Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #21

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. So far our 214 (a 2014 version) s holding up well (knock on wood), but we have only made a couple of trips so far.

Where was your leak in the bedroom at? What did they do to try and make the repair? We want to make sure we are keeping an eye on those areas.

We are headed out for a two week jaunt to the Finger Lakes and Niagara area in NY next week.

How is the adventure in Tahoe coming along?

getzold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #22
Site Team

If you haven't tried it already, there is a reset button on the heater itself. You have to take off the outside cover to access it.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by getzold
Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. So far our 214 (a 2014 version) s holding up well (knock on wood), but we have only made a couple of trips so far.

Where was your leak in the bedroom at? What did they do to try and make the repair? We want to make sure we are keeping an eye on those areas.

We are headed out for a two week jaunt to the Finger Lakes and Niagara area in NY next week.

How is the adventure in Tahoe coming along?
Originally, (on our first outing) we had a leak in the outside rear corner of the slideout with water running down the interior wall. I determined that water was getting underneath a strip of black vinyl tape meant to seal the joint between the horizontal surface and the vertical structure of the slideout frame. I simply ran a piece of Gorilla brand clear packing tape along the entire length of the vinyl strip sealing the edge of it. This fixed the leak for us for the following 6 weeks. A couple nights later I noticed water running down the interior wall from the lower corner of the wooden trim around the bedroom window (driver side). This created a small puddle on the flloor. Again, I simply used the packing tape around the entire perimeter of the window frame on the outside and this also fixed the leak for the remainder of the trip. I have used this clear packing tape for many years for a variety of things and like it because it leaves a minimal residue (unlike duct tape) and is waterproof. It is also somewhat inconspicuous due to its transparancy.

UPDATE: For some reason I'm finding that my old reliable packing tape trick isn't as nice as I thought it was relative to sticky residue after removing. I don't know if it's from getting so hot in the sun or the fact that it was left on for weeks at a time, but it seems to leave quite a bit of adhesive which I'm finding hard to remove now. It still is sealing very well however.

When we picked up the trailer from the dealer making the repair (after returning home) I expected to see my tape removed and a new piece of vinyl tape replaced. This was not the case .... everything on the slideout was exactly the way I left it with my packing tape in place. They had water tested it and found no leak so they likely didn't do anything. They did say that they removed the bedroom window, resealed and replaced it and then water tested it to their satisfaction. At this point, I don't see water running down the interior wall as before, but I do see puddles forming on the floor coming from beneath the "base board" covering the joint of the vertical wall with the floor. My concern now is that the water is leaking down between the inner and outer walls so it's hard to determine the extend of the leakage. Again, I taped off the window on the outside with my packing tape and the leak seems to have stopped.

So far our time as "work Kampers" at the KOA has been a revelation. It's way more work than we imagined and not something we would ever do again. It's a long story .... too long to go into here I shot some video this morning as we actually saw the sun for the first time since we got here 10 days ago, so I hope to have a nice little video up sometime this week later.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ
If you haven't tried it already, there is a reset button on the heater itself. You have to take off the outside cover to access it.
Thanks for the input LJAZ. I had removed the outside cover to look it over. There is a black rectangular component with two round rubber covers over two holes with the words "Push to Reset" clearly visible. Pushing in the rubber doesn't create or convey any kind of switch movement. Removing the two rubber discs reveals two white plastic tubes that seem to move a few millimeters in and out but they just don't seem to do anything that feels like any kind of switch movement. In any case, I tried pushing them with no results in heater function.

UPDATE: Not sure if pushing the reset buttons did it or not but the water heater is back functioning normally on 110VAC (probably did)

Old 05-24-2015, 10:37 PM   #25

Neil, I was thinking about you -- we just spent a week in the rain in a remote part of the Sequoias, and I was concerned that you would think that Tahoe gets a lot of rain -- which it usually does not at this time of year.

And then to come home and find out that you have a bad leak -- again!! Yikes. What a hassle.

You have had a heck of a run of bad luck. Hang in there!!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:14 PM   #26

Thanks for all the moral support fellow Fun Finders

We're tryng to stay positive but this work kamp program is kicking out butts. It's a beautiful place but the campground is very organic and nestled in the natural surrounding of the forest. This means that the sites are scattered between the rocks and trees with no pattern or logic so getting trailers in is a real chore. Half the sites here are tent sites so we're filled with large families with kids all having to use the camp restrooms (few self contained RV type units). Also, because we're in a forest and it's raining all the time all the kids are tracking mud throughout the rest rooms and they literally have to be cleaned evey hour of my shift .... it's back breaking work and I'm too tired to enjoy the surroundings otherwise.

But I'm trying to be optimistic

Old 05-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #27

Like some others, my biggest disappointment is that I waited "too long" to buy this travel trailer. I too camped all my life in tents ( both traveling in cars and on various motorcycles ), but I was waited until I was 59 years old to buy this trailer.
I suppose my next biggest disappointment is that I don't seem to get out as much as I'd like to. Even though I am "retired", I still have other interests that keep me busy part of the time.

I will say that maybe I just got lucky in getting a trailer that happens to be a pretty good one. I've only had minor problems with it, all of them easily fixed by myself. Part of my tolerance of this is that for "only" $14K out the door brand new, I did not expect this trailer to be perfect. Also, I go over this trailer literally inch by inch, several times a year and check for any potential problems. I have touched up caulking on seams, etc numerous times, and found such stupidity as wiring, water lines and even propane line routed through jagged holes cut through metal parts of the frame, etc, under the trailer. Any one, and every one of those places would have eventually resulted in a failure. All part of the game as I see it. Fix it correctly, and move on.

I was camped in the epic rains during the flooding in Colorado Sept 2013. 15" or so of rain fell over a period of about five days....the camper stayed dry inside, so like I said, I must have got lucky and got a good one.
Owning these RV's for sure requires "being a participant".....these things are not for someone who wants a low maintenance/no maintenance activity.
As I say to Michelle: "some assembly required".

geo
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photographics
Owning these RV's for sure requires "being a participant".....these things are not for someone who wants a low maintenance/no maintenance activity.
As I say to Michelle: "some assembly required".

geo
I was not lucky enough to get a good unit. But I was lucky to have a fine dealer who worked with me to correct my problems (so far, and now the warranty is over...).

And I did get encouragement from you guys on this forum (yes, I now often quote George's "some assembly required", as it helped me through the frustrations). I've learned a lot, but still wish I knew/could fix as much as you all do.

I know I'm sure not ready to give up - heck, this new phase of my life has only just begun...Abby's got a lot more sniffing to do!