Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #1

Default Trailer covers?

What kind of trailer cover do you recommend for a 2012 Fun Finder 210 UDS? Hopefully I can find a good one, that's easy enough to put on and can handle the wind.

ZZSPIRAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Site Team

I've never actually used one myself, but one of the bigger cover manufacturer's is ADCO.

http://www.adcoprod.com/

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #3

Default ADCO TYVEK

I have used the ADCO SPS covers for 2 TTs and they do very well, but I just got one for our new 214 and got the Tyvek cover. I got one on clearance straight from ADCO on line ... they did not have the one for this trailer, but I picked up one for a 21-24 ft Toy Hauler for about $150, about 1/2 price. They do last well and protect your TT well. Perhaps most important, they do allow moisture to evaporate, not holding it in. So as long as you have moisture absorbers inside the TT as well, you'll never have a moisture issue.

If you can't get what you want from ADCO, I suggest JC Whitney, they have routinely out priced others, especially Camping World, and they will usually guaranty low price.

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
fischnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #4

I also have a "breatheable" ADCO TT cover. I have not used this before, but planned to cover the TT to protect from possible moisture infiltration during the winter. However, I have noticed that in our storage facility there are very few trailers sitting in the open which are covered, even though winter is approaching. We get 50 mph sustained winds up here in Washington either from the W or WSW and the NE when there is a cold "Frasier" out of Canada. We also have the possibility of snow which may last a few days. As further comment to this post, I have the following questions and comments for this forum.
*I have the TT sloped to one corner to drain off rain, but do you have to worry about this cover pooling water especially if melting snow is piled up against the AC and vents? I think this might be a problem even if the top was initially pulled tight.
*With heavy wind, will the vents and other roof projections tend to tear through the cover? One thought would be to cover these with plastic storage crates and drape the cover over the top of the crates. This may also help shed the water.
*Some have said that if the TT is not provided with or has a ladder as an option, that one should be very careful walking on the roof. I conducted the roof inspection from the TT edges using a good sized ladder. We didn't have any 1/4" plywood panel to lay on top, but I would guess this would be in order.
Any replys would be appreciated.
westysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #5

"westysplace" <"I also have a "breatheable" ADCO TT cover. I have not used this before, but planned to cover the TT to protect from possible moisture infiltration during the winter. However, I have noticed that in our storage facility there are very few trailers sitting in the open which are covered, even though winter is approaching. We get 50 mph sustained winds up here in Washington either from the W or WSW and the NE when there is a cold "Frasier" out of Canada. We also have the possibility of snow which may last a few days. As further comment to this post, I have the following questions and comments for this forum.">

We also get some good wind here in Idaho, but may be more protected in our neighborhood. Our TT sits in our driveway. But we do get some good 30-40mph winds here that bend the trees! Our cover has always held well. Snow is also and issue, both for 'matting down' the cover and for melt/refreeze situations, so I have always removed major (6"+) snow from the TT with a broom or rake. I do make the cover snug, but not tight, allowing it to move but not 'billow' in the wind.

I think the reason you don't see many covers is that most folks just don't bother to cover their TTs, no matter where they are.

"westysplace"<*I have the TT sloped to one corner to drain off rain, but do you have to worry about this cover pooling water especially if melting snow is piled up against the AC and vents? I think this might be a problem even if the top was initially pulled tight.>

I have always sloped to one side and forward or backward to aid runoff potential, and that worked well. My previous TT, a Trailmanor, had a lot of humps and bumps on the roof that really created the problems you note around the AC, vents, Winegard, etc., so you are right about that. I ended up making a PVC domed frame that set on the roof over all the above that allowed me to just pull snow off, and any rain ( we get a lot in winter too) just ran right off. Puddlingis a problem especially if you get rain then freezing temps, then snow! This year a I guess I'll see what I need to do!

"westysplace"<*With heavy wind, will the vents and other roof projections tend to tear through the cover? One thought would be to cover these with plastic storage crates and drape the cover over the top of the crates. This may also help shed the water.>

I never had any issues with the vents or AC cover creating wear spots/holes in the cover. As long as edges are smooth and reasonably 'rounded', the cover holds up well, unless you have it very snug against that spot. The crate idea is one I tried (though with a kind of plasticized cardboard box) that just aggravated the problem by making the vent and Winegard projections higher, so had MORE bumps! Other projections, such as the rather 'pointy' downspout projections at roof edges, would need to be covered with something blunt, perhaps some old memory foam or similar?

"westysplace"<*Some have said that if the TT is not provided with or has a ladder as an option, that one should be very careful walking on the roof. I conducted the roof inspection from the TT edges using a good sized ladder. We didn't have any 1/4" plywood panel to lay on top, but I would guess this would be in order.>

I've always had aluminum roofs, but the Trailmanor did not support a lot of pinpoint weight, so needed plywood to support walking. I talked with our dealer service techs a lot about the roof because I was nervous about the rubber. They said not to worry about walking on it, just with clean shoes and no twisting, scuffing or dragging. I'm ultra careful walking on my house roof so as to protect the asphalt shingles, so figure I'll treat this rubber roof the same, only be more sure I don't have any 'edgy' sharp objects in my shoes! I think adding plywood might add some sharp, edgy material between your weight and the rubber and might not be good!

Good luck, hope my rambling helps!

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
fischnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #6

Fischnet,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with RV covers here in the far north! We'll be hunkering down for the winter soon. Best Regards.

westysplace is offline   Reply With Quote