Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #1

Default winter camping

2011 - 215 fun finder
Has anyone out there tried camping in winter weather with their camper before winterizing it.

My husband would like to take the camper MN hunting. They sometimes go for 5 days, so in MN you can go from a 60 degree day down to 30 degrees at any time.

There isn't water or electric available at the hunting grounds, but would like to fill the water tank and use the facilities. We do have a generator. Any ideas or suggestions.
Patty

pattygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #2

This time of year, temps can drop well below freezing quickly.

I'd winterize the unit and forget about using the water or sewage system in the camper.

Take bottled water and a porta potty.

Old 10-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #3

If it's not lower than about 20 degrees, yes you can go winter camping! There is this product called Ultra Heat cable that wraps around the output tube of the fresh water tank -- it draws about 2 amps. So with enough solar or a generator, you can camp without having the water freeze.

I just spent ten days in the Sierras with night-time temps in the high teens, and the cable works!

I doubt it would work in ten degree weather, though.

Some folks winterize and then go camping by keeping drinking water in the trailer and keeping the trailer above freezing. That seems pretty hard core to me -- no shower?! But hardy outdoors people seem not to mind.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:01 AM   #4

I have and do camp in the winter without hook ups. I just keep the propane heater and water heater running. Never had an issue. My camper has the fresh water tank under the bed not under the trailer. I just put RV anti freeze in the black and grey tank cause they are under the frame.
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #5

I am using mine as we speak, night time lows of -12C (10F) and sometimes just above freezing during the day. RV anti freeze in the waste tanks and leave the hot water heater on. No issues for 3 weeks so far.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #6

Default winter camping

Silverado, is your water tank under the bed or under the camper. And how much anti-freeze do you put in the waste tanks, it's cheap enough so more is probably better than less.
thanks
pattygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #7

I usually dump about a quart in the black and Gray. There is other stuff in the grey tanks that lower the freezing point as well.
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #8

I winterize my trailer and still go camping. I carry water jugs and skip the shower and stay were there are toilet facilities, even if just pit toilets. My water tank is inside the frame so would freeze, but I am considering adding a tank inside the heated storage under the bed just for winter camping. I can remove the tank for warm weather.
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygary View Post
Silverado, is your water tank under the bed or under the camper. And how much anti-freeze do you put in the waste tanks, it's cheap enough so more is probably better than less.
thanks
My tank is under the floor between the axles. I put a couple liters in each tank.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:58 AM   #10

Not so sure that would be "my cup of tea" but may give it a try sometime. My storage arrangement makes it hard to retrieve the camper once it's tucked in for the Winter.
Even though my water lines are "inside" the shell of my '07 X-210, they do run low and along the perimeter behind walls and cabinets where, I'm sure, the temps are closer to the "outdoor" temps than they are to the heated camper interior. The only way to wrap those lines with a "heat cable" would be to do it while the camper was being built.
I do have a couple of clear plastic 5 gallon (19 L) jugs with screw on caps that I bring along with me when I know that water hook ups aren't going to be available. They would provide enough water for manually flushing the toilet and bare bones dish washing. A case of bottled water and 10 gal (38 L) of general purpose would likely outlast my enthusiasm for Winter camping �� but if not, I could refill the jugs at WalMart and buy another case of bottled water!
Winter camping would be a bit of an adventure but could be fun. It's too late for it this season but now that you guys have me thinking about it, I may have to arrange things with my storage guy for a late drop off or early pick up next year��.
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:29 AM   #11

A crisp 13 degrees here this AM.

Winter camping is not my idea of a fun thing to do when there is the entire summer with warmer weather.

Much like ice fishing ... WHY sit out on the cold ice when you can go to any convenience store and get bags of ice. LOL
Old 10-31-2019, 09:40 AM   #12

Why?? Because it's fun! And because the view from the breakfast table at my stick house never looks like this:

Click For Full-Size Image.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
A crisp 13 degrees here this AM.

Winter camping is not my idea of a fun thing to do when there is the entire summer with warmer weather.

Much like ice fishing ... WHY sit out on the cold ice when you can go to any convenience store and get bags of ice. LOL
Ya, it dipped into the teens (F) in Wisconsin (west central) overnight and may do the same tonight. Snow is also in the forecast! Too, early for this type of weather. I guess the Winter campers would like it tho as they don't have to wait until late November (like it used to be ).
I'd comment on ice fishing but don't want to be accused of hijacking the thread.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote