Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #1

Default Stuff to buy.....new to trailers

We are new to trailer camping....in fact it has been some time since we camped at all. We are once again amazed at the stuff to buy..some necessary, some nice to have, others we're not sure about.
Falling into the not sure about column are memberships. We received an E-Mail from Campclub USA, offering a one year membership for $39.95 offering half price park fees, among other things.
Any advise about memberships in general, and specifically Campclub USA?

Thanks

Honda Ridgeline
bobandmuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. We have been "RV"ers for over 25 years. Club memberships do come in handy.

Passport America is another option similar to the one you are looking at. They each have restrictions placed by each RV park such as what days available and how many nights you can stay at the lower rate. Check them out online and see if they have campgrounds in the area you will be camping.

It only takes 2 nights at 50% off to get your money back. Pretty good deal.

As for others like TT/NACO, and other membership campgrounds, while we used to have memberships, I did not find them good financially. They may work for you. Just check carefully, they are all online....

Dontexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Site Team

I have no experience with CampClub so can't help you there. I do have memberships with Camping World and Good Sam Club which are affiliated. Camping World is a great source of supplies although not cheap by any means, but if you join you get a 10% discount and they run a lot of specials. It's also handy for me because there's one within a mile of where I work. If you're a Camping World member you can join Good Sam at a discount and their website has lots of info on RV parks with comments and ratings from other members. Be warned though, they will send you lots of junk mail advertising RV insurance.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #4

Don't forget that there is always Walmart for basic items you may need. They are usually cheaper than RV Dealer stores.
Dontexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #5

You have to be careful on a lot of these camping clubs...many have "restrictions" or "black out" dates that you cannot take advantage of their "special pricing". I was a member of Camp Club for two years and never once was able to take advantage of their "50%" off rates. Always the wrong season (some of their camps are only pre-season and post-season) or the wrong day of the week, or too short a stay or too long a stay or doesn't apply to full hook ups...they have quite a list of "not good for" reasons.

The way we travel, "sight seeing", puts us in popular areas for tourism frequently, even the more "out of the way" sights. There are plenty of campgrounds to choose from and they don't need to "give away" half their rates to entice people to come and stay with them so we were never able to take advantage of their discounts.

That being said, many people find the various groups advantageous to the way they camp and do quite well with them. Your best bet is to plan an imaginary trip and then go to one of their websites and look at the member campgrounds and restrictions for the areas you'll be in. That will give you better insight into exactly how they might fit your traveling style.

The only "clubs" that I've ever gotten reliable, day in, day out, discounts from are Good Sam and KOA. We are Good Sam Life members and I've been a KOA member since 1978. The nature of our traveling and the length of time we travel for, and the "every stop" discount that they offer, though it is only 10%, more than pays for the membership fees that we pay, or used to pay, in the case of Good Sam, and I don't have to worry about restrictions.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #6

Thank you all very much.
Honda Ridgeline
Old 01-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #7

Default I'm a camp club member

And I like it. Of course there are restrictions, but all in all it paid for itself many times over.

However, I recently read a comparison of clubs and it looked like Passport had the all same camps as campclub and then some more. I think when I reup I will join Passport.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 AM   #8

Thanks for the tip.
Honda Ridgeline
Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #9

Jim and I found allots of our RV/Camping supplies at Wal-Mart much cheaper then RV Dealerships. But you do have to shop around.

For instance at Wal-Mart. The RV section had a 20 ft Fresh Water Hose for $20.00. Camping Section had the Fresh Water Hose for $9.00.

marigold1953 is offline   Reply With Quote