Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #1

Default URGENT! Is An Equalizer Hitch Necessary?

I'm purchasing a 2010 Fun Finder X-189 FDS to be towed by my late model Toyota 4 Runner. The dealer is strongly recommending I buy an equalizer hitch ($700. installed - ouch!). Says if I don't buy, I'll have to sign a statement that they recommended it and I refused (to relieve them of liability). Apparently, the previous owner didn't need one. Would appreciate
feedback ASAP. Thanks.

Andrew Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #2

When I brought my 189FDS home from the dealer in November behind my '06 Frontier, I towed it just "on the ball". So I have about 650 miles of experience towing it without the WD hitch. The selling dealer did not sell the brand I wanted ( Blue Ox ). After I got home, I ordered the Blue Ox and installed it, and have since towed close to 1500 miles with it. There is a very large difference in the way the rig handles. I don't want to overstate it, but let's just say without the WD hitch, I really had to pay attention to it. Some of the overall safety of this may also depend on how much experience you have towing. Not trying to say I'm an expert, but I have towed various trailers for over 40 years, and routinely tow horse trailers behind either my Nissan or a F350 Ford. So, I pretty much know what things feel like when they are getting a little sketchy, if you see what I mean.

I'm not trying to scare you, but I would say that yes, you need a WD hitch with that tow vehicle, and also consider the idea of anti-sway. The hitch I chose has sway control "built in", so I did not have to purchase and deal with an additional piece to get that feature. I would suggest to you or anybody else for that matter to really do your homework on the whole issue of WD and sway control. They really are two separate issues. In other words, let's say you were towing a small, light trailer....maybe 2000 or 2500 pounds behind a one ton dually. You really would not need WD, but you could still have a sway problem. Separate issues.

As for the dealer requiring you to sign a waiver saying you are pulling off their lot without a WD hitch, that's just standard procedure for them being driven by their legal department. My selling dealer had me sign that exact document. I had no problem signing it, because I knew what I was getting into, and I'm not the kind of person that would sue them if I go out there and make a mistake and have an accident. I'm sure you can see where they are coming from.

If I can help you with any more comments or photos of my setup, let me know. And have fun with the new trailer !

george

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #3

with your current tow vehicle, I would definitely get the Equalizer hitch. I have the 10,000 lb version and pull my 200xt toyhauler with a GMC Envoy. The hitch greatly reduces any swaying and helps keep my Envoy level.....
Old 01-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #4

Something else to consider is changing the rear shocks on the Toyota. Depending on mileage, they may be past their prime, and to be honest, most OE shocks on the rear especially tend to be pretty weak. I put Monroe "reflex, light truck shocks" on the back of the Frontier, and they are a huge improvement over what came on it from the factory.

You probably already know this, but you will also need a brake controller for the trailer brakes. I use a Prodigy in the Nissan, but there are other brands as well. Needless to say, it will be good to have a complete understanding of how the brake controller works, and how to get it adjusted properly for your combination.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #5

Default Rip-off

First of all, get an equalizer. I tow a 210 UDS with a full size Tundra and I use one with 800 lb. bars.

Second, get a sway bar. These help control your trailer in the wind and around curves.

Third, buy these items on-line. I purchased a Camco Eaz-lift hitch and a sway bar for under $300.

Fourth, whatever you do, don't have it installed by Happy Daze RV in Sacramento (Ha!). They'll do it incorrectly and then claim to have not had your vehicle when it was installed. That's just a small sample of the type of "service" I received from them. It was their way of thanking me for buying a 2nd brand new trailer from them. Amazing how things change over a 3-4 year period. There won't be a 3rd trailer.
ZZSPIRAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #6

Sadly, I have heard over and over that dealers often do a poor job of setting up WD hitches. I does take a little time and some measuring. I set mine up myself, then towed a short trip with it, then came back to a slightly different parking spot that I also found to be nicely level, and double checked my measurements. I came up with numbers that I believe are correct, however, to make sure, I am going to drive the rig up to the factory ( Blue Ox ) where the hitch is built and have them double check my work. I emailed them and they told me they would gladly look it over for me. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a little !
Old 02-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #7

They didn't even try to do it right. I even had to ask them to install the saddle mounts onto the tongue of the trailer. It wasn't until I brought the trailer back (for warranty work) that I realized the hitch wasn't installed correctly. There was absolutely no weight on the spring bars, because the hitch was at least 4" too high. That means they didn't try.

Then the manager had the balls to say "I understand they didn't have your vehicle to install the hitch"................Right, because I PICKED THE TRAILER UP WITH A HAND CART. I guess that was their way of saying "we charged you for something we didn't do". Apparantly that's better than admitting "we screwed it up because we don't give a damn, we're overpaid and our organization sucks".

They're just trying to avoid liability. They gave me my money back, but they've given me nothing but grief. Again, this was their way of thanking me for buying a second brand new trailer from them within the last 4 1/2 years.

ZZSPIRAL is offline   Reply With Quote