Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #1

Default Winter TV storage ??

When you store your camper for the cold winter months, do you remove the flat screen TV and store it in your home ~ or leave it in below zero winter temps stored in your camper?

I've been told flat screens should be not left in sub zero temperatures so remove mine and stored it in the house over the winter months.

What say you?

Old 03-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #2

I concur LED and LCD screens do not like really cold temps. I'm also leary of extreme ranges of temperature causing extreme ranges of expansion and contraction. As a result, I usually leave a small space heater in the camper anytime it's below freezing and never let the cabin temp drop below 40 degrees. The Heart of Gold is currently at the dealer getting the leaks fixed under warranty so I naturally removed the LED flatscreen since it will be below freezing while it's in their storage.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
roy

I leave it in. But I don't live in Siberia either.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy
I leave it in. But I don't live in Siberia either.

Siberia:
With an extreme subarctic climate (Köppen climate classification Dwd), Oymyakon is known as one of the candidates for the Northern Pole of Cold, the other being the town of Verkhoyansk. The ground there is permanently frozen (continuous permafrost).

On February 6, 1933, a temperature of −67.7 °C (−90 °F) was recorded at Oymyakon's weather station.[7][8][9] This is, along with the same reading at Verkhoyansk, the lowest recorded temperature for any permanently inhabited location on Earth. It is also the lowest temperature recorded in the Northern Hemisphere.[8] Only Antarctica has recorded lower official temperatures (the lowest being −89.2 °C (−128.6 °F), recorded at Vostok Station on 21 July 1983.)[10][11]

The weather station is in a valley between Oymyakon and Tomtor. The station is at 750 meters (2,460 ft) and the surrounding mountains at 1,100 meters (3,600 ft), causing cold air to pool in the valley: in fact, recent studies show that winter temperatures in the area increase with altitude by as much as 10°C (18°F).[12]

Sometimes the temperature drops below 0 °C (32 °F) in late September and may remain negative until mid-May. In Oymyakon sometimes the average minimum temperature for January, February and December remains below −50 °C (−58 °F). Sometimes summer months can also be quite cold, but June and July are the only months where temperature has never dropped below −10 °C (14 °F). Oymyakon and Verkhoyansk are the only two permanently inhabited places in the world that have recorded temperatures below −60.0 °C (−76 °F) for every day in January.[13][14]

Oymyakon has never recorded an above freezing temperature between October 25 and March 17. [15]

Nope, not that cold in the upper midwest of the USA! Although I have seen near -40 degrees and wind chills near -80 below.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #5

And I thought growing up in Winnipeg was bad

Old 03-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #6

When attending NDSU in Fargo North Dakota, there was a 2 week period when the temp never got above 20 below zero.

Had to dig out a warm jacket that winter.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
When attending NDSU in Fargo North Dakota, there was a 2 week period when the temp never got above 20 below zero.

yasiirr, you betcha eh ?

Old 03-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels with Yoly
Quote:

yasiirr, you betcha eh ?
You know what, I lived in Fargo for about a year back in the mid 60's and never once did I hear anyone talk like ~ only in the movie 'Fargo'

Jollywood false interpetations again!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #9

I grew up in Canada and never heard anyone say "Eh" after everything until Doug and Bob McKensie (Dave Thomas & Rick Moranis) started doing it on Second City's "The Great White North". However, since then I recognize it frequently in almost every Canadian I meet. When we traveled Minnesota last year we frequently heard a local form of "yes" when most young people would quickly reply, "yep, yep". I have heard the Fargoesque dialect in various forms from other older Minnesotans and I don't think that Hollywood completely created it totally out of the blue without some reference at it's origins. I also can't explain why the Minnesota dialect automatically transfers to North Dakota though as in the movie.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #10

Never heard of the "eh" thing but have heard many people respond with Yep or Yup instead of saying yes, and that is not restricted to any particular local in the USA.
I've traveled most states except extreme NE area. Most notable is the southern dialect and drawl ~ and calling everyone 'honey' for some reason.

Oh, and the ones that end every sentence with "you know" and or the overuse of the word 'like' every third word.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #11

Just for clarification, it wasn't yep or yup .... it was a quick repetition of yep repeated as in "yep yep". This was unique as far as we had ever been exposed to.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:38 AM   #12
Site Team

I used to live in upstate New York, not that far from the border. Lots Canadians coming to the US and us Yanks heading into Canada. Not so much of the 'eh' thing since in Quebec they speak French!

Now after the years of shoveling snow I live where the sun shines 360 days out of the year. Oh, and I don't have to worry about the TV freezing either. It sometimes will dip below freezing for a few hours but that's it. With the trailer safely tucked away in it's carport it won't get below freezing inside.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #13

Yoly said ". I have heard the Fargoesque dialect in various forms from other older Minnesotans..."

Thinking back and a little research led me to believe the 'Fargoesque dialect" could be the evolution of a German-Russian heritage merging into speaking English.

This article touches on that aspect:
http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/grhc/a...ws/mnhutt.html

and

http://library.ndsu.edu/grhc/history...uccessful.html

Hutterites are a religion based group of German-Russian heritage who live in a communal setting where everyone works for the good of the community as a whole. They are primarily farmers (and good ones) but in recent years have expanded out into other industries run from the Hutterite Colonies. The Hutterites tend to mix German/Russian and English together.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #14
roy

Come to Ms and hear plenty of 'ya'll' we are famous for it

BOT though it does get colder and wetter than in years past here and I don't think I'm imagining it.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #15

Roy ~ that is because of global warming!!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #16

98% of all the world's leading climate scientists have gone on record detailing how Global Warming causes the natural swings of climate to intensify. Warmer periods will be warmer and colder periods will be colder. Not too hard to understand as I see it happening in my lifetime.

I moved to Georgia from Southern California exactly 25 years ago. I was into boating and fishing at the time and we bought a home on a large lake with a private boat dock. I would take the boat out and fish almost every night after dinner since it was so convenient to do so. My perception of winter was the brief period where it was simply too cold to tie knots and I pulled the boat out for routine maintenance. I couldn't wait for February and mid month routinely brought temps into the middle 50s (and higher) which was the temperature where my fingers were able to perform that task. That period today doesn't happen until mid-March now.

Here's a picture of Huntington Beach, California from a couple days ago and people living there claim to have never seen this before in their lifetime.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Yoly said ". I have heard the Fargoesque dialect in various forms from other older Minnesotans..."

Thinking back and a little research led me to believe the 'Fargoesque dialect" could be the evolution of a German-Russian heritage merging into speaking English.

This article touches on that aspect:
http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/grhc/a...ws/mnhutt.html

and

http://library.ndsu.edu/grhc/history...uccessful.html

Hutterites are a religion based group of German-Russian heritage who live in a communal setting where everyone works for the good of the community as a whole. They are primarily farmers (and good ones) but in recent years have expanded out into other industries run from the Hutterite Colonies. The Hutterites tend to mix German/Russian and English together.
Hey Eagle,

Those articles were quite interesting and do explain a lot, especially the connection between Minnesota and North Dakota. I remember growing up in Manitoba and that my mother would point out Hutterite communities to me and tell me about their lifestyle.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #18

I got to know some Hutterites fairly well as they used to shop in the store where I worked.

George would often stop in, sometimes several times a week. I asked what he was doing in town again. He said had to take the women to the doctor appointments as the women are not allowed to have drivers licenses. I asked why. His wife said: "Cause they would be in town all the time shopping."

One time it was mentioned about one of the younger ones returning to the colony after leaving. He said if a boy leaves, it's a 50% chance they will return. If a girl leaves, only 1 in 100 will ever return. They try to convince them to return but do not force their return or shun them for leaving.

George also said once they had a very intelligent boy who received high grades. The colony elders decided they should send him to medical school to become a doctor and tend to the colonies medical needs. The Colony paid all the education costs. The boy did graduate from medical school and became a licensed doctor. He returned to the Colony and practiced medicine for about a year .... then left. The elders decided they would never do that again as it was a bad investment for the Colony.

The girls work hard in the gardens, baking, canning, cooking, cleaning, etc. which is why they never return if they leave. The boys do the farm work, run all the farm equipment planting, fertilizing, harvesting, etc. The older ones, about 40 and up are mostly supervisors.

The Colony preacher carries alot of 'weight' in the Colony ~ like the Colony President in a way. IF the preacher says it's ok, they can have a TV, Radio, etc.

In the last 10 years, some Colonies started giving each person a monthly allowance so they would have a little spending money. Before that, only a very few the Colony had access to money and could purchase items.

Just a few things I've learned about Hutterites.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #19

I admire anyone with the dedication and commitment that they have, especially under the principals of their doctrine.

Makes me think of the first travel trailer we owned .... advertised as Amish Built in Ohio. In fact the woodwork was far superior to anything else I'd ever seen but that's where their involvement stopped. The rest of the trailer was a disaster waiting to happen

Also, while launching a boat up in Indiana one time years ago, I found it curious that a young Amish couple had a small fishing boat powered by an old Evinrude. They were both dressed in the classic attire and he sported a large Amish beard. The most peculiar (and entertaining) part of this experience was the fact that the guy stood there on the dock with his arms folded while his wife performed the entire ritual .... she backed their truck down, got into the boat and started the engine, then backed it off the trailer and tied it to the dock where her husband was. Then she got back in their truck and parked the trailer. Then she got into the boat and sat down. Then and only then did he get into the boat, behind the tiller and motored off. I first thought it weird that they drove a truck, let alone a boat so I guess they must have been members of a more relaxed community.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels with Yoly
98% of all the world's leading climate scientists have gone on record detailing how Global Warming causes the natural swings of climate to intensify. Warmer periods will be warmer and colder periods will be colder. Not too hard to understand as I see it happening in my lifetime.

I moved to Georgia from Southern California exactly 25 years ago. I was into boating and fishing at the time and we bought a home on a large lake with a private boat dock. I would take the boat out and fish almost every night after dinner since it was so convenient to do so. My perception of winter was the brief period where it was simply too cold to tie knots and I pulled the boat out for routine maintenance. I couldn't wait for February and mid month routinely brought temps into the middle 50s (and higher) which was the temperature where my fingers were able to perform that task. That period today doesn't happen until mid-March now.

Here's a picture of Huntington Beach, California from a couple days ago and people living there claim to have never seen this before in their lifetime.

Global warming and cooling has occurred on earth for eons as science has proven.
This is a natural event and I do not believe humans have had any to very little impact on climate change.
The ash & CO2 thrown into the atmosphere from a single volcanic eruption had a larger impact than man has on the climate since humans walked this earth.
I believe human impact on climate changes is as great as the moon impacting the temperature of the sun.