Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #1

Default Weight tolerance for Spare Tire holder

Anyone out there know how much weight we can carry in addition to the spare wheel and tire? Would like to attach a bike rack, but don't know how much weight it will carry. Anyone help?????

flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #2

I'd be very leary of hanging a couple bikes off the back. Just go to the back of your trailer and give the spare tire a shake.. now imagine adding ~100lbs onto that. One thing to remember is anything at the back of a trailer will get bounced around alot harder than anything elsewhere on the trailer.

If I were you, I'd add a bike rack onto the tongue of the trailer, this would be way more stable. Plus if there is a problem with the bikes on the rack, at least you'll probably notice it quicker if the rack is on the front of the trailer.

I just noticed that the brochures for FF have a bike rack as an option but don't show any pics. You may want to look into that.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #3

Default spare tire holder weight tolerance

Thx a bunch for your early response. I know what you mean about seeming fragile nature of the spare tire holder. It looks like four bolts holding onto something, what I do not know. I have a query in at my FF Dealer, so maybe they can tell me. Cdn Tire sells a handy dandy bike rack for the spare. I don't wish to put much more on to the tongue of the trailer, what with equalizer hitch, dual propane etc etc. Its not the weight so much as lack of space. I had a spare tire bike rack on a 30' fifth and it seemed fine, but I am leary of what I see on this set up.

Ian Parsons
Courtenay BC
Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #4

No Problem.

This is the type I was thinking of. They sit up above the tanks, so you can still access everything.

http://www.nextag.com/ProRac-Tent-Tr...7B0CC923FA5C8A

There is a better one, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit.. foundit...
http://www.toppoprails.com/Traveltrailer.htm
Old 04-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #5

Default Bike Rack

Thx for all the info. Prices for these over the tank rigs are right up there. I have a query into FF to see what the spare tire holder will hold, but am not optimistic. Bit of a dilemma, wot. Another option is the rack that goes on the the roof of the TV.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #6

Default GMC Aacadia

BTW, how do you like towing with the Acadia. I was admiring one not long ago when I stumbled across an '08 Chevy Trail Blazer, which is now in our garage. We have not towed with it as yet, but will later this week. Quite a step up from an Equinox, but the Equinox was right at its tow limit with the 189FBS, mebbe a bit over. It handled it quite well, but was short on power. The Blazer has a 295 HP straight six, and has quite a good rep as a TV.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #7

You could try building one similar to the above tank rack.

To be honest, I haven't towed anywhere yet (bought Acadia in March) except to the RV Service shop. But that was 45 mins away and it towed it like a Champ.

Everything about the Acadia indicates it will be a great tow vehicle. Long wheelbase, 275hp/275tq, 6 speed and low center of gravity (relatively speaking).

I was also looking at a Trailblazer SS before I bought the Acadia. But the 7 passenger seating with quad captain's chairs is what sold me.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #8

Can anyone say whether two bikes could be mounted on the back of a spare time on a Jeep pulling a Fun Finder? I have a Jeep Liberty and ideally I could buy a two-bike rack that mounts on the back of my Jeep's spare tire. That would allow me to unhitch the trailer and take my bikes with me. But I haven't actually acquired my Fun Finder yet so I don't know whether there would be sufficient clearance to do that.
LongFeltWant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #9

I would highly doubt you would be able to fit two bikes on the spare tire of the Jeep + hitch up.

One thing for sure, you wouldn't be able to open the tailgate/hatch.

If you haven't bought it yet, I'd look for a roof rack.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #10

Default Tire mounted bike rack

My dealer was speaking with a "sales rep" from Funfinder who "thinks" the spare tire holder is rated for 200 lbs, although no documentation to that effect seems available. If this is so, I can easily sling my two lightweight bikes onto the spare tire. HOWEVER, I will seek out a more documented response. I can just see everyone running for the hills if these bikes tear the spare tire holder right out of the back of the trailer. If it can be done, it certainly solves a thorny problem. Putting bikes up front over the propane tanks just will not work for me, what equalizer hitches, need for accessiblility etc etc. Will keep you posted
Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #11

Default spare tire holder weight limit

I put this elsewhere on the website, but I was able to contact someone direct at FF who informed me that the spare tire holder has no weight tolerance for anything but one wheel and one tire. They recommend against putting anything else on that holder.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #12

I have a final word about bike racks and Fun Finders.

I pulled a T-139 (15-foot Fun Finder) behind my Jeep Liberty this summer. I have a Thule bike rack on the spare tire of the Jeep, but the bikes will NOT FIT on that rack when the trailer is hitched up.

Furthermore, the spare tire on the Fun Finder is NOT SUFFICIENT for attaching a bike rack. It is a flimsy sort of spare tire mount, just good enough for the tire itself.

For me, I had to put the two bikes inside the trailer as I rolled. That was a minor hassle which I didn't mind (and didn't have a better option).

Good luck.

LongFeltWant is offline   Reply With Quote

« T139 | 2010 189FDS »