Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Fun Finder Community
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2016, 07:19 AM   #1

Default Towing speed limit

From all I've heard and read, every ST tire on campers has a 65 mile per hour speed limit rating.

However, on recent outings, it has been noted a vast majority of RV'er pulling 5th wheel or bumper pull campers travel the highways at 70 - 75 and some even 80 mph on the interstates.

There is alot of controversy on brands of ST tires being the best. However many rate Maxxis brand at the top and even those have a speed rating of 65 mph as recommended by the mfg.

Apparently, many are not aware of the tire speed rating, in a hurry or maybe just don't care. ?

I set the cruise when traveling with my toy hauler at 65 MPH max.

Comments welcome?

Old 08-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #2

I hold it at 62. 55 is the legal limit in Calif for towing. I often see folks towing at 70, even in the desert heat. Too risky for me.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:46 AM   #3
Site Team

There are some ST tires out there with higher speed ratings. Also a lot of people switch to LT tires (not trying to start the LT/ST debate here) which are rated for higher speeds. You're probably right Eagle, I bet a lot of people have no idea what their tire speed rating is.

Personally I just keep it between 60 & 65, which can be a challenge sometimes given Arizona freeway speeds are 75, meaning most of the cars/trucks are going 85.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

LJAZ ~ the interstate speed limit here is 80 MPH ..... frequently ignored by most. 2 lane highways are 65 MPH.

I've only found one mfg that puts LT tires on their units from the factory....all others install ST tires.

I believe most don't know the speed rating of the ST tires as I didn't because that aspect was never mentioned by the dealership and had over 300 miles to tow the new unit home and ran along at 75 most of the way on that drive.
:-O
Old 08-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #5

I fit commercial LT tires to my funfinder that have a much higher speed rating, but still, I tow at 58 to 60 most of the time. I'm in no hurry when traveling with the travel trailer.

If I wanted to "hurry" to get someplace, I would go back to flying to destinations like I did in my working years.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
LJAZ ~ the interstate speed limit here is 80 MPH ..... frequently ignored by most. 2 lane highways are 65 MPH.

I've only found one mfg that puts LT tires on their units from the factory....all others install ST tires.

I believe most don't know the speed rating of the ST tires as I didn't because that aspect was never mentioned by the dealership and had over 300 miles to tow the new unit home and ran along at 75 most of the way on that drive.
:-O
Hi Eagle,
Glad your trip went well and you had a great time!!

Ditto on the speed, I run at 65 max; I have gone above that on occasion, but not much and bring it back down... I also frequently see individuals exceeding 65 by 10 and 20 mph and I feel that pulling a trailer at those speeds is just plain dangerous...

In the recent Sept. '16 issue of Trailer Life magazine, a great article on Maxxis ST Trailer tires was published. The magazine article quoted Maxxis as saying, "While the tires [Maxxis] are engineered to run faster than 80 mph, the company limits its speed rating to 65 mph, in accordance with the Tire and Rim Association. Exhaustive testing assures confidence in safety, but should not be considered a free ticket to pull a trailer faster than 65 mph. Traveling at greater speeds is unsafe and not encouraged."

I watched a driver lose control of an Airstream once; the driver looked to have swerved and the trailer went into a whip, once the whip reached it's limit, the trailer rolled, breaking lose from the pick-up and rolled like a huge silver sausage down the median. The trailer miraculously did not hit any vehicles, the pick-up didn't roll, and fortunately, no one was physically injured...

Food for thought: A 2,000 mile (non-stop) trip, travelling at 65 mph, would take approx. 30.8 hr. Traveling that same 2,000 mile trip (again, non-stop) at 75 mph, would now take approx. 26.7 hr. Frankly, believing that I might be saving a whole 4 hours over a three to four day trip, is just not worth the chance of losing my trailer and maybe even injuring or killing someone in the process!

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #7

By the way, my Dad had a garage and wrecker service when I was in High School. On weekends and breaks from school, I stayed at the shop and went with Dad on many wrecker calls. If any of you ever listened to a child crying in the wreck of a vehicle, well... I'll stop here...

Old 08-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #8

Default Yep 65mph

So-from everything I've read and researched, you are correct. 65mph is the "maximum" speed rating of most, if not all ST-rated trailer tires.
It is the heat (mostly caused by prolonged period of speeds above 65mph) that seems to result in tire failures. And you can bet that the temperature (weather related) adds to that.
Yes-I've towed at speeds above 65mph. But I don't act surprised if I shorten tire life.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
However, on recent outings, it has been noted a vast majority of RV'er pulling 5th wheel or bumper pull campers travel the highways at 70 - 75 and some even 80 mph on the interstates.
People who tow fast like that are fools...plain and simple. It is not how fast you can go that counts but how fast you can stop. Trailers can seem so stable most of the time, but they are not. A trailer can go out of control in a split second and the faster you are travelling, the less likely you can recover.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:50 AM   #10

John_C
Yes, I read the same tire article in the Sept. issue of Trailer Life magazine just the other day too.
Pulling a trailer in excess of 65 due to tire speed rating or not can be unsafe which is why truck speeds are regulated lower than other vehicle speed limits.

Safe travels to all.

BTW: When it comes time to put on new tires, Maxxis brand will be my choice.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #11
APD

Talking

We "two-lane" it. It's a more relaxing way to get there. I think it's a lot safer too. Takes a little planning sometimes but is so worth it! We started doing this when I retired and have loved it. The small towns, old general stores, little mom-n-pop country cafes and people we meet have made the journeys as much fun as the destinations.
Roadside produce stands, little junk shops and those great small town city parks......we'll only travel the big roads if there's a good reason and never when towing. (Sometimes I meet people who won't stop listening to me long enough for me to get away!)
Anyway....So our speeds stay at around 50 to 55 tops most all the time. If we see we're holding up traffic we'll pull off and let 'em hurry on.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
We "two-lane" it. ......snip....

.....and those great small town city parks......
Yep, I've traveled also by motorcycle for decades, usually two lane roads, and small town city parks are the best, most relaxing places on the road to take a rest break. Stopping in them to eat a sandwich for lunch is the great. Much better than an interstate highway rest area.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:57 PM   #13

We also prefer the two lanes for all of the reasons you mentioned APD. The scenery is so much better and you don't mix it up with the distracted speed demons that way.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #14

APD We "two-lane" it. It's a more relaxing way to get there. I think it's a lot safer too....
Michigantraveler We also prefer the two lanes for all of the reasons you mentioned APD...
Hi APD and Mich...
We also prefer the two-lane roads, but everyone, please stay alert and watch for the other drivers, especially the one coming at you in your lane or the nuts driving or passing and decide to cut in before they completely clear your vehicle...
I frequently program the GPS to avoid freeways and as you all, enjoy the little towns and shops...

We had a driver last year, while driving on the more narrow MN-23 with steep shoulder drop-offs, cross over and almost hit us head on!!! If I hadn't swerved, we would probably be pushing up daisies; AND thank goodness the truck's suspension and weight allowed me to control the trailer or we would have rolled the trailer in the right bar-ditch... I worry about folks that use a TV that's marginal or 'just enough' to tow the trailer, I believe that emergency situations call for a margin of safety...

Old 08-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #15

I've got to slow down....
seismo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #16

I travel alot of 2 lane highways because the closest 4 lane interstate highway is some 100 miles away .... east or north and 150 to the south. West .. is Montana and Wyoming and that's alot of unoccupied open country!

Old 08-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
We "two-lane" it. It's a more relaxing way to get there. I think it's a lot safer too. Takes a little planning sometimes but is so worth it! We started doing this when I retired and have loved it. The small towns, old general stores, little mom-n-pop country cafes and people we meet have made the journeys as much fun as the destinations.
Roadside produce stands, little junk shops and those great small town city parks......we'll only travel the big roads if there's a good reason and never when towing. (Sometimes I meet people who won't stop listening to me long enough for me to get away!)
Anyway....So our speeds stay at around 50 to 55 tops most all the time. If we see we're holding up traffic we'll pull off and let 'em hurry on.
Ditto the side road gig!!
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #18
APD

Talking Weekday vs weekend travel

I try to maintain a "safety zone" in front of Big Blue when towing. As John said, other drives will sometimes pass and almost clip the left front either out of carelessness or inexperience.
The biggest thing that controls our speed is not the posted limit but conditions. How wide is the road, how far ahead can I see, is that a crossroads ahead? People will (and do) pull out in front of you no matter what size you are.....
When we're trip planning we allow for 40 MPH average. This allows for stopping for fuel, bathroom breaks and those all important "leg stretching" stops. The latter usually occurs when we see something interesting on the roadside....
Another thing that can affect safety is the day of the week. I don't have data handy to prove so but, I believe traveling on weekdays is a lot safer. I know it's less stressful and more fun.

Edit: BTW, about 265 to 275 miles a day (or less) is our usual. 300 miles in one day is the very limit for us. Probably not enough for most folks.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #19

Absolutely APD... I believe that some of the folks on the road have actually forgotten to slow down and smell the roses...

In my younger days, I can remember driving 800 or more miles a day, but not anymore. I have spent my entire adult life traveling for others all over the world and I now travel to enjoy this beautiful country we call USA. I am now retired and no longer concerned with, nor do I have any schedules to keep!!!!

I travel at a speed I call "relaxed" anymore and still have more places to see... rushing just obscures the beauty...

Old 08-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #20

Just a quick thought...
For all of those that drive faster than I, and pass my blue Silverado (with a matching wing on top), towing a XT-190 Xtra FF down the road at an old timer's "relaxed" 65 mph, just toot your horn, smile, and wave as you pass me... If I catch up at the next stop, I will gladly enjoy a cup of coffee and a handshake with you