Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #1

Default Water Pump

This is the first time we’ve used water pump in our 21 RB. Fresh water tank filled and pump switch is on. We get poor water pressure and lots of air in the lines. Also pump tends to run for 30 seconds or so after we close the taps. Any idea what we’re doing wrong?

Dragonflly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #2

Do you have an accumulator? If so, it may not be properly pressurized -- it easy to re-pressurize with a bike pump or a compressor (take it easy!). My little Shurflo needs 29 PSI to work properly -- when it is depressurized, it does just what you have described. I pump it back up to 29 before each trip.

If you do NOT have an accumulator, it sounds like you should get one! They smooth out the operation of the pump, saving electricity in the process. I installed ours next to the pump, under the dinette seat. Big improvement (except when it loses pressure . . . .).

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip. I don’t know what an accumulator is. Can you tell me more? Thank you.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #4

This is an example (see link below) -- mine might be even smaller than this. It is a little tank that fills with water from the pump. You turn on the faucet, and the water (under pressure) flows out of the tank, without triggering the pump. The pump runs when the little tank gets empty. It cuts down on the pump noise and the usage of electricity.

And installation is pretty easy -- the fittings just screw on. Let me know if you need more info on this!

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-181-2...A2T4X6GU3B0ZWT
Old 08-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #5

Sounds like pretty normal behavior for an RV water pump. I just live with it. Although I've researched the whole to get an accumulator or not. I did just replace my pump and lined the space it's in with foam board. It is quieter, but not silent.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:52 PM   #6

Quiet is good, but silent is not good -- how will you know when you run out of water and the pump is running dry? The hum alerted me to this problem!!
Old 08-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #7

Thanks everyone, we’re going to take it in to the dealership and have them look at it. We have extended warranty so hopefully it’s covered.