Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #1

Default Trip to Glacier National Park planned for 3 years and now

there is a huge fire burning in the Park on the East side. Campground near St. Marys evacuated. Last read this AM, the Road to the Sun has been closed on the east side too.

Well ....... we have our reservations on the west side ... but unless the fire is out by the time we plan to be there, may have to explore alternatives.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #2

Eagle,

One thing to take into consideration from our experience last summer in Washington State while they were fighting fires in certain areas is that much of the secondary work such as putting up new telephone poles clogs vital arteries and traffic log jams ensue especially from road closures. We had found a park that just opened that morning due to road closure and felt gratefull for a nice spot. However, when the afternoon winds shifted, we were exposed to ash fall out comparable to a snowfall. My personal preference is stay clear of major fire areas.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #3

Yes, we are looking at alternatives as most of the Highway to the Sun road is closed .. from Avalanche to St. Marys - the most scenic part.

If a change is made, will lose one night reservation fee at the campground in Kalispell but ............that's life.

May spend more time in Yellowstone, Casper Wyo, and the Grand Teton area and south of the Tetons check the area out.

May also spend some days in the Black Hills - Sturgis for the annual Motorcycle Rally that draws people from all over the world. Crowd expected to exceed 1 million riders this year....75th Anniversary. It has really grown since my first time for the rally around 1963 when it only filled 1/2 block of main street in front of Gunners Bar.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #4

Well, we decided to come anyway.

Having a great trip and no problems.

The Sun road isn't fully open yet but what the heck .. can't always have everything perfect.

Flathead lake is really huge ..... and staying a stones throw from the Flat Head River now.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

We need pictures for proof

Old 08-04-2015, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels with Yoly
We need pictures for proof
Yup .. figured that.

Been taking some pics along the way and will post them .. well will have to have the wife post them or link to them 'cause I'm no computer person.

It will be several weeks tho as don't have the cords or whatever is needed to do that with.