Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Fun Finder Community
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2021, 11:11 PM   #1

Default TV antenna question. Any suggestions on what small tv to buy for FunFinder 13

I have a 07 FunFinder13 and it has a functional antenna that you raise and lower with a turn knob in cabinet above fridge. I can’t make it pick up any channels and I’m wondering if it’s supposed to be connected via the coax nipple on wall or is that just for “cable” hook up. So how do you connect the antenna to the tv? Also, it’s an old tv that’s connected to a stereo CD player which can play cd movies. We really would like to buy/install some tv (maybe smart tv?) that can be connected to phone or MacBook to hotspot things like Netflix or streaming. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Mountbaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
Site Team

Yup, you need a coax cable running from that outlet to the TV. There is also likely some sort of button or switch near the coax outlet that turns on an amplifier to boost the signal.

Any smart TV of the appropriate size will work. The challenge might be finding one small enough to fit your space.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:35 AM   #3

Watch out for that little antenna power button -- it is easy to leave it on and drain your battery. Don't ask how I know this.

The power button has a little red light, but it is hard to see in the daytime.

I installed a small plastic collar around the power switch, to prevent me from turning it on by accident.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:55 PM   #4

For the most part, we don't watch too much, if any, TV while camping. We do have a small (15" maybe 17") flat screen TV that has been used on occasion. I've used it at parks that have cable hookups (not our usual stops). There must be a splitter that connects the input from both the roof top antenna and the coax plug on the "service" side of the camper, since when connected from the camper to the park's PEG then to the TV via the coax plug inside the camper, channels are available. I've never used the roof top antenna but have used the "magic/miracle" HD antennas (As Seen On TV)! If camping relatively near a metro areas, I've gotten decent reception with it. I've not tried this setup in remote locales tho, so YMMV.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:14 PM   #5

Once you have the TV and antenna setup, you might have to do a channel search. It takes a few minutes for the TV to cycle through everything and pick up the stations' signals. When I had a TV I had to do it each time I took her out. Where I camp there's not much signal, so I had a small TV/DVD combo and just popped in Star Wars or something when it was raining out... I got it at Best Buy, but you can find them for under $150 at Walmart, Amazon, Best Buy, etc...
Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:11 AM   #6
Site Team

I have a free app on my phone called TV antenna helper that will find the TV stations nearby. It tells you how strong the signal is the direction of the channel. It comes in handy when it shows there aren't any strong signals in the area so there's no point in fussing with the antenna.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote