Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #1

Default The trip to end all trips!

Greetings!! I have not been on the boards for a while, busy at work and getting ready for our big trip back east. A little back ground would be helpful, so here goes...

My youngest son graduated from Basic Training and AIT from the US Army earlier this week. He graduated from the 795th MP, 2nd Battalion Foxtrot Co. and his mom and I decided to take a week off, drive from Phoenix AZ out to Missouri to attend his graduation.

What a trip! Traveling to the Fort went very smoothly, we made great time, had fun and truly enjoyed being out in the country. The best day of my life was this past Wednesday, parents day, when our son was released to us for the day. What a change, he is still the same boy of old, but now with focus, respect and a sense of purpose and pride I have never seen. During the day he took us to the MP Memorial Gardens, where he gave us a tour left his mom and I intears of pride. Seeing my son, whom I would argue with to show his mom and I some respect, stood at parade rest, explaining the memorial, detailing what unit was deployed where, when they were deployed and the accomplishments they achieved was something to behold. It was more than moving, and a day I will cherrish forever.

The return trip was a bit of a test though, and I now question whether I will ever RV full time.

Did you know it rains in Missouri? Really it didn't qualify as rain, it was more akin to the Atlantic ocean being dumped upon the state over a 36 hour period!! Here in AZ we get rain, averaging 7-8 inches a YEAR! Not 6.5 inches in a day and a half! Holy smoke was it wet! And muddy! The trailer leaked around the fridge, the bedroom slideout, a couple windows and the mud from the dogs left the trailer almost a disater zone. In fact the last night of our trip we stayed in a hotel!!

I am doing some research to find out if serious rain does indeed work into trailers or if the AZ sun has possibly warped some seals.
Anyway, thought I would check in and share my story.
Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote