Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2020, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Useless/unused options that came on your unit

I have a few items that came on my XT276 that are useless to me.

1. The exterior speakers. Have never used them & only tested them once to see if they actually functioned.

2. The outside shower. Simply a PITA to winterize/de-winterize annually. A totally useless plumbing fixture IMO.

3. The radio - never listen to radio. I have used the DVD player that is built into the radio a few times so just a DVD player would have been fine.

4. The sewer hose tube under the camper contained a section of cheap sewer hose but is so small in diameter, it will not hold the hose ends when attached to the hose.

5. The plastic center 'hub caps' that cover the lug nuts are so chinzy the clips broke quickly and one came off when going over a bump. Removed those remaining & trashed them.

6. The pair of 'flood lights' on the rear of the toy hauler - never used them.

Just a few observations for conversation. However, overall I'm pleased with the unit for the $$ investment made.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Here's my take:
#1 I use those all the time. Listen to CD's during outside adult beverage hour.
#2 Thought this would be great, but I've never used it. At least I don't have to winterize.
#3 Have used the radio a few times, but mostly CDs/DVDs. Usually can't even get a radio station.
#4 That holder fit the cheapo starter kit sewer hose OK, but I bought a good Rhinoflex sewer hose that wouldn't fit so have never used it. I think the cheapo hose is still inside.
#5 & #6 Guess mine didn't come with those options.

I would add the tv mount installed in the outside storage compartment - have never used that

The grill that attaches to the side. I used it once and it took forever to cook a steak, It's been sitting on a shelf in the garage ever since.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:19 AM   #3

LJAZ .. After one use of the cheap factory hose, got a good Rhinoflex sewer hose too. The factory hose is still in the tube.

Forgot about the exterior TV mount as have never used it either.

As for the external speakers, I hear more than enough noise people blast from their car radios/CD's that I would never subject others in a campground to suffer from such noise pollution.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:35 PM   #4

My 2012 X139 (a very small trailer) came with a very large vanity/makeup area on the back wall, with a big mirror, side-lights, a counter, and a makeup drawer.

DW (who does not wear makeup) saw the setup and said, "Great! Rip it all out and put in storage."

So I did! The whole rear wall is now wall to wall cabinets, made mostly of quarter inch Baltic birch plywood.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:16 AM   #5
Site Team

Eagle, our load music days are way back in the rear view mirror. We keep the volume down so we are the only ones who can hear the music. I've checked so I know once you walk 25 or so feet away you can't hear it.

Now people in other campsites OTOH aren't always as courteous.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #6

I personally will never understand an outside TV...

Inside is one thing, I get it. I used to have one in my old Winnebago and it was nice to watch movies when it was raining. But an outside TV seems weird, especially if you have other campers nearby.

I'm glad to have an outside shower. Beats lugging around my portable propane shower. We even used it a few months back, it was nice. I tried using the one in the potty... no go, it was way too small.

We haven't put a TV in our Fun Finder yet... it's on the back burner, but it is something we think about. I like that it's already wired up for one, even have an antenna already built in.
Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
Eagle, our load music days are way back in the rear view mirror. We keep the volume down so we are the only ones who can hear the music. I've checked so I know once you walk 25 or so feet away you can't hear it.

Now people in other campsites OTOH aren't always as courteous.
Like you, there are good people who respects others rights .......and sadly those slobs who only are concerned with what they want.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #8

Default unused options

1. We keep our xt276 on a seasonal site with a covered deck, so yep we use the outside speakers.
2. Haven't used it lately but did when we camped on the beach at Lake Michigan, kept us from tracking sand in.
3. There is a good station we listen to near our campground.
4. yep useless.
5. don't have.
6. We sometimes drop the ramp to horizontal and use it as a deck, so deck lighting.
7. outside TV mount works with the covered deck.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #9

Mostly agree except the outside shower is great for getting the wilderness off the dog
Old 10-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #10

1. The exterior speakers. My interior speakers don't seem to work and I've never bothered to diagnose it so we use the outdoor speakers when we want to listen inside. Fortunately, no neighbors. Never used the exterior TV mount, either.

2. Don't have an outside shower on the FunFinder but I do on the S&B. It's nice when jumping back out of the canal or for hosing off after working up a sweat on the camper.

3. I do listen to the radio occasionally. See (1) above.

4. Didn't get a sewer hose tube so I have to carry the slinky in a plastic tub in the forward stowage compartment (under the bed). Ewww.

6. I use the "flood lights" whenever I back into a space at night, sometimes even in the daytime. And since we have been known to carry cargo for this house building project in the Funfinder, those lights are great for loading. It would be smart to change them to LEDs for less battery drain, though.

7. I took out one of the two gauchos and replaced it with chairs.
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #11

For those who say the use the outside shower ... I don't know about yours but I can pizz faster than it puts out water. And I did pull the shower box outside, no the lines are not kinked but water pressure inside in the sinks/toilet/shower/tub is just fine.
No matter, have no use for it anyway.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #12

I enjoyed this thread. It shows why a lot of the items are included. We use almost all those Eagle listed, some frequently, others less so. I really like the outside shower, for dog washing, and cleaning up before going inside, and find the pressure lacking, even put in a new one to no avail and no kinks. I could do w/o a TV but I’m in the minority. Used to watch football outside, but have quit, for obvious reasons. Happy camping. We’re leaving Petersburg COE Mon to go to the SC foothills for 2 weeks. Beautiful time of year.
Gerald Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #13

We have a 2009 X139 and for us it was:

-The heater since we live in South Florida. Worst case scenario we would get a small room heater. We replaced the square with a storage crate on rails.

- The radio was old school so we replaced it with a car radio with a screen.

-Next to the car radio there was this small mirror that had some sort of weird film that you couldn't even see anything. For such a small space, we ended up making a frame out of wood and that's where we have our first camping trip photo.

-We wish the outside speakers worked but they are shot. We just used a small Bluetooth speaker.
yselio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:48 PM   #14

Another item that came on my unit I've never used is the toy lock. It's a cable on a self rewinding reel located under the camper.

Instead, I use a cable with a LOUD 120 DB built in alarm that sounds if the cable is cut. Work great to secure my Honda 2000i gen sets.
https://store.lockalarm.com/
Old 10-19-2020, 03:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Miller View Post
I enjoyed this thread. It shows why a lot of the items are included. We use almost all those Eagle listed, some frequently, others less so. I really like the outside shower, for dog washing, and cleaning up before going inside, and find the pressure lacking, even put in a new one to no avail and no kinks. I could do w/o a TV but I’m in the minority. Used to watch football outside, but have quit, for obvious reasons. Happy camping. We’re leaving Petersburg COE Mon to go to the SC foothills for 2 weeks. Beautiful time of year.
Just returned from Devils Fork State Park in SC. The leaves were just starting to turn.
Larry44w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I have a few items that came on my XT276 that are useless to me.

1. The exterior speakers. Have never used them & only tested them once to see if they actually functioned.

2. The outside shower. Simply a PITA to winterize/de-winterize annually. A totally useless plumbing fixture IMO.

3. The radio - never listen to radio. I have used the DVD player that is built into the radio a few times so just a DVD player would have been fine.

4. The sewer hose tube under the camper contained a section of cheap sewer hose but is so small in diameter, it will not hold the hose ends when attached to the hose.

5. The plastic center 'hub caps' that cover the lug nuts are so chinzy the clips broke quickly and one came off when going over a bump. Removed those remaining & trashed them.

6. The pair of 'flood lights' on the rear of the toy hauler - never used them.

Just a few observations for conversation. However, overall I'm pleased with the unit for the $$ investment made.
This post is only a little bit "old" and since the "camping season" for most, is getting ready to start, I thought "revival" was appropriate.

1)- I've many times used the exterior speakers during our evening "wine & cheese Happy Hour"! Sometimes, the local PBS station will have some nice easy listening music but absent that, we often have some favorite CDs along with us on our trips.

2)- don't have the outside shower option. Actually, have never used the inside one!! Generally camp at parks that have restroom with shower facilities. I agree, that winterizing its plumbing might be an issue.

3)- See #1 above, use the radio frequently. Not always for music but sometimes local news and weather.

4)- I definitely agree that the OEM waste drain hose is worthless as is its too short storage compartment.

5)- Never had an issue with the "plastic center" hub caps. Don't give them much thought at all!

6)- Don't have rear flood lights (not having a "toy hauler") but might think that they could come in handy if backing into a site in poor light.

Generally speaking and with exception of the waste drainage tubing, our '07 x210 doesn't have worthless features. Are there things that I wish I had, sure, but that wasn't the subject of the thread!

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:07 PM   #17

RipVan. Isn't that the nice thing about life. Some have use for some items and some do not. It would be a boring world is everyone liked or disliked that same thing!
Have fun!
Old 03-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #18

I've constructed an outside shower stall, much more room for my big butt! PVC pipe friction-fitted together that can collapse into 3 foot sections. We also use it to clean off the dogs. We love it.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:01 PM   #19

Xerofall ... apparently your outside shower faucet puts out alot more water than mine. It would take 1/2 a day to shower with it. And I have pulled out the "insert" and checked behind to be assured the lines are not kinked or restricted which they are not. Maybe the issue is in the spray head but no interest in checking it as not used anyway.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #20

Yeah, it's no where near the pressure at home, but for camping, it's okay. Might be the size too, not much pipe to pump the water through on my little 139...