of defense against those that may try to abscond with valuables while we're away from the camper enjoying the local sights, eating at a local restaurant or out buying something that we forgot to bring ;-(.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:02 PM   #17

^^ Dan and I have to worry about storage because we have the tiny 139!! haha.

I got sooooo much new stuff for the trailer to use for camping... not sure how we're "roughing it" now!! My parents gave me a camping oven for Christmas, and my wife got me a Blackstone side by side griddle/deep fryer.

We also camp in the desert, so we have two canopies... then the bedding, shower bits, clothes, food, pots/pans, plates, outside chairs, tables, an extra propane tank, water buckets... like I said... hardly roughing it.

I have everything collapsed and slid in between the dinette seats, with the new griddle and oven and water up front. Since it's just the two of us we have the rear seats of the Jeep for everything else. I can't access the tailgate with the trailer hooked up, so I never keep that area full of stuff I need during the trip, it's mostly my emergency kits, tools, etc...

Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:25 PM   #18

Anyway... one weight saving tip is to buy firewood local, and find gas stations that have potable water, so you're not towing it with you. I bought a small water transfer pump to fill the tank from my little portable ones.
Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:39 PM   #19

Jeff, people think we are roughing it because we boondock in remote places. In fact, we are smoothing it -- making ourselves as comfortable as we can, given the limitations of camping in a small RV.

Looking at the back of your jeep, I realized that our "auxiliary storage" is in the covered cargo bed of our truck -- we have one of those raised camper shells, exactly like the one in the masthead photo on this website.

So I package all of our extra stuff in easily-labelled plastic tubs, and store them in pre-arranged places in the cargo bed. Then, when we need (for example) more paper goods or canned goods, I go "tub diving" and pull the required tub onto the tailgate.

The required item is retrieved, and then the plastic tub is shoved back into its assigned position.

It is not very difficult or time consuming, once you get your storage system all planned out.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:28 PM   #20

With regard to maximizing storage space, especially with the smaller rigs (but also to larger ones) a caveat that bears mentioning is the avoidance of the “two pounds of $h1t in a one pound bag” syndrome! High density items, i.e. canned goods, liquids (water & fuel), tools, replacement parts, etc. all add to the specific cargo capacity of a given RV. I might add that those high density items (even if you stay within the stated cargo capacity) should “live” in lower areas so that wall and/or ceiling mounted storage areas aren’t ripped away when rough roads are encountered while getting to where you’re going!

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote