Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #1

Default Thinking about a Fun Finder

So... I have been looking at buying a small TT for some time now and am really leaning toward the Fun Finder X160. I am planning on buying used, I've seen a couple for sale I liked online. The thing I am curious about is how practicle it would be for my situation.

I work out of town 8 days at a time, then I go back home for 7 days off... I am tired of staying in hotels and really feel like a small TT is the way to go. I also want to be able to take my wife and two small children camping from time to time so I like the ability to have up to 6 people in the trailer. Is it very practicle to stay in a small camper for 8 days at a time all year? If I am alone could I stay without hookups for that amount of time?

I've never owned a TT but have always loved the idea of owning one. Any suggestions, advise, etc is greatly appreciated.

cphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Site Team

A lot depends on personal preference. Can you do it, sure. Will you like it, maybe, maybe not.

8 days at time without hookups is certainly doable, but it does present some challenges. Water and propane are fairly easy to conserve. For one person if you're careful with water you should be able to get by. The 160 has a 25 gallon fresh water tank, so that means 3 gallons per day, unless you bring extra water. Do you need air conditioning? If so you're going to need a generator. Then you're going to have to bring enough fuel to keep it running. If not it's a bit easier, but keep in mind you won't have 120V available so no TV and no microwave. And you'll still likely have to recharge the batteries at some point.

So the short answer is yes you can camp without hookups for 8 days. Lots of people do it. But it takes some preparation and practice. The first few times you try it, it may not go as planned. You might want to try some shorter trips with the trailer to get familiar with it before you try 8 days of dry camping. Good luck!

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the response! I think I'll take your advise and try a few short runs and see what I can handle. I hope to make the purchase soon so I'm sure I will be on hear a lot in the near future!

Thanks again!
cphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #4

Default Fun Finder X160

Hi cphillips,

We have a Fun Finder x 214ws (24') we've also have had several other trailers of various sizes. One of the biggest problems you will have along with electricity, is the holding tank capacity of the gray tank (where your shower and sink water goes) If you shower daily, like most people, your gray tank would most likely not handle it.

You may want to consider camping in state, county, or national forest camp grounds which provide, in most cases complete hook-ups at prices well below motels. Another alternative would be to join a club like Passport America which offers 50% discounted prices again below motel rates.

Between the two options, with a little planning, you should be able to get full hook-ups at a great price and with very little inconvenience.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Alan Murray
alan2544 is offline   Reply With Quote