Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #1

Default Where do you store your waste hose!!??!

Hey everyone, I just picked up our first Afun Finder (first travel trailer ever really), and we are really excited to start using it. I do have one major question however: where in the heck do you guys store the waste hose when there is no bumper on the real to slide it into?!mi have a new how now, so it is in the main storage bin, but after Lu camping trip this weekend, I will not want to put it back in there!

Anyway, please pass along Amy solutions that you may have found!

Kjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #2

The XT276 has a black plastic tube with vented screw on ends attached to the underside near the front.

At first I thought it was ABS plastic schedule 40 pipe but it's a thinner walled pipe about 4" in diameter and maybe 3' long.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #3

And the 189 FDS also has that tube under the camper for that, but I don't use it. I like to be able to leave the connector fittings on my RhinoFlex hose, so I bought a plastic tub at Lowes that is about 24"x18"x8". The hose fits in there, the lid locks on, and it goes in the front storage compartment.
When I disconnect the hose at camp, I slip a one gallon HD ziploc bag over each fitting at the hose end, and slip a rubber band on it.
I also use disposable latex gloves when handling it, and keep a bottle of hand sanitizer and some paper towels in the forward compartment.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #4

We have a 210UDS and the bumper is a 4-inch square bumper.
We mounted a tube under the trailer, just in front of the wastewater dump valves. We could have gone with PVC tube from any hardware store but went with the tubes designed for the purpose. Pick your mounting points, you may have to use metal strapping if both mounts don't exactly match up to a beam/support under the trailer. Figure out how long your sewer hose is when compressed, get the correct length tube.
Also - some of the more sturdy/upgraded sewer hoses may be a bit wider than the inside diameter of the tube - we took a dremmel and shaved down some of the sewer hose's grip tabs.
But it works great.
We fold out 30-amp power cord into fourths and stow it in the bumper. But we drilled holes through the bumper and end cap and inserted a 4-inch pin with cotter pin on the end to keep the caps on.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #5

Thanks for all the replies everyone! We are on our first camping trip with the trailer right now, but purposely went to a park right next to a town so that we could go buy anything that we forgot or needed to alter (the waste hose storage for example!) so I will be heading to a hardware store today to pick up some ABS to put together a storage location!

Thanks again for the great ideas everyone!
Kjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Site Team

Here's another option that's on my to-do list:

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/RV-Sewer-Hose-Storage.html
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #7

Default brand of hose that will fit it front tube

Does anyone know what brands with the connectors will fit in the front tube? I had a camco that fit in the bumper of my old trailer but the connector won't go in the FF tube. I like the looks of the dominator hose system but want to make sure it will fit before I order one.

Thanks
Fredericksburg, Va.
RiverBend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:31 PM   #8

Great Idea.... I'm gonna check that out soon.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:05 AM   #9

It's a thread resurrection from four years past ! Since I posted in this thread in May of '12, I have added a storage solution to the back of my 189FDS. My trailer came stock with no back "bumper". I attached a 5" square vinyl fence post across the back, with a slide in plastic gutter. Since it is 5", all the hose end fittings will fit inside as assembled on the hose. Works well and looks factory installed.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
Here's another option that's on my to-do list:

RV Sewer Hose Storage

This is basically what I did .. before I saw this.

The round tube on the FF will not accept the ends on the Rhino Flex sewer hose but the above shown 5x5 holder will.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #11

Hi Kjones,
Welcome to the Forum and can't wait to hear about your first camping trip ...

As far as dump hoses are concerned... I have two PVC tubes under my FF XT-190, but the hoses are too long... So, I pretty much do the same as GMW and store the hoses in a plastic box in the forward storage bay... I have changed and added different end connectors that wouldn't fit in the tube anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photographics View Post
And the 189 FDS also has that tube under the camper for that, but I don't use it. I like to be able to leave the connector fittings on my RhinoFlex hose, so I bought a plastic tub at Lowes that is about 24"x18"x8". The hose fits in there, the lid locks on, and it goes in the front storage compartment.......
BTW, Remember water is your friend and use plenty in the Black Water Tank... Don't go crazy, but you do not want the solids to cake up in a pile. I flush my holding tanks well and run water through the tanks and hose or hoses until the water runs clear. I carry two 5 to 10 foot extendable hoses and use as needed, depending on the distance from the dump connector pipe... earlier this year we used almost all twenty feet of drain hose to reach the dump and couldn't get any closer!) I added the clear 90 deg coupling at the end of the hose and changed the dump valve cap to a clear cap with a tiny drain cap... in case your valve leaks... good to know before taking off the large cap...

Good luck and hope to share a campfire sometime...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #12

Our 189FBR came with a short tube attached underneath. We purchased a ready made tube kit (42" Or so) at Camping World which my husband installed longitudinally along the side of the front of the trailer. It fits both hoses now but he keeps the fittings in a separate container. We agree with John about keeping enough liquids going into the black tank. Someone even suggested that men should not skip using the trailer toilet for that reason. We don't dump right after camping but do it before arriving home nearby. That way it gets broken up pretty well before dumping. I also treat it with the normal chemicals frequently and use a cup of Dawn and a cup of Calgon to the empty tank every so often. Dawn is great for every cleaning project and the Calgon makes things slippery (a surfactant?).
Oh, there is a guy on YouTube that has conducted tests that seem to show that the clear fittings (which we have) and the ice cube cleaning trick are both pretty useless for cleaning the tank and knowing that they are clean. Probably best to do it with the hose fitting designed for the purpose.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #13

Well, two days ago we sold our precious 1982 Kit Companion. So now we are totally committed to our "new" 2008 189FBR. Even though the Kit was 1 foot shorter, it had more room inside and we still have not managed to fit all of our usual gear into the new rig...and that is not counting our usual store of clothes. We'll manage I suppose. I'm still puzzling over the hose storage issue and I think I will try the 5" fence post idea that someone posted a few comments back. I'll keep you posted....ha.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
Well, two days ago we sold our precious 1982 Kit Companion. So now we are totally committed to our "new" 2008 189FBR. Even though the Kit was 1 foot shorter, it had more room inside and we still have not managed to fit all of our usual gear into the new rig...and that is not counting our usual store of clothes. We'll manage I suppose. I'm still puzzling over the hose storage issue and I think I will try the 5" fence post idea that someone posted a few comments back. I'll keep you posted....ha.
Yes, tight quarters. But I am thinking that we have packed way too much kitchen stuff into our 189FBR. We outfitted the hanging closet with drawers because most of our clothes can just be folded. We have a hanging rack on the bathroom door for jackets. The real test will be our nine night September trip to the UP. I posted some pictures of our storage mods in the gallery.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Yes, tight quarters. But I am thinking that we have packed way too much kitchen stuff into our 189FBR. We outfitted the hanging closet with drawers because most of our clothes can just be folded. We have a hanging rack on the bathroom door for jackets. The real test will be our nine night September trip to the UP. I posted some pictures of our storage mods in the gallery.
Hi Mich...
I love your post about "Too Much Kitchen Stuff" and as I made a pact to myself years ago that I would do all the cooking and camping chores. Being in the tight space of a small trailer, space can become a real issue and I am a PITA and "animal of habit" ... 1st NO D#$n plastic bags for storage containers, everything MUST be put back in the same place, and ALL dishes done and put away after each meal!!! If one doesn't follow these simple rules, in short order, nothing can be found, and the trailer is a pig pen...

I'll have to post some inside pics when I get the FF set up next week... It being a Toy Hauler actually offers less storage space. Like you, I converted the short hanging closet, but I went to shelves with pull-out trays. I added a pan/pot rack in the kitchen to hang the fry pans, griddle, sauce pan, etc... up to about 6 pans...

To do's next week... Add the fold down counter extension in the doorway and get the new TV antenna & channel finder in... And repack everything... Hope my knee holds out...

I am sorry Chirpz,
I just jumped in and started rambling on about what I have & Have to do ON YOUR POST... my apologies...

Old 07-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #16

I'm always amazed at the amount of storage in those classic canned ham trailers. Lots of drawers, counter space and overhead storage as well. But they had minimal bath facilities and no under carriage storage. And no queen beds. I do wish we had some real under bed storage and full storage under the dinette seats. Hey, enough griping. We love our little trailer and think it's just fine for the two of us. And we feel fortunate to have found it. We do use the overhead bunk space with it up for an extra blanket, a propane coffee maker, a toaster, a small electric heater, a small fan and books. It works well with the thin mattress for padding.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #17

Here is how I ended up doing mine a few years ago. Five inch fence post wrap, piece of vinyl gutter, a couple pieces of old broom handle for divider/handle. I had some misc pieces of 1/8" aluminium bar stock I used for brackets. Turned out just taking a couple of the bolts for stab jacks provided a good place to attach brackets. Pop rivet right side end on. Drilled several holes in bottom so it can all be rinsed out with garden hose.

I hope this all makes sense.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #18

GMW... WHAT A GREAT IDEA AND THANK YOU FOR THE PICS AND EXPLANATION!!!!!

I am going to start building one... Hmmm, or two as soon as I get to Menards or some other Big Box store... You have opened a bunch of ideas and my brain just went into overdrive...

In looking at your pics, it appears that you had to remove any hose-90 deg bends, etc. ... Is that correct ???

Thanks again for the post...

Old 07-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #19

Hi John,

I'm glad this inspires someone else to do a mod that makes the whole process so much easier.

What you see is exactly how I store it and those are the exact pieces I use each and every time. So in other words, I would "disassemble" them as seen here anyway. This way I can easily attach the 45 degree clear piece at the dump valve on the trailer, then spin the round adapter onto the sewer port of the CG site, then attach the hose.

The main thing is that the five inch fence post is big enough to leave the ENDS of the rhinoflex on the hose. I don't think a four inch square post is big enough inside to leave the hose ends assembled on the hose. I would NOT want to have to take the ends off the hose each time.

The way I have it here, each attachment is just a 1/8 turn to assemble the joint.

By the way, here at least in my town, Lowe's does NOT carry the five inch sq fence post, but Home Depot does.

Happy Independence day to all, and a belated happy Canada day to our friends to the north.

EDIT: by the way, this mod is dirt cheap. Probably don't have $20 or so in it all.

EDIT 2: some people put hinges and and a latch on the end cap on the left end. I just use a very short small bungee cord as you see here. I also "made" a big....well, it's essentially a "safety pin" made out of coated coat hanger wire .....that can go thru that hole there you see on the back edge of the removable end cap. It goes all the way thru and out the front of the five inch sq tube. A little added insurance to keep it closed
Old 07-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #20
APD

I want to make one too!! Thank you sir for the pictures and info! I may also make a smaller one for the front!
I'll still need a box, just a lot smaller box. Our discharge line opens straight down and is too close to the ground for a 45 so it requires a 90 degree bend.

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote